Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Educ8r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
4th largest city in the USA
I love it... may I get a high res copy?

The mushroom was only 3/4" tall:

2998585764_3deb739ba6_b.jpg

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Wow, is it me or November is nature month? Cause my like it :D, I love nature and November is my birth month!!!!

Oh yea, and can I have a high-res version of the mushroom pic pleaseeee, wanna make it as my wallpaper (current wall paper is a Tamron Lens - Macro shot)

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Alex, what settings did you use for this shot. Nice pic!
Here's a link to the EXIF info.

Camera was a Nikon D300 paired with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens. I just made sure the it was at 1.8 when I snapped the shot. :D

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
new-york-city.jpg

Three RAWs // HDR // Shutter: varied // Aperture: f/4.0 // Focal Length: 30 mm // ISO 800

Last Tuesday evening, Rockefeller Center - New York City.

ISO 800??? Wow; so little noise for an ISO 800 HDR. How do you manage to get these stunning results? Please help us mortals.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
ISO 800??? Wow; so little noise for an ISO 800 HDR. How do you manage to get these stunning results? Please help us mortals.

Background on this image... at the observation deck at Rockefeller Center they don't allow mounted tripods - much like the Empire State Building doesn't either. And, there's really no place to set the camera on top of at Rockefeller Center, because most of the observation deck is indoors, and the outdoor portions have body-high glass to prevent suicides. So on the indoor part of the observation deck I had to rest the camera kind of on the ground, but with my New York Lonely Planet book and my lens cap kind of propping it up two or three inches so the image wouldn't be impeded by the floor or wall or whatever.

I knew I wanted a multiple shot HDR here and was gonna be stuck with three bracketed ones - so I set the aperture as wide as it would go (f/4.0 on my Canon 17-40), and kept having to bump up the ISO again and again because even with the wide aperture there wasn't enough brightness. Oh, did I mention a few days earlier the cable release port on my 5D busted in a hard fall? So, I couldn't use the cable release, so I had to hold down the shutter button on the camera, which necessitated activating both the auto bracketing and the burst mode at the same time, and it turned out ISO 800 seemed to be the lowest I could get.

Now, keep in mind a couple of things - the 5D with its full frame sensor often does very well in terms of noise management - but there was still way too much noise in the sky after running the thing through Photomatix. So in Photoshop I had to then run the image through my Noiseware Standard filter a couple of times, topped off by using the Blur Tool in Photoshop a moderate amount over all of the sky to soften it up further.

EDIT -- thanks PKennethV!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
valdore, thanks for the tip, really useful and loves your HDRs, where do you learn this stuffs? :rolleyes:

If you don't mind telling that is :)

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
here is mine for the day, I really like this shot, but i hate the sensor spots on it...after lots of thinking i decided to put it up anyways..

ahhh much better, used PS to remove the sensor dusties.. thnk PkennethV (once again)

yabxe

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2006
Here's a link to the EXIF info.

Camera was a Nikon D300 paired with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens. I just made sure the it was at 1.8 when I snapped the shot. :D

Thanks. beautiful shot. I'm shooting the 50mm 1.4 with the D300. Despite having some big glass the 50 is my favorite prime by far. I'm considering a D700 later on. Paired with the 50 it could practically shoot in the dark.

NICE PIC, great bookeh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.