Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Wow, what's that in the middle of the road in the distance? Looks like a building with a giant hole cut out for the road to pass through!

Sort of. It's la Grande Arche, which is part of the "business" area of Paris, known as La Defense. The road doesn't go through it.

It's a product of the Mitterand era (along with I.M. Pei's Louvre Pyramid); some like it, some hate it. I say, at least it's off in the distance, and you dont have to see it if you dont want to (which can't be said of the Tour Montparnasse, which ruins the landscape).

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
^ Very nice! ^

Mine for today is a shot taken at Worcester State Hospital, just a few miles from my house:

dsc0564mu1.jpg

Taken with my D70s and its kit 18-70mm Nikkor. Post processing done in Lightroom.

I love colors here.

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
Awesome pictures from everyone, almost makes me not want to post.

It was 78 degrees yesterday (36 today :eek:). I was heading to the park with the kids and I stopped to follow this little bird around with the camera. I like it :p

As always, comments and criticism welcome!

Hee ... Hee ... Hee ... I thought I was the only one who followed birdies around with a camera ... very cool and I am sure = serious fun. :D

jayfire124

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Corbiere Lighthouse Jersey

Canon 400D
Sigma 10-20
30 sec @ f14
ND Grad

Attachments

• IMG_6215-2.jpg
    IMG_6215-2.jpg
    856.9 KB · Views: 203

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Canon 400D
Sigma 10-20
30 sec @ f14
ND Grad

I love the scene and the overall atmosphere. Very nice composition. Only small niggles - the lighthouse appears to be tilted just a smidge, and I'm not sure if it's the result of post processing, or just your lens, but when viewed large size, there is a fair amount of apparent chromatic abberation on the edges of the distant horizon where dark meets light.

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
I love the scene and the overall atmosphere. Very nice composition. Only small niggles - the lighthouse appears to be tilted just a smidge, and I'm not sure if it's the result of post processing, or just your lens, but when viewed large size, there is a fair amount of apparent chromatic abberation on the edges of the distant horizon where dark meets light.

I noticed that too with the tilt to the structure, but if you check the level of the horizon, it seems to be ok. Maybe the lighthouse actually is tilted or it's the skewed perspective of the super-wide lens? I've heard the term 'chromatic abberation' but I guess I don't really know what it is cuz I don't see what you're seeing...

Nice image, btw, Jayfire124!

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
"Portrait of the pit reporter"

pitreporter.jpg

Shutter: 1/30 // Aperture: f/4.0 // Focal Length: 93 mm // ISO 3200

From my blog post:
This is Jay, one of my coworkers at the Kansas City Board of Trade. For as long as I have worked there, he has been astutely reporting trades taking place up to what we call “The Wheat Room,” where all of the trades, bids, offers, and spreads on hard red winter wheat are input into the data entry terminals and then disseminated to the rest of the world. Tuesday will be his final day, as he is moving on to other ventures outside of the Board of Trade.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I noticed that too with the tilt to the structure, but if you check the level of the horizon, it seems to be ok. Maybe the lighthouse actually is tilted or it's the skewed perspective of the super-wide lens? I've heard the term 'chromatic abberation' but I guess I don't really know what it is cuz I don't see what you're seeing...

Nice image, btw, Jayfire124!

Yeah, the horizon does look okay, so I guess it's the lighthouse. Must have been all that wind. The fringing at the edges of the dark rocks and the bright sky are what I'm talking about. It might not be chromatic abberation, but it's visible at 100% scaling. Here's a wikipedia definition, and a 100% scaled up crop of what I'm talking about...

lighthouse.jpg

At a smaller size it doesn't show up. I think the photo is a striking and well done image, but with just a couple of niggles, as I said. I agree it's a nice picture, Jayfire. Don't mind my pickiness. Sometimes these things are beyond our ability to correct without more expensive equipment (i.e. real expensive lenses...:)) or tricky software fixes. Sometimes oversharpening might make the edges too harsh also. Over and out.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
"Portrait of the pit reporter"

pitreporter.jpg

Shutter: 1/30 // Aperture: f/4.0 // Focal Length: 93 mm // ISO 3200

Hmmmm... 3200. What camera? I remember how fun it was to shoot 3200/6400 (w/ a 1-stop push) T-max. Anyway, it's a nice environmental candid, or feature shot. Could be wee bit sharper...and the hand with drink in the foreground doesn't help, but overall it works because the picture, along with your words, tells a story. Do I sense your photojournalist side coming out to play..?? ;)

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Hmmmm... 3200. What camera? I remember how fun it was to shoot 3200/6400 (w/ a 1-stop push) T-max. Anyway, it's a nice environmental candid, or feature shot. Could be wee bit sharper...and the hand with drink in the foreground doesn't help, but overall it works because the picture, along with your words, tells a story. Do I sense your photojournalist side coming out to play..?? ;)

Canon 5D - it is absolutely awesome in terms of performance at very high ISO. I noticed that hand in the way too - kind of bothered me - it's actually holding a note card, something those wheat traders record their trades with as they happen. :)

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
"the ambush"

While other photogs. were snapping pics of the beautiful sunset on wreck beach, I was hiding somewhere behind them snapping picks of THEM! *insert evil laugh*

(click on picture of bigger version)

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Canon 5D - it is absolutely awesome in terms of performance at very high ISO. I noticed that hand in the way too - kind of bothered me - it's actually holding a note card, something those wheat traders record their trades with as they happen. :)

You really dont like the hand? I think it adds to the overall ambiance of the photo. That Canon 5D must be a real jewel.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
You really dont like the hand? I think it adds to the overall ambiance of the photo. That Canon 5D must be a real jewel.

You know... the more I look at the picture, and I really like the way the 5D handles high iso grayscale (nice..!) the more I don't mind the hand, in fact it is growing on me (not literally, of course..:)) and now I'm seeing the frenetic action and hand/card waving of the trading pit right before my eyes. So, I changed my mind. Cheers!

jayfire124

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Yeah, the horizon does look okay, so I guess it's the lighthouse. Must have been all that wind. The fringing at the edges of the dark rocks and the bright sky are what I'm talking about. It might not be chromatic abberation, but it's visible at 100% scaling. Here's a wikipedia definition, and a 100% scaled up crop of what I'm talking about...

lighthouse.jpg

At a smaller size it doesn't show up. I think the photo is a striking and well done image, but with just a couple of niggles, as I said. I agree it's a nice picture, Jayfire. Don't mind my pickiness. Sometimes these things are beyond our ability to correct without more expensive equipment (i.e. real expensive lenses...:)) or tricky software fixes. Sometimes oversharpening might make the edges too harsh also. Over and out.

Thanks pdxflint and Otter for the detailed analysis. This is the kind of comments that I appreciate, an examination of an image and nit picking at areas that may not look so natural. I did sharpen and straighten the image in post processing. I must admit that my tripod wasn't exactly big and sturdy. I am interested in your comments pdxflint re expensive equipment. Do you think that the 5D would handle these issues in a better way??? I read all about the camera body not being important and just spending money on the glass. Confused !!! How important is the body for landscape pictures ???

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Thanks pdxflint and Otter for the detailed analysis. This is the kind of comments that I appreciate, an examination of an image and nit picking at areas that may not look so natural. I did sharpen and straighten the image in post processing. I must admit that my tripod wasn't exactly big and sturdy. I am interested in your comments pdxflint re expensive equipment. Do you think that the 5D would handle these issues in a better way??? I read all about the camera body not being important and just spending money on the glass. Confused !!! How important is the body for landscape pictures ???

It doesn't have anything to do with the camera body. Chromatic aberration, or other color fringing at areas of high contrast are usually caused by the paths of the different wavelengths of light (different colors) not converging at the same spot on the sensor perfectly - that's about as simple as I can get. It's the way the path of the light is concentrated and how stable it is, the factors which determine color accuracy and image brilliance, as well as sharpness and contrast. The "fix" for this is the use of low dispersion elements in the lens (at least one) which are made from special glass materials which reduce the tendency for glass to disperse or separate light rays into the colors of the rainbow. Different lens manufacturers call this type of element by various names; Low-Dispersion (LD) by Tamron, Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) by Nikon, Ultra-Low-Dispersion (UD) by Canon, Special Low-Dispersion (SLD) by Sigma and Super-Low-Dispersion (SD) by Tokina.

Generally, the less expensive lenses like kit zoom lenses are more susceptible to chromatic aberration, which can be seen on blowing up the picture and examining the details like bare tree branches against a white sky, where you'll often see purple fringing. More expensive glass is just better, and tend to have less of that.

The other thing with lenses used on digital SLRs is the tendencies toward spherical aberration (pincushioning, barrel distortion, light fall-off and softness near the edges.) Since the photo sensor in the camera is perfectly flat, and also reflective, this can cause specular reflection, which causes more flare and ghosting compared to the film surface in film SLRs. Also, light coming from an oblique angle out of the back of the lens causes problems with light fall-off in the corners because of the difficulty the pixel "buckets" have of capturing those oblique rays of light - result... vignetting. The "fix" for this phenomenon is the use of aspherical elements in the lens (one or more) to "straighten" out the light path before it hits the sensor.

These are generic issues with lenses used on dSLRs, and have largely been addressed by all the lens manufacturers, but clearly the better, more expensive lenses do a better job overcoming these design obstacles.

I noticed your photo was at 18mm focal length, you shot a Canon, so I'm going to assume it was the kit lens (18-55mm zoom.) That lens is not the best performer, meaning it will show some chromatic aberration (CA) issues in demanding shots, and the wider angle you use the tougher it gets to keep it in check. Some software programs can do post processing and remove some of the color fringing, but better glass gives you a better image to begin with. Of course, good glass ain't cheap... ;) That's why I still love my Nikkor 18-55 kit lens, and will keep on using it.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Re Pdxflint's post above...

95% of my shots are with a D200 and the 'kit' 18-70 lens. Why buy a posh body and a cheap lens? Well, I read it was a good 'un... and, yes, I think it is. It represents my first foray into digital photography, and, on the whole, I'm gobsmacked by the quality.

However, I'm not blind to the defects... maybe shortcomings is a better word. Some pix don't seem to work as well on digital as they did on film, and I'm slowly learning a) what these shortcomings are, and b) what to do about them.

The pincushioning is apparent on, say, an interior shot at 18mm. Some sunsets go almost 'posterised' (ie solid colours, with little or no gradation). I've got a pic of a churchyard full of daffodils and, for some reason, the yellow colour comes out solid too, rather than as individual flowers. Etc, etc...

The b) could include buying a better lens or two, except I can't afford to right now. It can also mean getting the best out of what I've got: ie f11 at ISO 100, with whatever speed is appropriate (I carry a compact tripod).

There's another point, too, which people seldom mention. If the pic is strong enough, that goes a long way to cancelling out any slight chromatic abberations, or other shortcomings. Just my two-pennorth... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.