Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac-a-doodle

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Michigan
Let's keep it positive / constructive.

Am I the only one who is getting tired of this HDR mania?

Allow me to add what is perhaps an outsider's point of view here. I visit this site daily to learn as much as possible from the great range of practical pro/semi-pro/hobby photogs here, with the hopes of one day putting my own dSLR to good use. While I know exactly what you mean with this post, I would suggest it's best to leave these topics lie, and avoid what will undoubtably turn into a flame-a-thon... no value-added to anyone here. It's just as practical to tell people to stop bothering with snaps of their cat or other less artistic or technically compelling shots. Maybe someone out there is tired of landscapes from Doylem, who knows, everyone has their likes/dislikes, but it's not the point of this forum. I'm pretty sure if someone dared tell him to post something else he would get his fair share of support to do otherwise (rightfully so).

To discourage free sharing of any type we have to sort through things we all might feel differently about. So let's keep the spirit positive. In your case, I think you've managed to divert the attention from your very impressive portrait abilities. Just my 2c, one day I'll be ready to post my own for all to criticize, after reading through the many good CONSTRUCTIVE comments so many of you are able and willing to share. I say this with complete understanding of where you're coming from.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
My first HDR with a Canon Powershot SD600 and tripod.

img_7095_6_7_8_9_tond37e4.jpg

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I think a more productive approach would be to take the time to comment on the offending photos so that the person responsible knows exactly what about their photo isn't working. If the composition is off, say so. If the subject is unclear, let them know. It's best to articulate exactly why the HDR effect (or Dragan filter or whatever) seems superficial and is not an appropriate extension of the photograph's own force.
Perhaps this is the best route, and I will do so when I find an offending photo. The sheer volume of offending photos prompted my post. I mean no ill-will towards the photographers themselves, I am merely asking them to question their work. Too many people are too afraid of criticism, and only want the sugar-coated details. Well, you will get nowhere in any trade or skill if you have no room for people to tell you what's going wrong.

Personally, I think that photography is subjective to the viewer. One person may love a particular photo, no matter how processed, and another may not. Arguing over the process provides little help to the photographer to improve thier craft. Offering constructive criticism, or a sensitive opinion goes much farther than saying "I dislike HDR, or PP".... One should offer a positive comment, then a constructive one when viewing an image, otherwise keep just the negitives to yourself. If you dont have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all... let it go. It's just a photo thread.
I don't think people are understanding me at all. I have no qualms with justified use of HDR and post-processing. As I said, I process every one of my photos that I wish to show to anyone. The question you must ask yourself is "is this the photo I am showing off, or is it the effect?" I know the argument of what is and isn't photography rages on day in and day out, and I recognize the merits of photomanipulations. It's just that so many people can't seem to make up their minds as to whether they want to make photos or digital art. They're making a bad compromise somewhere in the muddy middle.

Well yeah, if a person post-process each one of his photos just to make it look good then something is wrong with his technique, but like others says, post-processing allows more creativity to be done. I always wanted to shoot a picture with details on the sky and details on the subject (houses) but I can never get both because as soon as I increase my exposure, the house become too dark, decrease the exposure, the sky is too bright. So HDR seems to be the only way for me to make it blend together. Just made my first HDR today, not stunning in any way but I like its odd artificial look :D
What you described is the exact purpose of the HDR process. There would be nothing wrong with that. Those photos are not what I'm talking about at all. I've also said there is nothing wrong with post-processing. It's just wise to use some discretion.
Post processing is fun, that's why I do it. Sometimes, certain phtoos call for no P.processing ata ll tho, it's all personal i believe.. anyway here one more i shot this weekend on my trip to New York City

Well, following the ideas listed above, I am going to ask you this, and I am being genuine: why did you decide this was worth shooting? Also, why did you decide it needed to have its tonal range increased? You've still got blown highlights and blocked up shadows, it completely defeats the purpose of the process.
I like MaddMacs stance... Photography is a form of Art. Each photo and technique draws individual reaction. That reaction is your personal emotion towards something and that what makes us human. There are pictures that I look at and they do nothing for me but thats not to say the next person wont have an attachment to it. Thats what makes photography great. Two people can be standing in the same place with the same equipment and your going to get two different pictures. Post Processing is just another form of the art. Another tool to be creative.
it can be a tool, or it can be a crutch. for thousands and thousands out there, post processing is a crutch. there is more time spent in front of the computer than behind the camera. Or hell, even planning before you GET behind the camera.
I am not one to argue the merits of art and photography, what is and isn't art. But there seems to be this crazy idea in many "creative" environments that all feedback must be positive. This is bull. You will not grow, you will not improve, and you will fail if all you hear is fluff and nonsense about how you're doing so well, and you should keep it up.
I pick and choose professors that are notorious for making students upset, because they are the most honest. They will help me to improve. Yes I know this isn't a serious business photo forum, but people who post photos are expecting feedback, and there is absolutely no reason why we should refrain from telling them something is not working, or if it's straight up ridiculous.

Allow me to add what is perhaps an outsider's point of view here. I visit this site daily to learn as much as possible from the great range of practical pro/semi-pro/hobby photogs here, with the hopes of one day putting my own dSLR to good use. While I know exactly what you mean with this post, I would suggest it's best to leave these topics lie, and avoid what will undoubtably turn into a flame-a-thon... no value-added to anyone here. It's just as practical to tell people to stop bothering with snaps of their cat or other less artistic or technically compelling shots. Maybe someone out there is tired of landscapes from Doylem, who knows, everyone has their likes/dislikes, but it's not the point of this forum. I'm pretty sure if someone dared tell him to post something else he would get his fair share of support to do otherwise (rightfully so).

To discourage free sharing of any type we have to sort through things we all might feel differently about. So let's keep the spirit positive. In your case, I think you've managed to divert the attention from your very impressive portrait abilities. Just my 2c, one day I'll be ready to post my own for all to criticize, after reading through the many good CONSTRUCTIVE comments so many of you are able and willing to share. I say this with complete understanding of where you're coming from.
I guess I've already spelled it out above, but it is ludicrous to have a forum where photos are submitted without the expectation of honest and justified criticism. If people want that, they should post in the Picture Gallery forum, located a but further down on the main board index: https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/68/

My first HDR with a Canon Powershot SD600 and tripod.

img_7095_6_7_8_9_tond37e4.jpg

Why shoot this subject in HDR?

edit:
here's mine for today. same setup as last time.
click for larger
an2bw.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Seenew, you do make some great points. Nothing wrong with being able to give and take a bit of constructive criticism. Of course, this isn't a college class, and some folks are more sensitive, or perhaps barely finding the courage to post publicly. We don't want them to leave, but to encourage them. By posting thoughtful insight into what you think they could do to improve, or by asking them to think about what they're trying to achieve, you can both criticize, and encourage.

The thing is... it takes time, and hard work to find that balance, and sometimes it's not easy, so things get expressed more judgmentally. "Sick of," "tired of," and being somewhat condescending when you yourself have very good skills is the easy mistake to make - thus getting some folks danders up... ;)

I agree with where you're coming from, but you took awhile to actually spell it out with a fair degree of insight. That's the tough part, but you did take the time to make your argument - so we can all respect that. It's how we all learn from each other.

Okay, your turn for some criticism...;) On your prior posted self-portrait: I loved the light, the exposure, the whole thing... but... I found the ring-strobes made your eyes look absolutely unnatural compared to the rest of the shot. That shape of reflected light in an eye is just jarring, and I couldn't look past it. Otherwise, really nice work. :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Most posters (but not all...) are happy for a bit of C&C... provided it's phrased in a helpful, constructive way. One or two only want to hear their praises sung. But, hey, it's a public forum, for people from all around the world... so we're not going to agree all the time. :)

It's in the US constitution, I think: Life, liberty and the pursuit of HDR...

Anyway... two anglers still trying their luck on Esthwaite Water last night, after the sun had gone down...

esthwaiteiu8.jpg

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Seenew, you do make some great points. Nothing wrong with being able to give and take a bit of constructive criticism. Of course, this isn't a college class, and some folks are more sensitive, or perhaps barely finding the courage to post publicly. We don't want them to leave, but to encourage them. By posting thoughtful insight into what you think they could do to improve, or by asking them to think about what they're trying to achieve, you can both criticize, and encourage.

The thing is... it takes time, and hard work to find that balance, and sometimes it's not easy, so things get expressed more judgmentally. "Sick of," "tired of," and being somewhat condescending when you yourself have very good skills is the easy mistake to make - thus getting some folks danders up... ;)

I agree with where you're coming from, but you took awhile to actually spell it out with a fair degree of insight. That's the tough part, but you did take the time to make your argument - so we can all respect that. It's how we all learn from each other.

Okay, your turn for some criticism...;) On your prior posted self-portrait: I loved the light, the exposure, the whole thing... but... I found the ring-strobes made your eyes look absolutely unnatural compared to the rest of the shot. That shape of reflected light in an eye is just jarring, and I couldn't look past it. Otherwise, really nice work. :)
Thank you, I'm glad I finally was able to make myself clear.

In light of the threads above this... yes, I am posting this due to the post work on it.
Really nice lighting ratio. I think overall, though, it looks too light. Maybe darker negative space would help, but I think the main thing that bugs me is that your accent or rim light, which ever you want to call it might look better if it was further away from the camera. I don't know if it's from the post, but it looks like the side of your nose is a bit blown and your cheek is beginning to lose it some, too.
Anyway... two anglers still trying their luck on Esthwaite Water last night, after the sun had gone down...

esthwaiteiu8.jpg
Excellent. I love the atmosphere, very laid back and relaxing.. Appropriate in the context, I suppose. Nice work.
Tremendous pic. Everything looks 'right': the moment, the composition, the 'feathery' wing-tips. Presumably it's just taking off; did you anticipate this by having a fast shutter speed? It looks pretty sharp...
I agree with all points. It's a great shot. I think if I were to change/fix anything, I'd like to see maybe an inch more negative space on the left side. Since it's just blue that would be easy enough to try out in Photoshop. (OH NO!)

nuwomb

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008

Taken with d40x a while ago.
Could have benefitted from some light thrown on the front if I had any.
One day...one day.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
At seenew: oh that's an easy one for me, it looks damn cool to me...:cool:...

I do appreciate the criticism and lately i have been trying to work on composition and trying to wait for the right moment (lighting specially) following some of Doylem's tips. And now i will follow some of yours as well specially when and if i ever get to do some portrait work... and if at one point and can be good enough to take a HDR photo that has the chance to look like Valdore's well, i am going to do HDR no doubt...

lazylightning

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
earth
Tremendous pic. Everything looks 'right': the moment, the composition, the 'feathery' wing-tips. Presumably it's just taking off; did you anticipate this by having a fast shutter speed? It looks pretty sharp...

Thank you! That shot was purely by chance. I was on my way to shoot some signage for friend and noticed the hawk in a tree, although the tree was more of a robust shrub. I only had a 80-200 f/2.8 with me and because of the bright sunlight was able to get a 1/1000 SS at f/5.6 and ISO200. He was only about 20 feet overhead and I knew he was getting ready to scoot.

I agree with all points. It's a great shot. I think if I were to change/fix anything, I'd like to see maybe an inch more negative space on the left side. Since it's just blue that would be easy enough to try out in Photoshop. (OH NO!)

Thanks, yes it could be improved.

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
Taken with my new Olympus E-520 with a Sigma 18-50 2.8

Attachments

• P1010084-Edit.jpg
    P1010084-Edit.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 177

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
Shot I took last night while experimenting with a few of my lenses shooting long exposures.
3042576921_8ddf55b61f_b.jpg

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn

Taken with d40x a while ago.
Could have benefitted from some light thrown on the front if I had any.
One day...one day.

This is superb. I agree, more light on the front would be great, but like you said, for what you're working with I don't think I'd ask for more. Really, really great.

Haha, actually, maybe shoot from a slightly lower angle? :3
(and shift it out of the center a bit more, left or right, I'd go right)

Great work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.