Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Fuel

Killarney village, Ontario. HDR treatment (handheld) gave this photo a little more umph than not.

4476169325_75c1976ceb_o.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Would have a been a great shot if you had focused on her.

Dude, it's perfect! : ) I love this!

^^ Hey, folks, please your image quotes. If you don't know how to do this go back to page one of this month and see the tutorial.

Everybody try your best to avoid consecutive posting. Some mods don't cotton to the practice and will hit you with a 0 point warning. I have one stuck in my UCP and it will never go away. Irritating.

Speaking of the Page One Project, it has been up for 30 days now and I would be interested in any comments. If you want to chew me out, just PM me. Otherwise, please check the discussion thread that set up the rules thing.

[URL="https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/869348/"]The link is HERE[/URL]

Dale

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Definitely noticed this one at first... and every time I see it I like it more.

Pink Chrysanthemum
4473550801_35fe408a55_b.jpg
This is a beautiful image with lovely tones. Very nice, subdued color palette. It would make a nice postcard or calendar shot.

DSC_0029.jpg

Any C&C Welcome! :)

Thanks
Where is this? It reminds me of the type of coastal terrain you see in lower Baja on the Sea of Cortez (or Gulf of California, as the Mexicans call it,) or somewhere in S. Africa, but the city/town/development on the other side intrigues me...is it an island? A peninsula? I like the shot, perhaps de-centering the land on the opposite side of the body of water in the frame might improve it slightly.

Very nice silhouettes. Great capture of the sky, pdxflint.

Here is mine for today:
6oc74c
Thanks. I love this shot...! Just love it. It's charming, and makes me want to just hang out there. You could make a poster with the Van Gogh and this both side by side... it would be really cool.
Killarney village, Ontario. HDR treatment (handheld) gave this photo a little more umph than not.

4476169325_75c1976ceb_o.jpg
I haven't seen the original, so I can't really compare on that basis, but my first impression is this seemed a bit flat, contrast-wise. (So often HDR usage does just that to my eyes, it renders a scene flat, yet does strange things to certain colors, reds, blues, greens, etc. etc...) To me this might have been a candidate for a b/w treatment, actually boosting the contrast, adding some grain/grit, to make it look a bit like an older, film shot. It would be interesting to see it that way. The vantage point would be perfect if a boat was preparing to tie up to the dock... so go back. Lots of potential here!!

Very nice. I bet those salmon were as pink as the sky ! Nice silhouette plus its neat to see the people between the fish. BJ
Thank you...Well, from the opposite, lit side they were a very warm, coppery color. They're made from steel and have a coat of rust on them, and they glowed. I took a few others from this photo's vantage point, and the best ones as far as people activity behind/through the silhouette weren't the best ones for sky/exposure... that's the way it is often in photography. I wasn't even seeing the people when I shot this, but they added an unplanned element to the separate exposures, which if it all came together would have been really neat.

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Wide lens is wiiide. San Diego's tallest building.
4475040157_e83d68877f_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/22.0
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
nicee nicee shot.

yeah, the earth hour shots are in the "Places" album and the video of the Strip is in my BLOG.

the automotible album was from the Injured Police Officers Fund Car show yesterday. its really cool to see a lot of old cars, i saw one from 1926, it was 84 years old and it still ran.

but thats cool, spend time with the parents. people take them for granted that they'll always be there for us. :)

Ah, you were Hiding them. Lol. Me and my dad have never had a good relationship, but Sunday was a great day. I didnt know about the cop car show until i saw it on the news, otherwise we would have been there too. We got some good pics from "Cadillac Through the Years" that was out at The District. I really dig my pic for today. It's a 1911 Cadillac, with the original engine still intact!

Pink Chrysanthemum
4473550801_35fe408a55_b.jpg

Wow! I cant wait until I'm taking pics like this.

C&C if you wish.
IMG_0009.jpg

ISO 1600
55mm
0ev
f/6.3
1/200

I agree with gnd, whats the subject? IMO, the hardest part about photography is learning to take photos, as opposed to snapshots.

Now for my pic for the day, as stated above,
this is a 1911 Cadillac, complete with the original engine!

Clickable...

EXIF Info:
Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15)
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 100

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Im going to have to try this out. Would this apply to something specific, like landscapes, or in just general?

I tend to have this in mind for a lot of things I shoot, although there are times when blown highlights in parts of the image are acceptable, eg. specular reflections, so it's not quite so easy to judge the exposure on the histogram...and it's not so easy to apply to fast moving action photography.

Thanks. While I was shooting film I relied on a hand-held light meter and darkroom techniques that are way out of date. I got my XSi in September '09 and switched to RAW in October. I do all my post in CS3. Six months. imN00B...

Part of the barrier I have to overcome relates to the posts regarding how technically advanced cameras have become. My camera is entry level for dslr. It's not complicated, but I still have a hard time trusting it to make decisions that used to be all up to me.

An understanding of the zone system is still a useful thing to have, but if you shoot raw and expose-to-the-right, then you can defer your placement of zones until the processing stage. This gives you more flexibility and the best chance of maximising the quality of the image.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I took this from the Chihuly Glass exhibit at the Missouri Botantical Gardens in late 2006. Used my Nikon D200 with a 50/1.8.

Attachments

• chihuly.jpg
    chihuly.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 116

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
4478325090_50170eafd5.jpg

This is my friend and me in her dorm room. She always helps me out on my projects when I need subjects to shoot.

damov2

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Cambridge, uk
Another shot of the pink chrysanthemum, i think this is still flowering.

Exif:
Camera:Canon EOS 40D
Exposure:0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture:f/13.0
Focal Length:60 mm
ISO Speed:100
Exposure Bias:0 EV
Flash:On, Fired

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Wow, many great photos are in this thread.

I wish I could go to those places and see them with my third eye.
But for now I have to do with what I have.

I found these in some old data processing centre, which was used as a night club and is now being surpassed by a habour.

4478841180_6e331a21ba_o.jpg

1/400 at f / 2.8
100mm with Canon Macro Lens USM EF 100mm
ISO 400
Canon EOS 450D

csjxx

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Definitely noticed this one at first... and every time I see it I like it more.

This is a beautiful image with lovely tones. Very nice, subdued color palette. It would make a nice postcard or calendar shot.

Where is this? It reminds me of the type of coastal terrain you see in lower Baja on the Sea of Cortez (or Gulf of California, as the Mexicans call it,) or somewhere in S. Africa, but the city/town/development on the other side intrigues me...is it an island? A peninsula? I like the shot, perhaps de-centering the land on the opposite side of the body of water in the frame might improve it slightly.

Its Cape Town in S.Africa so you nearly got it. The photo was taken from RobbenIsland, where Nelson Mandela was held captive. I have a few different variations of the photo but i thought this would be a bit arty by focusing in on the island shore and having Table Mountain out of focus. Oh well live and learn!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.