Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
We had crazy snow today, from 3pm - at least 1am, might be still going!
Anyways took my camera out in the neighbourhood and shot one house.
It is a little noisy and I took it in RAW and played around with it in Photoshop a little. I'm still new and trying to figure out as much about photography as I can, I am learning lots on this forum and reading "XSi for dummies", but still can't understand why it is so noisy. Any tips and suggestions are recommended as you guys really know what you are doing and I really want to take some good shots this winter.

Thanks!

3044738253_fd41f7e186_o.jpg

0.3" (3/10)
f/4.5
28mm
400 ISO

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I haven't been around this forum as much as I used to be once upon a time, but it just occurred to me that lots of pics are posted here without any exif information. In the beginnings of this "thread" (POTD) back before it was monthly, one of the expectations was that each photographer would post this info with each pic, so it would serve as a learning tool for folks wondering what exposures were used, what focal length, and any other useful information. In fact there was a preferred format to make things consistent.

Exif data is so easy to get these days - it's already tagged to the file for digital cameras. For film it's a bit trickier if you didn't write it down, but equipment used, film, etc is still helpful and interesting information.

I propose that we try to emphasize adding basic exif data to our posts, once again. Keep it simple, we don't need all the extraneous stuff, like sensor dimensions, metering mode, resolution, orientation, camera date, etc... Just include camera model, focal length, ISO, shutter speed and aperture - the basics. Anything else you want to add of course is up to you, which helps understand how you made your image.

This may seem obvious to some, perhaps redundant, and lots of folks still are adding exif to their posts, but so many shots now just ignore it that it became noticeable as a trend to just leave it off. I'm just trying to steer things back to the original concept of the POTD.

Of course, if I'm out of line with this... just ignore this post...;)

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
We had crazy snow today, from 3pm - at least 1am, might be still going!
Anyways took my camera out in the neighbourhood and shot one house.
It is a little noisy and I took it in RAW and played around with it in Photoshop a little. I'm still new and trying to figure out as much about photography as I can, I am learning lots on this forum and reading "XSi for dummies", but still can't understand why it is so noisy. Any tips and suggestions are recommended as you guys really know what you are doing and I really want to take some good shots this winter.

Thanks!

Try using a tripod and dropping the ISO down to 100. In dark situations an ISO of 400 can produce noisy shots, in well lit situations you may hardly notice it.

I propose that we try to emphasize adding basic exif data to our posts
I use "EXIF Viewer", by dragging the image from Safari into it's app icon in the dock. This doesn't work for those who host with Flickr and several other hosting services though :(

Mine for today:

imgp0439zj3.jpg

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
I propose that we try to emphasize adding basic exif data to our posts, once again. Keep it simple, we don't need all the extraneous stuff, like sensor dimensions, metering mode, resolution, orientation, camera date, etc... Just include camera model, focal length, ISO, shutter speed and aperture - the basics. Anything else you want to add of course is up to you, which helps understand how you made your image.

I use Exif Viewer plugin for Firefox and love it :)

lazylightning

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
earth
traveling light

3044101808_498b6a339a_o.jpg

Nikon D300 . Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AF-D micro -
SS 1/30 . f/3.2 . ISO 200 . handheld . natural light
No Post Processing whatsoever save for convert to jpg and resize

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
And dodging, burning, and cropping too!

:rolleyes:

I know. Cropping is SO fake; I mean, that's the image the lens made, and that's what you should stick with. If you can't put the subject in the right place when you took the picture, then that's your own fault.

You know what else I hate? Adjusting contrast, exposure, or saturation. Photographs must only ever present precisely what the world really looks like, and no more.

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
Those birds are stunning - it does look a bit like a painting you might expect to see in the Natural History Museum!

The daytime is grey grey grey at the moment so I'm going for evening shots. C&C appreciated as always.

3045654747_397e9f9ded_b.jpg

D40, 24mm, 20s, f/14, ISO 200

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I haven't been around this forum as much as I used to be once upon a time, but it just occurred to me that lots of pics are posted here without any exif information. In the beginnings of this "thread" (POTD) back before it was monthly, one of the expectations was that each photographer would post this info with each pic, so it would serve as a learning tool for folks wondering what exposures were used, what focal length, and any other useful information. In fact there was a preferred format to make things consistent.

Exif data is so easy to get these days - it's already tagged to the file for digital cameras. For film it's a bit trickier if you didn't write it down, but equipment used, film, etc is still helpful and interesting information.

This may seem obvious to some, perhaps redundant, and lots of folks still are adding exif to their posts, but so many shots now just ignore it that it became noticeable as a trend to just leave it off. I'm just trying to steer things back to the original concept of the POTD.

Of course, if I'm out of line with this... just ignore this post...;)
Not out of line at all. These thing should be brought up.
I myself have been lazy in that department, especially since my latest stuff has been lighting work, I typically just post the setup, but I guess I will start putting the exif as well.

And dodging, burning, and cropping too!

touchy,
My exact thoughts
touchy,
I know. Cropping is SO fake; I mean, that's the image the lens made, and that's what you should stick with. If you can't put the subject in the right place when you took the picture, then that's your own fault.

You know what else I hate? Adjusting contrast, exposure, or saturation. Photographs must only ever present precisely what the world really looks like, and no more.

touchy!

People, people, come on, now. There is quite an obvious difference between this
322745599_f54bef3b15_o.jpg

and this

3046606382_5490f1eeb4_o.jpg

and this
3045538461_a1fae6ae5e_o.jpg

and this
3032114823_e70363ab16_o.jpg

The first one is HDR done right. The situation called for extending the dynamic range, and the tone mapping was executed subtly and effectively.

The second two, while suggesting the need for an HDR exposure (although not necessary) were executed terribly.

The last one is the absolute bane of my photographic existence. This subject does not require, does not even hint at any sort of need for the HDR processing it has received, and yet, here it is. Why?

As far as the overreaction and saying: "oh well you might as well not burn or dodge or color correct or crop--" Hell yes, you're right. If you're going about it as horribly as most people go about HDR processing, then do us a favor and cut off your hands or destroy your keyboard and mouse.
This is getting ridiculous when grown people can't take a bit of criticism, not even directed at them individually, but at the advanced-amateur/enthusiast/semi-pro photographic community as a whole. Why can't we agree to hold ourselves to higher standards? Is that so wrong? Why should we not question the status quo?

Get over it, grow up, and get some thicker skin.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Thanks for the comments :),
It's a crop, zoomed 75mm, probably 5 meters away, a with bit of edge sharpening and a vignette to make the clouds appear even darker.

Can't remember if I was standing in the water or not for this one.
The lighting was really good yesterday arvo, a storm was passing and it was late afternoon.

picture15cx9.png

From seenew's sig "Cameras don't lie, but photographers can."

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Seenew, let's recap.

This sweet chestnut was posted earlier...

I can't wait until the HDR craze is over.

...which was what I was responding too when you quoted me saying I'm being "touchy."

That quote is about as informed and intelligent as saying something like "I can't wait until this whole "Internet" craze is over."

This is getting ridiculous when grown people can't take a bit of criticism, not even directed at them individually, but at the advanced-amateur/enthusiast/semi-pro photographic community as a whole. Why can't we agree to hold ourselves to higher standards? Is that so wrong? Why should we not question the status quo?

Get over it, grow up, and get some thicker skin.

Well, I'll just say that I'm usually not all that impressed with what is viewed favorably by the general "advanced-amateur/enthusiast/semi-pro photographic community." Like the rest of the art world, the egomaniacal derisions sputtered forth from *some, possibly many* of the photography community are not to be taken seriously. And, I see no reason why someone is to automatically command a greater respect and stature in society because they're a photographer - and yet that is the insufferably and intolerably arrogant tone I often derive from those who are indeed experienced photographers. I find it nauseating, in fact.

Yes indeed though, the first HDR thumbnail you posted is sublime, and the rest are, well, not. Obviously. But please don't forget the fact that as long as there has been art, there has been bad art.

It seems to be the photography community and the art world are ready throw to the baby out with the bathwater on this one.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Seenew, let's recap.

This sweet chestnut was posted earlier...

...which was what I was responding too when you quoted me saying I'm being "touchy."
You were being touchy. No one has targeted you this whole time, but apparently it's something you are self-conscious about, or it wouldn't get such a rise out of you.
That quote is about as informed and intelligent as saying something like "I can't wait until this whole "Internet" craze is over."

Not exactly, no. It's more like "I can't wait for this light-up shoes trend to be over"

(although, I do miss them so!)

Well, I'll just say that I'm usually not all that impressed with what is viewed favorably by the general "advanced-amateur/enthusiast/semi-pro photographic community." Like the rest of the art world, the egomaniacal derisions sputtered forth from *some, possibly many* of the photography community are not to be taken seriously. And, I see no reason why someone is to automatically command a greater respect and stature in society because they're a photographer - and yet that is the insufferably and intolerably arrogant tone I often derive from those who are indeed experienced photographers. I find it nauseating, in fact.

Yes indeed though, the first HDR thumbnail you posted is sublime, and the rest are, well, not. Obviously. But please don't forget the fact that as long as there has been art, there has been bad art.

It seems to be the photography community and the art world are ready throw the baby out with the bathwater on this one.

I'm not commanding a greater respect for myself, if that is what you're suggesting. I'm just trying to get people to experiment a little more, test out HDR and find out what it is for, and find out what it's not for--- and then don't use it for the latter. But people have found this quick and easy way to make a WHAM BAM COLOR CONTRAST SHINY image that is just a snapshot wearing a gaudy mask, and they're sticking to it.

I don't understand why it's so wrong to ask people to innovate a little bit. I am not throwing out the baby with the bathwater; as I showed, I recognize legitimate and beautiful use of HDR processing. But the bathwater is getting dirty, and needs to be emptied out sometime...

edit:

here's mine for today

Model: Canon EOS 5D
Shutter Speed: 1/125 second
F Number: F/13.0
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100

AlienBees ABR800 Ringflash with 30" "Moon Unit" diffuser.
sidney2.jpg

portraitRingLightSetup1.jpg

portraitRingLightSetup2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.