Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
bikese.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Strange light: more like autumn than spring...

farml.jpg
I find the light enchanting... the more I look at it. The slightly darkened moodiness of it suggests an unsettled, unpredictable day, where scattered gloominess dances around with those fleeting moments of pure lightness.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks!
Here is a picture I took of the setup I used to take that picture.

I took a piece of glass from a picture frame and sprayed it with RainX so that the water would bead up nicely. I then put a plate of M&M minis under the glass and then set the focus to manual and then focused on the image of the M&Ms in the drops. I used a Canon Rebel XTi with a Canon 100mm Macro lens. Lighting was an Alienbee B800 shooting through a white umbrella.

Very cute. There was a guy over on deviantART years ago who did this often. He told me about the RainX trick and I used it for a photo assignment in school. Very nice to see it come back. ;)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
spring afternoon at the old homestead...

I haven't really been out with my camera in a serious way for a little while... but have been experimenting a bit with LR3 for black and white conversions... this is a snapshot (sorry...) that I used to see what changing individual color values in LR would do (like filtration, I guess) in the b/w process - sort of like combining different filters without them offsetting each other. It definitely helped the sky and the vegetation... so it might have some real possibilities for shots that are already visualized for black and white... so we'll have to see. I'm definitely interested now to see how it works on better photographs.

Camera: Nikon D300 w/Nikkor 17-55mm
Exposure: 1/800
Aperture: f/3.2
Focal Length: 17 mm
ISO Speed: 200

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Thanks!
Here is a picture I took of the setup I used to take that picture.

candysetup.jpg

I took a piece of glass from a picture frame and sprayed it with RainX so that the water would bead up nicely. I then put a plate of M&M minis under the glass and then set the focus to manual and then focused on the image of the M&Ms in the drops. I used a Canon Rebel XTi with a Canon 100mm Macro lens. Lighting was an Alienbee B800 shooting through a white umbrella.

Extremely creative yet incredibly simple. Amazing. What inspired you to try or even think of this?

seattle

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Extremely creative yet incredibly simple. Amazing. What inspired you to try or even think of this?

Thanks! I wish I could take credit for an original idea but I saw a similar shot done at another forum and wanted to try it out.

Here is another shot from that shoot.

candy4.jpg

mikeschmeee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
seattle... your photo is so sweet! Sweet like candy my friend! hah. Hey, I was wondering... You have some type of "pocket wizard" like device mounted on your camera. What wireless device is that? Care to share? I've been meaning to pick one up.

Here is mine for today. I've been trying for two weeks now taking photos of some cherry blossom trees that have been blooming all over the place but I'm still not satisfied with any of them. This photo is alright to me. I like it but I could have done better.

I think I'm going to be taking a photoshop class. There are so many photos I have to edit but I lack the skill and I found out the hard way that CS2 is crappy with "photomerge" and other stitching techniques that I require.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
seattle... your photo is so sweet! Sweet like candy my friend! hah. Hey, I was wondering... You have some type of "pocket wizard" like device mounted on your camera. What wireless device is that? Care to share? I've been meaning to pick one up.

Here is mine for today. I've been trying for two weeks now taking photos of some cherry blossom trees that have been blooming all over the place but I'm still not satisfied with any of them. This photo is alright to me. I like it but I could have done better.

I think I'm going to be taking a photoshop class. There are so many photos I have to edit but I lack the skill and I found out the hard way that CS2 is crappy with "photomerge" and other stitching techniques that I require.

Your photo is nice. Enjoy the PhotoShop class. I found the three quarters I too very valuable.

Dale

Re: Seattle's device. This is from a quote a page or so back

It is a Cybersync CST wireless transmitter used to fire the Alienbee B800 strobe behind the umbrella.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
4433903651_0ce6424893.jpg

I went to eat with my parents this weekend, and we ate at this restaurant, and the service was great. This is a photo of my mum.

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Another attempt of food photography. Tried to apply everything everyone told me about my previous attempts. C&C would be very welcome.

4434044365_2806bb2920_o.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/713s f/6.5 25.4mm

Chef Jay

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Take a bow, chef... This is much better than your previous efforts... :)

Still a way to go, though, and food photography is all about creating an enticing illusion. Everything within the picture area should add something to the appetite-inducing mood... so maybe not a glass-topped table with a bit of rim showing. Maybe a simple cloth background would be better, in an appropriate colour, with one or two carefully chosen accessories to 'set off' the food.

The food is looking a bit more appetizing, but a way to go here too. The cucumber looks a bit limp. Instead of just creating a plate, then finding somewhere to put it... maybe think of making a small 'still life' set, with your food as one of the elements. It's the details that count.

Just my two-pennorth, chef. I'm not a food photographer, I just know what makes me feel hungry... ;)

I really like this: centre-placed figure and all. But I am 99.99% sure that the sun emerged from behind one of those gorgeous fluffy clouds, about 37 seconds after you pressed the shutter, and lit up the foreground in magical fashion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.