Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
_MG_4013-Pano-X3.jpg

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Port Sand Point
March 2017

A view across the Irish Sea from Port Sand, close to Dounan Bay and Dally Bay on the North Rhinns coast.
The exposure time of around 7 seconds was enough to capture the motion of the rising tide as it washed against the rocks.
If you look closely, you can see some of the underlying rock that was quickly eungulfed by a powerful wave that rolled in, creating turbulent textures in the foreground.

Fuji X-T2 with XF 16-55mm f2.8 lens using LEE Filters 0.6 Proglass solid Neutral Density filter and 0.9 Neutral Density Hard Graduated filter.

6.5s / f16 / ISO 200

DSCF4405-small PL.png

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Port Sand Point
March 2017

A view across the Irish Sea from Port Sand, close to Dounan Bay and Dally Bay on the North Rhinns coast.
The exposure time of around 7 seconds was enough to capture the motion of the rising tide as it washed against the rocks.
If you look closely, you can see some of the underlying rock that was quickly eungulfed by a powerful wave that rolled in, creating turbulent textures in the foreground.

Fuji X-T2 with XF 16-55mm f2.8 lens using LEE Filters 0.6 Proglass solid Neutral Density filter and 0.9 Neutral Density Hard Graduated filter.

6.5s / f16 / ISO 200

View attachment 706454
Beautiful.

Reactions: Mark0

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
The last of my tilt-shift panoramas from the Japanese Gardens, I promise!
These were all a series of two images achieved by shifting left and right, then joined together in post-production to get the wide images shared. Much easier than taking my panoramic head and taking a series of images then combining them all in post!

_MG_4032-Pano-X3.jpg

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
There is a local power plant which I've shot multiple times, never totally happy with the results. This is one from 2014, but I went back recently and edited it anew from scratch. I posted a color version of this here before after I shot it.

Taken with a Nikon 24-70 zoom @ 34mm, f/8, 30 sec, ISO 64. Had a variable ND filter on the lens and can't recall what strength was used.

There was significant moiré on the face of the building which I only relatively recently learned how to fix in LR (thanks Kenoh!).

Converted it to B&W and decided I wanted to darken the sky, which ended up being a more involved process than I anticipated--the tones in the sky weren't even in the original and it took quite a bit of trial-and-error to introduce several exposure gradients in LR to make the sky seem smooth and less spotty. In the original, there is a tonal shift across the frame with the lower right being significantly lighter than the left--I actually toned this down a bit for this version though it is still present (lightened the left corner a bit and darkened the right corner a bit). There is no banding in an exported TIFF file or a large JPEG and the tonal gradations are smooth across the sky. Not sure how it will appear here with a smaller file (smallish JPEGs can sometimes create obvious artifacts in blue skies) ;)

34811731943_b212ae9084_c.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.