Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heron88

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Should have made that F/22. Good, none the less.

VirtualRain said:

pdxflint said:
Nice composition, like the curves of the road and bank of flowers and the use of lower right and upper left corners of the frame. The yellows seem a tad greenish, so maybe a very slight selective color adjustment to the yellows only to warm up their tone just a tiny bit. But overall, I really do enjoy this shot...I feel like I'm there.

Fujiko7 said:
Lovely composition.

Bitwise said:

zagato27 said:
I must have missed this one when first posted. I've seen other comments regarding composition and flowers and lovely.......yadda yaddda yadda. Heck, I just want to drive that road!

Thanks guys. I came across this on my way to Pismo Beach, CA. The short time during spring here in the central valley where the hills are green and all the wildflowers are in bloom really make it worth living here. In case any of you are in the area and would like to drive the road it's Highway 58 westbound. I've also heard from friends that all the other roads branching out from the central valley to the coast are also in full bloom, as well as the roads up into the sierras.

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
4454524066_cb37088e60_b.jpg

WardPhotography

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
"Into Each Other's Eyes"

DSC_0024a.jpg

Model(s): Larry and Mikaylynn
Date: July 26, 2009
Camera: Nikon D40X
Lens: 18-55mm
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 35mm
Lighting: Natural light
Other: Handheld

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Dale, it seems to me that you're trying to hang on to your traditional approach to exposure, that you would have used with film and apply this to your digital photos. If you're shooting jpegs, then this makes sense, but hopefully you're shooting RAW, in which case I'd suggest you would benefit from a different approach. For many situations, to get the highest quality digital image, you simply want to expose to the right. You want the image as bright as possible, without blowing the highlights and this is easy to check on the histogram. The image itself may initially appear too bright/over-exposed, but when you process the raw file you can easily make any adjustments you need to the brightness/tone/contrast and as long as the highlights aren't blown you won't have lost any quality. This is often the best starting point for maximising dynamic range/minimising noise.

Im going to have to try this out. Would this apply to something specific, like landscapes, or in just general?

Is it me and my tiny Blackbook screen, or is the tree in the foreground sharper than the faces? Fantastic shot, none the less.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Yeah, probably not the right thread for this discussion--it just was an impromptu subject... however one last little thing... you're close to where I was going, but take it further... to the actual fabrication of false images, so the entire construct is open to question. When the public comes to know and accept that virtually any photo is "doctored" or "'shopped," those who adhere to old principles will simply have their contributions devalued, because nobody (generally speaking) will know the difference.

I prefer images that are "fabricated false images." I don't turn to a photograph to tell me something real. I know all photographs are false. So they might as well exploit that fact and offer not what really happened, but what the photographer WISHED would have happened.

Dale, it seems to me that you're trying to hang on to your traditional approach to exposure, that you would have used with film and apply this to your digital photos. If you're shooting jpegs, then this makes sense, but hopefully you're shooting RAW, in which case I'd suggest you would benefit from a different approach. For many situations, to get the highest quality digital image, you simply want to expose to the right. You want the image as bright as possible, without blowing the highlights and this is easy to check on the histogram. The image itself may initially appear too bright/over-exposed, but when you process the raw file you can easily make any adjustments you need to the brightness/tone/contrast and as long as the highlights aren't blown you won't have lost any quality. This is often the best starting point for maximising dynamic range/minimising noise.

Half of the file's data is contained in the far right 1/6 of the histogram. I've attached a diagram to show the data breakdown of a digital image (in this case, a hypothetical 4 meg file).

Attachments

• presentation_041.jpg
    presentation_041.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 102

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Gathering of the Cows

GraniteStationGatheringOfTheCows.jpg

Camera: Pentax K20D
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Focal length: 17mm
Exposure: 1/30s
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 400
^ That would make a perfect wallpaper!

also good for burgers.:p

Nice shot. The cows are a bit underexposed for me, losing a bit of shadow detail. Maybe recover a bit in post? Cool composition and I really like the image.

Thanks for the comments :)
I agree, the cows are too dark. That was just the first edit on the laptop on a train. Now I'm in front of a calibrated monitor and this makes things easier (plus I got some help) ;)

So here is a second edit:
GraniteStationGatheringOfTheCows2.jpg

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Heh, I wish i had had my tripod, but since I had to take the bus up there I opted not to take it. I looked on your site, but didnt see any Earth Hour pics. Was the "Autos" folder from that cop car show yesterday? I hadnt heard about that one, but i was at the Cadillac car show out at the District with my father. Good times. He's gettin pretty old and shared some cool stories about almost all the cars.

Now, on to the picture. This is my fave of the bunch... I have two more on my Flickr in case you cant wait until tomorrow for more. Link in sig. :)

Clickable...

nicee nicee shot.

yeah, the earth hour shots are in the "Places" album and the video of the Strip is in my BLOG.

the automotible album was from the Injured Police Officers Fund Car show yesterday. its really cool to see a lot of old cars, i saw one from 1926, it was 84 years old and it still ran.

but thats cool, spend time with the parents. people take them for granted that they'll always be there for us. :)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
<<_>>
Half of the file's data is contained in the far right 1/6 of the histogram. I've attached a diagram to show the data breakdown of a digital image (in this case, a hypothetical 4 meg file).

Thanks. While I was shooting film I relied on a hand-held light meter and darkroom techniques that are way out of date. I got my XSi in September '09 and switched to RAW in October. I do all my post in CS3. Six months. imN00B...

Part of the barrier I have to overcome relates to the posts regarding how technically advanced cameras have become. My camera is entry level for dslr. It's not complicated, but I still have a hard time trusting it to make decisions that used to be all up to me.

Sooo I'll continue talking about things I don't yet understand. You point me in the right direction. And then I'll will you all my camera gear...

FrankieT: Thanks for the note on the histogram. It made everything I have been told about exposing to the right make sense. +1 for you :)

Dale

mac88

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4472266492_fe6c206efa_b.jpg[/TMG][/QUOTE]

There is a lot to be said about a door. What's behind it? Who's behind it? I always love a great door picture and your choice to go black and white was great. I guess I'm trying to say that this is a very nice picture. Good work! :D

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
also on the silhouette train... clouds are cool, flying salmon are cooler...

Camera: Nikon D300 w/Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8
Exposure: 1/200
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 17mm
ISO Speed: 800

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks for the comments :)
I agree, the cows are too dark. That was just the first edit on the laptop on a train. Now I'm in front of a calibrated monitor and this makes things easier (plus I got some help) ;)

So here is a second edit:
GraniteStationGatheringOfTheCows2.jpg

A little more there, perhaps apply a mask so that you can concentrate on the cows. Next time fill flash (off camera so you don't light up the grass too much - I've held a flash over my head while down on my knees to avoid lighting the foreground too much) and you can save time with post shooting editing. ;) I think the photo makes me kind of laugh. Cows just always seem to have some weird expression to me.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
There is a lot to be said about a door. What's behind it? Who's behind it? I always love a great door picture and your choice to go black and white was great. I guess I'm trying to say that this is a very nice picture. Good work! :D

Thank you!

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Bees

just checking to see how they are doing during the cold days.

Attachments

• GetAttachmentCAEKELFH.jpg
    GetAttachmentCAEKELFH.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 129
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.