Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jan 30, 2006
2491404298_b78ff5d6e5_o.jpg

Taken same day as my previous post.

Nikon D300
Nikkor 17-55
ISO 200

You have some great photos there. But one question: what kind of post-processing do you give your photos to look like that?

They look very nice.:)

jaysee

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2008
Long time lurker...

I've been here a while but never posted. After finally borrowing a scanner I've been able to digitise some of my film... this was taken about a month ago at one of the underground stations in my city.

2477305632_9c2a9a46e8_o.jpg

Taken on a Olympus XA that's older than me, on Agfa APX 400 developed at home in Rodinal and scanned on a V200. Aperture was probably 2.8f and it was probably underexposed one-stop.

C&C welcome (please!).

[oh, in all my excitement in posting I forgot to say how inspirational some of the photographers in this thread are. You guys may not be professionals (well, some are) but the stuff that people can produce with some creativity and a camera is amazing. This is a thread (and series of threads) I go to when I need some "normal people can do it, too" vibes. THANKS TO EVERYONE!]

wiseguy

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
Guess where it is...

Took last week-end on a biking ride.

Attachments

• Habitat_67.jpg
    Habitat_67.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 133

ACbc

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
You have some great photos there. But one question: what kind of post-processing do you give your photos to look like that?

They look very nice.:)

Thanks Roco. I know some photographers look down upon heavy post-processing like that (I used to be one of them!). I try to let the post processing enhance the photo i've already taken instead of trying to make a bad photo good by heavy photoshopping. I really try to imagine the final product while i'm taking the picture. Meaning as i take the picture, i have an idea of what i want it to look like after post processing. Let me also get out of the way that this processing is heavily influenced (read: i'm borderline copying him) by Jesh De Rox, who is one of the best portrait/wedding photographers out there. Highly recommend taking a look at his blog http://jeshderoxweddings.blogspot.com/ .

Anyways.... I'll give a general overview of what I do. Let me know if you have any specific questions. The process is a bit complex and it was something i came across after experimenting many many many many times.

1) Desaturate specific colors. In the case of the last photo, green *really* popped. So in aperture, I desaturated green only.
2) Desaturate photo in general.
3) open in Photoshop. create a new layer and copy a grunge texture. ppl try to charge you money for these, but you can easily make your own by taking pictures of wood, concrete, whatever. or you can go here and grab a few good ones for free. http://www.grungetextures.com/
4) Change the blend mode. 90 percent of the time i use Mutliply. Color burn or overlay work well sometimes too.
5) Change the brightness/contrast and hue/saturation of your texture layer to get the desired color effect.
6) fiddle with the opacity, but leave it more than what you would like (meaning...if you think it looks good at 60....keep the opacity at 70).
7) add a layer mask and 'paint away' parts of the texture where you dont want it.
8) merge your texture layer and photo
9) general dodge/burn to bring out shadows as you see fit
10) levels and brightness/contrast fix
11) unsharpen filter to get things nice a sharp....even go a tad bit overboard here
12) duplicate layer and add gaussian blur (i use a radius around 8~9).
13) add a layer mask and 'paint away' the parts you want to be sharp.
14) change opacity of the layer as you see fit.
15) merge layers
16) final levels and brightness/contrast adjustments
17) save.

:)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
[oh, in all my excitement in posting I forgot to say how inspirational some of the photographers in this thread are. You guys may not be professionals (well, some are) but the stuff that people can produce with some creativity and a camera is amazing. This is a thread (and series of threads) I go to when I need some "normal people can do it, too" vibes. THANKS TO EVERYONE!]

I second that emotion. :)

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
"Beauty's Getaway"

Here's my first attempt at a "Doylem Shot" (without a swan)...and probably my last for a while

I dont really know about this photo. What do you all think? I have a slightly larger version here

Please be honest, I really need to learn how to sharpen the foliage better...

"Beauty's Getaway"

2496414586_2c3e48e5a9_o.jpg

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
It strikes me as being very well composed... I really think , though, that the surreal look you get from HDR ends up making the photo unrealistic..

I really, really liked your Koi photo - I think that if you tried to use HDR less in your photos they would be much better! (Just my opinion though..)

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
It strikes me as being very well composed... I really think , though, that the surreal look you get from HDR ends up making the photo unrealistic..

I really, really liked your Koi photo - I think that if you tried to use HDR less in your photos they would be much better! (Just my opinion though..)

Thank you, for your honest comment, I realy appreciate it!:D

But, just to let you know, the Koi photo is HDR as well.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
this was taken about a month ago at one of the underground stations in my city.

I really like this shot and I'm glad that you are sharing your work in this forum. What city do you live in? The underground stations in Atlanta aren't quite so nice as the ones where you live!

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Fresh from today. One of the only two shots I liked... Being in a crappy mood while shooting makes for crappy pics, no matter what awesome stuff you may see. I hope I'm in a better mood next time I go shooting! :)

BTW, this will be my new desktop for the next week or so. :D

Attachments

• Peekaboo.jpg
    Peekaboo.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 100

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Guard Tower View

First sun on Wreck Beach :).

Very nice! I love Wreck Beach at this time of year (before the crowds arrive). Its so peaceful

Here's my first attempt at a "Doylem Shot" (without a swan)...and probably my last for a while

I dont really know about this photo. What do you all think? I have a slightly larger version

I like this -- I'm often not a fan of HDR but this one gives a really lush feeling -- the colours really jump out at me.

My entry for the day, back to landscapes, from an exhausting hike up the Great Wall of China ...

Guard Tower View
Nikon D80 + 55-200 VR
Exposure: Aperture Priority (Auto ISO)
Shutter Speed: 1/90
Aperture: f/11
Focal Length: 55mm
Flash: Off
ISO: 100

jaysee

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2008
I really like this shot and I'm glad that you are sharing your work in this forum. What city do you live in? The underground stations in Atlanta aren't quite so nice as the ones where you live!

Thanks!

It's in Australia -- Melbourne. We've only got four underground stations and they look nice in black and white -- they're a funny blue-green colour in real-life.

kayes

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
'Love the little green bird, Kayes!

hello grimace, I actually miss that bird which was hanging around my study window for almost a month, sometimes just standing on the window ledge staring at the Macs which was when i took that pic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.