Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
10 out of 10 for the trying something different ! amazing shot.

Terrific... with both fish and water having a strange plastic sheen...

Thank you both! Ya i used a polarizer filter which cut out all the glare in the lake allowing me to capture the depth in the water. This is what gave the water such a "plastic look" the fish really do look like that, their kinda ugly to me but my g/f thinks their cute....

Anyways those koi can run up to $8,000 depending on the color pattern

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Nice idea. With such strong graphic shapes, would just one figure have been more powerful?

the fish really do look like that, their kinda ugly to me but my g/f thinks their cute....

Anyways those koi can run up to $8,000 depending on the color pattern

Well, I'll have two of them, lightly grilled, on toast... and will you take a cheque?

My pic of the day: a 'grabbed' portrait...

gordon1ck8.jpg

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I like this photo because the photographer seems so oblivious to all the action going on around him, and he's aimed his lens away from the track. I imagine he had something interesting in his viewfinder...

pit-photog.jpg

Jan 30, 2006
SolracSelbor, your photo is amazing! The colors and all the action happening in the photo is just great. Congrats:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully now that college is over I may venture outside and take more photos. I do miss it.:(

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Dornoch Firth from Struie Hill.
dsc026xz5.jpg

Great pics lately, I especially liked the sunset from Kayes and the fish from Carlos.

md2427

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
Manchester UK
Portraits

Someone mentioned portraits earlier...

Found this cheeky lad from last summer.:)
DSC_0031.jpg

SolracSelbor - you mentioned using a polarizing filter on your Koi carp photo.... any brand recommendations ?

melissarae

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
tampa, florida
wow you guys take some great photos!

my first time posting in this thread... here's a photo from the other day when i took my son outside to play... i really liked the colors & action.

Attachments

• l_9c7cf1f5910fe6e43e4c611de40bfea1.jpg
    l_9c7cf1f5910fe6e43e4c611de40bfea1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 66

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Someone mentioned portraits earlier...

Found this cheeky lad from last summer.:)
snip

SolracSelbor - you mentioned using a polarizing filter on your Koi carp photo.... any brand recommendations ?

I have the B&W 52mm slim glass kasemann circular polarizer, it works great but it's expensive (i got it as a birthday gift)

weinrdog

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
o-HI-o
My son is really enjoying the new tricycle his grandmother brought.

DSC_0088.JPG

Nikon D50
18-200VR @ 130mm
1/100 sec
F5.6
ISO 800

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland

Great shot , i like the use of selective colour in it.

I like this photo because the photographer seems so oblivious to all the action going on around him, and he's aimed his lens away from the track. I imagine he had something interesting in his viewfinder...

http://www.wette.us/sebring2008/pit-photog.jpg

I'm really enjoying your racing shots, expertly done. My son and I are going to the German F1 Grand Prix in july so hopefully I will get some interesting shots there.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Harbour Light

2491838358_023ae0136a_b.jpg

Mine for today, I haven't had time to go chasing sheep up the hills so you'll just have to put up with my stuck in a rut photo's for the moment. ;)

md2427

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
Manchester UK
Harbour Light

Mine for today, I haven't had time to go chasing sheep up the hills so you'll just have to put up with my stuck in a rut photo's for the moment. ;)

Excellent shot - what kind of processing have you done on this?
I really like the colours.

SolracSelbor - thanks for the info. on the filter.​

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
back with a fresh cityscape

Have been away for a couple of weeks, not much photography unfortunately. This one of a clear Chang An Street looking towards Tienanmen is rare. Shot after a day of heavy rains.
changan_large.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
2491838358_023ae0136a_b.jpg

Hey, Steamie, I keep wittering on about doing 'night' shots while there's still some light and colour in the sky (during the hour or so after sunset)... and when you do, this is what you get: both sources of light 'in balance', complementing each other. Did you take one shot, or many, to get this? Strange... the horizon's straight... but the lighthouse isn't...

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Excellent shot - what kind of processing have you done on this?
I really like the colours.

SolracSelbor - thanks for the info. on the filter.

Thanks md2427, the only processing was a slight increase in saturation and contrast in aperture, it was shot in raw.

Doylem - I took 5 shot's in total each from different viewpoint's 2 of the others can be seen at my flickr page.
Your right about the lighthouse being out of kilter with the horizon not too sure why that is, one of my close ups of it show it up worse.

greengekko

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
Monolithe at Millennium Park - Chicago

Lets see if I can make this a daily habit...

2488913734_1f2cbaabf0.jpg

Are you attending The Art Institute of Chicago?? If so what are you studying? I am looking into The Art Institute of Washington, D.C. to study Photographic Imaging....soooooo expensive
Hi ipodtoucher - no not a student at the Art Institute, but at student at UIC (not art).... and yes I can imagine photographic imaging can be verrry expensive, but also very rewarding! Good luck with that ~

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.