Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Humphrey. : )

Attachments

• P1010574.jpg
    P1010574.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 139

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Earth Hour!!! :D:D:D:D:D

more Earth Hour photos of the Las Vegas Strip on my website in my signature!!

there is also a video shot of the las vegas strip in darkness in my BLOG section on my site.

IMG_4342.jpg

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Earth Hour!!! :D:D:D:D:D

more Earth Hour photos of the Las Vegas Strip on my website in my signature!!

there is also a video shot of the las vegas strip in darkness in my BLOG section on my site.

IMG_4342.jpg

Nice! I was takin pics down by Ceasers, and the Bellagio. Will post one up tomorrow. :D

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Nice! I was takin pics down by Ceasers, and the Bellagio. Will post one up tomorrow. :D

LUCKY!! :eek::eek:

i was eating at red robin, and thought i would make it in time, but at the same time i was thinking the strip would be packed...and yet, it was.

well apparently, just like washington DC..they do not like tripods being on rooftops with the camera mounted. :confused:

i take it its just a security pre-caution. but ehh, it was cool yesterday.

plenty more on my website in my signature!

damov2

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Cambridge, uk
Lady Bird

Camera:Canon EOS 40D
Exposure:0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture:f/11.0
Focal Length:60 mm
ISO Speed:400
Exposure Bias:0 EV
Flash:On, Fired

4470767082_6ea93bf8aa_b.jpg

fernando.kreutz

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
brazil
brazilian beauty

Untitled-1-1.jpg

EXIF:
Device: Canon PowerShot A630
Resolution: 3264x2448
Focal lengh: 8,46
F-Stop: f/4
Max aperture: f/3,1
Aperture Value: f/4,0
Shutter Speed: 1/320

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
Thanks man. Yesterday after my daughter's pageant everyone got treated to Mcdonalds. It was around 6:30p.m and I used the son light that was coming through the window. When I took this picture I said man something went right lol. Now I have to learn how to mimic it :(

Another thing you've got right here is establishing a connection with the lads in the photo. They're clearly relaxed and engaged. Nice photo.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
...added grain in pp, just trying to learn LR3 b2.

Camera: Nikon D300 w/Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8
Exposure: 1/1250
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 200mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV

Nice shot. Using b&w and the subtle grain really throws emphasis on the dog. I liked the close up of him/her you posted recently too. I think I've counted three dogs of yours so far, this one and two rescues. Is that the total? :)

Very natural pose and I like the side lighting. You say that the pictures on here are all spot-on and you only get one in 30. I reckon many, if not most of the people that post on here post their best pictures and for each one they post they'll have shots they wouldn't post. I have a lot more shots that I wouldn't post than ones I would! With a lot of practice I'm hoping to change that. The more you learn though, the more critical you get and so it doesn't seem to work out that way!

Cormorants (not real ones)...

morecambe.jpg

Beautiful lighting, very simple and effective composition. You're an inspiration to me.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Juvenile male Blue Heron, Newport, Oregon

His wingspan is probably 5-6 ft and he's got a long neck, but he's not showing it here as he hunkers down for a bit of a rest on the stern of a boat.

Camera: Nikon D300 w/Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF ED
Exposure: 1/320
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 300mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Exposure Bias: -1/3 EV

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I reckon many, if not most of the people that post on here post their best pictures and for each one they post they'll have shots they wouldn't post. I have a lot more shots that I wouldn't post than ones I would! With a lot of practice I'm hoping to change that. The more you learn though, the more critical you get and so it doesn't seem to work out that way!

I took 500+ pix yesterday, and I'm just editing them now... which means deleting a lot of them.

As a rule I bracket shots (a 'correct' exposure... and one either side). When I was shooting this white, newly renovated, art deco hotel I bracketed even more... cos the sheer brightness of the paintwork was throwing my exposures all over the place.

I did about 50 shots of people coming in and out... and immediately delected all but about five of them. I kept this shot 'cos the guy made a good shape against the whiteness, and he looks like he knows where he's going.

So I shoot a lot, and throw away a lot... very different to shooting film!

hotelguy.jpg

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
^^^ Powerful pic. The boat looks like a toy. You could write a dozen different narratives... whether you read the gestures as a cheery "hello" or a cry for help...

Thanks. It was very surreal. Woke up early, went out to the balcony of my cabin, and was greeted by the tiny little boat. They were begging for food. I had nothing in my room and they were too far away regardless. While I have given to Haiti charities/relief funds, there is nothing quite like being confronted with tragedy and not being in a position to do anything. The irony of being on a cruise ship at the time wasn't lost on me. Off with my head???

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Nice shot. Using b&w and the subtle grain really throws emphasis on the dog. I liked the close up of him/her you posted recently too. I think I've counted three dogs of yours so far, this one and two rescues. Is that the total? :)

Thanks Ish... this guy (yellow lab) is also a Mexican rescue--I found him starving wandering along a lonely desert highway way down in Baja California Sur (lower Baja.) My total is actually six rescues--five were puppies when I adopted them and Charlie was around 9 months to a year when I got him. All are doing well, thankfully. I'll likely post more in the weeks and months ahead, since they are very frequent subjects around here. :)

4473115264_0002065007_o.jpg

Off the coast of Haiti.

Yes, it's a very powerful photo considering the situation in Haiti. It brings it close to see the tiny boat in the beautiful waters, and know they are fighting for survival. I think I would have also felt extremely helpless seeing that in person.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I took 500+ pix yesterday, and I'm just editing them now... which means deleting a lot of them.

As a rule I bracket shots (a 'correct' exposure... and one either side). When I was shooting this white, newly renovated, art deco hotel I bracketed even more... cos the sheer brightness of the paintwork was throwing my exposures all over the place.

I did about 50 shots of people coming in and out... and immediately delected all but about five of them. I kept this shot 'cos the guy made a good shape against the whiteness, and he looks like he knows where he's going.

hotelguy.jpg

You've got the exposure spot on as far as I can see on this one. Well, I'd have been pleased if it was mine! :) Bet they thought you were some sort of private eye.

Yes, very different from shooting film! I used to use a Nikon FE and I really liked that camera. Still have it but don't use it any more. I recently got a Canon XSi but I haven't used bracketing. No reason not to though, is there, it's the film mentality kicking in!

I keep getting more and more critical. Photos that used to be my favourites, taken with my first digital, a Fujifilm FinePix 810 I now look at and think, 'the sky's blown', or 'there's a bit of purple fringing between the roof of that building and the sky'. Can't throw them all away though, there'd be hardly anything left!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

hotelguy.jpg

Great capture. I love how he looks like he's almost floating up the steps... only the edge of his heel is touching the ground.

Like you, I find I keep at most 1 in 10 images I shoot primarily due to sloppy exposure, composure, or blur (focus, motion, or shake) and to a lesser extent a subject that just didn't look good in afterthought.

It's amazing how the transition from shooting on a precious resource (film) to what is effectively a free resource (digital storage) has changed the way people shoot. As you say, it means you don't need to spend time evaluating the scene to ensure you get the right exposure as there's simply no cost to bracketing it all over the place.

It's equally amazing where RAW editing and Photoshop are taking us too... they demand even less investment in the moment of capture as you can shoot a scene with nearly any settings (within reason) and produce a perfectly good image later.

Over time, the care and attention one needs to invest at the moment of capture is diminishing.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
LUCKY!! :eek::eek:
{snip}
plenty more on my website in my signature!

Heh, I wish i had had my tripod, but since I had to take the bus up there I opted not to take it. I looked on your site, but didnt see any Earth Hour pics. Was the "Autos" folder from that cop car show yesterday? I hadnt heard about that one, but i was at the Cadillac car show out at the District with my father. Good times. He's gettin pretty old and shared some cool stories about almost all the cars.

Now, on to the picture. This is my fave of the bunch... I have two more on my Flickr in case you cant wait until tomorrow for more. Link in sig. :)

Clickable...

EXIF Info:
Exposure: 30
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Joe King

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Dublin, Ireland

A cloudy day when the sun broke through for a moment in this sleepy, Normandy town.
ytor2p

Love the mood created by the clouds in both of these. Well done!

If I were to come to Ireland... you think we could go huffing and puffing over some of those hills ? :rolleyes: BJ

Sure. :) It's not so much huffing and puffing but huffing, puffing and squelching - very boggy land in these parts: make sure you bring gaiters. :D

Another well-lit landscape full of character...
Thanks. Conditions for landscaping have been brilliant this past week, lots of lovely broken clouds yielding interesting skies and great light on the landscape.

Tonduff and Raven's Glen:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.