Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
LOL....

I didn't think clear days existed in Seattle... :eek:

Beautiful shot, though... what did you use? Thanks... :)

We do get some really nice days occasionally. We just try not to let everyone else know. ;-)

It was taken with a Canon 40D and the EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Still looking for a name for him... any ideas

Shagger?

Those on the forum who photograph butterflies may find this of interest...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/may/27/painted-lady-butterflies-migration-britain

cansh.jpg

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
I saw these guys from the kitchen table right in close to shore...
By the time I got off the phone with my sister, grabbed the Nikon, switched the 50mm for the 55-200mm lens, and ran across the street, the pod had moved out quite a bit. I think there were a four or more on the pod. The thumbnail looses something in the compression...

Attachments

• 20090527_0051 Whale.jpg
    20090527_0051 Whale.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 160

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I think it's his ability to capture some sense of an emerging adult in each child. Photos of children usually make them look, well...childish. These kids look pensive without that quality seeming forced or unnatural. It's a side of all children that exists but is difficult to capture.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I've found that everyone poses for the camera, even little kids. I wait for the moments between the poses and try to make my subjects as relaxed as possible before snapping my photo. I'm not coaching them to look like this. I'm just interacting with them waiting to see what they will give me.

This photo of my nephew is one of my favorites of him and I think is an example of what I'm talking about. You can see the frustration on his face from his mother trying to tell him how to smile. After this shot I told his mother to let me work with him and then told him that this was one of those times he didn't need to listen to his mom, he didn't have to smile.

Good lighting technique certainly helps as well...looks like off-camera flash with a softbox or brolly for both of them, done very nicely.

Thanks. Good lighting is the key to all photos. Light and shadow is what makes a photo interesting. It was a softbox in both.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Still looking for a name for him... any ideas?

ef505511a79e4306b09498fb8d7c749a

I think his name should express something about his personality. What's he like?

attachment.php

This one looks as though it's had some fake bokeh added. In order to be successful, that effect requires some time-consuming masking, with gradiated amounts of blur and great precision along the edges. Otherwise it ends up looking hokey.

Great light and unusual antiques: two of my favorite things in the world. :)

Really nice lighting here. Your EXIF says the flash didn't fire, but surely one did. Was it remote and therefore not picked up by the EXIF?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Pete.

And I'm a fan of your dog photos.

You could always go with Max...

Pongo, Einstein, Harold, Jip, Roy, Wiggins, Buckley, Charlie, Duke, Jerry, Diesel, Spike, Turk, Zero, Doc, Seymour

Just some unusual names you might like. Good Luck!

I think his name should express something about his personality. What's he like?

Thanks for all the creativity, guys and girls...! :) I'm sure he will eventually tell me what his real name is... but you've given me some additional ideas. You'll probably see a few more shots of him and his tribe/pack mates in the days to come. I'm going to make a short video and throw some stills together in a slideshow to run in some veterinarians' offices on their lobby displays - hoping to stir up some interest in adoption. Anyway, thanks all. -phil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.