Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
loosepark.jpg

Shutter: 1/100 // Aperture: f/19.9 // Focal Length: 105 mm // ISO 100

No HDR on this, but I did use the Orton effect.

Great skateboarding photo! I had to do a second look when I saw who posted it. It's a little different style for you.

Me to, i had to look to times at who posted that image, a little shocker from Valdore, but a really cool picture, you can see how the skater is really concentrated/nervous about the landing...

Thanks guys. Indeed it's fun to try something different here and there. Just out of luck I happened upon these kids skateboarding; I asked if they minded if I snapped a few shots - it all made me realize sports photography seems like fun - albeit challenging compared to my usual subject matter which I am more accustomed to.

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
Just a quick shot after a visit today, not really sharp I'm afraid. An old (but renovated) mill and a brand new distillery building in a town famous for its liquor, Schiedam.

Schiedam.jpg

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Av. de la Grande Armee

Taken last spring from the Arc de Triomphe. Can't remember the precise settings. Going back this spring with my dSLR, so hopefully I'll get some better ones.

Olympus C-5050 P&S
HDR from one jpeg

de la Grand Armee
260967821_6A6be-L.jpg

EDIT...the sky really was that colour, though the HDR helped bring it to life a bit more.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Another one from Saturday...

skateboarding.jpg

Shutter: 1/200 // Aperture: f/5.7 // Focal Length: 24 mm // ISO 500

Think the shutter speed's a bit too slow for this to be really good (although skateboarding is good stuff to take pics of). 1/800 or 1/1600 might have been better, as, at 1/200, the blur is too small to really give a good indication of motion, but just enough to be distracting, and takes away from expression on the skater's face, if you feel it's a point of interest. (Someone before suggested "fear", which I don't think it is so much as just concentration. Once you've decided to jump in skateboarding, your fear-circuit has already got to be severly damaged) But hey, I don't know what's going through the guy's head.

1/200 is a bit of a no-mans-land of action photography. So yeah, jack up the shutter speed (/ISO if there's a dearth of light - I think the 5D does a good job of keeping noise to a minimum) or slow it down for better results.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Think the shutter speed's a bit too slow for this to be really good (although skateboarding is good stuff to take pics of). 1/800 or 1/1600 might have been better, as, at 1/200, the blur is too small to really give a good indication of motion, but just enough to be distracting, and takes away from expression on the skater's face, if you feel it's a point of interest. (Someone before suggested "fear", which I don't think it is so much as just concentration. Once you've decided to jump in skateboarding, your fear-circuit has already got to be severly damaged) But hey, I don't know what's going through the guy's head.

1/200 is a bit of a no-mans-land of action photography. So yeah, jack up the shutter speed (/ISO if there's a dearth of light - I think the 5D does a good job of keeping noise to a minimum) or slow it down for better results.

Indeed - when I got that picture on my computer my first thought was that I should have notched the ISO up to 1000 or even 1600 (it was out of direct sunlight) and then narrowed my aperture for a better depth of field so the skateboarding dude's facial expression would be more clear. I'll keep what you say about the shutter speed in mind for future action-oriented shots. Honestly, it was kind of a struggle to figure out how I should control my camera for this one, since I'm not accustomed to shooting "action" scenes.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Honestly, it was kind of a struggle to figure out how I should control my camera for this one, since I'm not accustomed to shooting "action" scenes.

I think we all have our 'comfort zones' in photography... where we know what we're doing. So maybe this is the opportunity to shoot some pix in a different style... :)

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I think we all have our 'comfort zones' in photography... where we know what we're doing. So maybe this is the opportunity to shoot some pix in a different style... :)

Right you are sir. What I'd love to do is go take pictures of a drag show. That would be hilarious not only because of the subject matter, but also from the inevitable struggle that will ensue trying to get the correct exposure in a dark and smoke filled drag club like that. What the hell, I figure. I don't have any pictures of drag queens in my collection yet! :D

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Mixed fortunes today...

I am now entitled to an avatar, which makes this the most exciting day since I had my tattoos removed... :)

But it's one year exactly since my dog went missing. Henry went out for a piss on March 2, 2007, and never came back... :(

henrydk7.jpg

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Mixed fortunes today...

I am now entitled to an avatar, which makes this the most exciting day since I had my tattoos removed... :)

But it's one year exactly since my dog went missing. Henry went out for a piss on March 2, 2007, and never came back... :(

henrydk7.jpg

Congratulations on your avatar. I'm still dreaming about one.
Sorry to hear about your dog. Must hurt that you don't know what became of him.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Mixed fortunes today...

henrydk7.jpg

John, that just breaks my heart, mate! :( That would have been very difficult for me to handle. He certainly looks like a great lad and must have been a wonderful companion. I can only say that in a properly good and decent world, your Henry got picked up by someone who now loves him, and eventually your paths will cross again here on this earth.

My rescued yellow lab, Charlie, was lost in Mexico until I bumped into him on March 19, 2007 - (That pretty girl in the pic is a sweet lovely I was traveling with named Trisha..)

DSC_2896.JPG

- and now he makes my life a whole lot brighter every day.

DSC_4718.JPG

I often wonder who rescued who. For all things that seem difficult, I'd like to think there is a higher meaning and logic to it all.

Cheers, mate. Oh, and I was wondering what seemed different about you today, and originally thought it must be how you were combing your hair...err, I mean eyebrows. But no! It's the avatar! That's great. I'm only around 80 posts away myself!!:)

PS: To forum monitors and white-glove nitpickers: Yup, I know the 1-photo rule, but I wanted to share the "before" and "after" with John, so I made them small. And I know I've told this story some months ago, but felt it was appropriate to repeat in this case. ;)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
John, that just breaks my heart, mate! :( That would have been very difficult for me to handle. He certainly looks like a great lad and must have been a wonderful companion. I can only say that in a properly good and decent world, your Henry got picked up by someone who now loves him, and eventually your paths will cross again here on this earth.

My rescued yellow lab, Charlie, was lost in Mexico until I bumped into him on March 19, 2007 - (That pretty girl in the pic is a sweet lovely I was traveling with named Trisha..)

- and now he makes my life a whole lot brighter every day.

I often wonder who rescued who. For all things that seem difficult, I'd like to think there is a higher meaning and logic to it all.

Cheers, mate. Oh, and I was wondering what seemed different about you today, and originally thought it must be how you were combing your hair...err, I mean eyebrows. But no! It's the avatar! That's great. I'm only around 80 posts away myself!!:)

PS: To forum monitors and white-glove nitpickers: Yup, I know the 1-photo rule, but I wanted to share the "before" and "after" with John, so I made them small. And I know I've told this story some months ago, but felt it was appropriate to repeat in this case. ;)

Thanks... I've had lots of 'sightings' of Henry, thanks to all the posters we put up with his picture - and our phone number - on it. But, well, there are an awful lot of black labs about. I like to think he's lying on someone else's hearth-rug, in front of somebody else's fire. But, in truth, he may have been run over by a car on the night he left, and all our searching may have been pointless... Ah well...

Wow, that dog of yours looks better now than it did when you picked him up...

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Taken in Cuba of an old Land Rover or Jeep, can't tell.

Attachments

• DSC_0323.jpg
    DSC_0323.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 121
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,104

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Taken last spring from the Arc de Triomphe. Can't remember the precise settings. Going back this spring with my dSLR, so hopefully I'll get some better ones.

Olympus C-5050 P&S
HDR from one jpeg

de la Grand Armee
260967821_6A6be-L.jpg

EDIT...the sky really was that colour, though the HDR helped bring it to life a bit more.

Very cool shot, love the colors!

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Taken today while hiking :) (Odonata: Zygoptera: Lestidae)

"On your mark, get set..."

Canon 400D + 100mm macro + Ring Lite
1/200, F9, ISO 200
Handheld

Attachments

• On your marks get set.jpg
    On your marks get set.jpg
    935.6 KB · Views: 180

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
With all of these dog pictures I mine aswell post mine. Sorry for two pictures, I'll try to conserve in the future :rolleyes:

Anyways, here is my German Shepherd Mika. Just turned 2 a few weeks ago.

This first pic isn't very good, but I like the concept of it...

EditedMikareflection.jpg

And here is a normal picture.

DSC00646.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.