Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I probably should have started a different thread rather than consume space here. :eek:

I think everyone so far has had great suggestions on how to improve this picture... from the composition, to the focal length and correction, to the bracketing and everything else. Thanks!

Frankie, I love the look that you've accomplished with my subject on the couch. I wonder if using a dodge brush in Aperture would achieve a similar effect to what you are proposing? I'm not a Photoshop guru, but that may have to change. :D

EDIT: I was able to achieve nearly the same effect on my subject by "dodging"... There's nothing that can be done about the sky it seams. The RAW just doesn't have anything there to work with. I also straightened the image but don't have any tools at the moment to correct the lens distortion.

Just a quick answer, the screen blending mode is basically dodging, just one without much guesswork needed. No bending curves or setting exposure level, etc.

As for the blown out highlight, they're gone. No data. You could use Photoshop to drop a subtle blue hue/sky into the blown out regions, but it's a tad trickier. Plus, not possible in aperture.

Take care

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Ice Auger

a thingie that digs holes:D

Attachments

• GetAttachmentCABT73CJ.jpg
    GetAttachmentCABT73CJ.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 84

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK

That has a great sense of action and movement!

This one from EDUC8R is beautiful ... it sums up Spring for me.

attachment.php

If I could make a small technical comment it would be that I would have liked to see the focus sharper on the central flower. The unopened one to its left seems to be sharper. Maybe that was intentional though, to get a softer feel?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Morro Bay, California.. Lol i put my sunglasses in front of the lens to give it this filter XD

{IMAGE}

Morro Bay also

{IMAGE}

Hi. Have a look at the post on page one. Please observe the One Per Day thing. There is a tutorial on how to quote images with thumbnails. Have a look at it.

Dale

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Been down in Vegas for WPPI the last few days, here's a shot of the MGM Grand (where it was) from across the street where I was staying:

mgm-grand-las-vegas.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II :: 23 mm :: f 11 :: 1.6 sec :: iso 320 :: Tungsten WB

rekud300

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Philly Airport

From my Layover at Philly airport. Tripod was in my checked luggage, had to steady the camera on top of my camera bag and put the lens right up to the window so I didn't get any reflections from inside.

Attachments

• DSC_0133.jpg
    DSC_0133.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 80

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Took this a while ago with my Fuji S5000, it's been edited quite heavily to really bring out the blue and yellow, but it's one of my favourites that I've taken with that camera.

Attachments

• Danboard (glasses).jpg
    Danboard (glasses).jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 77

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Took this a while ago with my Fuji S5000, it's been edited quite heavily to really bring out the blue and yellow, but it's one of my favourites that I've taken with that camera.

Very Nice! I wish i could find a Danbo of my own. I have sooo many wallpapers of him, and would love to shoot my own pics of him!

BryanBensing

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2009
Newbie here...

Hello there...

First time posting here and wanted to contribute in this great Thread...

Before anything I just wanted to say what incredible pictures you guys post here. Only professional quality pictures!

I'm not an expert (at all!) but learning slowly and I wanted to share a couple of pictures I took at the Miami Metrozoo last week with a Canon T1i I bought 1 month ago. Hope you guys like it.

Lion: http://www.loftsweep.com/IMG_0611.jpg
Canon T1i with EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens
ISO 100
160mm
0ev
f/5.6
1/250
Manual Focus
Metering Mode: Pattern

Flamingo: http://www.loftsweep.com/IMG_0562.jpg
Canon T1i with EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens
ISO 100
270mm
0ev
f/6.3
1/320
Manual Focus
Metering Mode: Pattern

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Morro Bay, California.. Lol i put my sunglasses in front of the lens to give it this filter XD
Awesome1.jpg
^^ Interesting Photo. I like the colors that the "filter" gives it. Nice and warm. Spontaneous ingenuity can be rewarding.

beta40.jpg

Okay, it's finished (art speak for: as of right now, but next week, maybe not).

<<||>>
My idea very early on was a thought about paralleling tattoo artist with an image of the WWII nurses I see images of. Each administers a needle in some way. And also inspired by the old nose art on military aircraft.
<<||>>
Anyway, yeah.
^^ Really like where this is going. The parallel to WWII "Poster Girl Fighter" art is great. Too bad so much of that is NSFMR, The makeup and costuming does convey that feel.

Its been a long time since I posted anything.

^^ Very nice image. I like the soft colors and tone here. The pallet, pose and expression are demure. To me...

Mine for today. Rusty truck in a field, Elbe, Washington.

oldtruck.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/400s f/8.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-300VC@30mm
Dale​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.