Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tottenham4Life

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
DSC_0014.jpg

I saw a few mushroom pictures already so here it goes.

Nikon D40 18-55 Lens

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Yikes, how do you guys get such a good reflection of the scenery? Did you guys edit it or the water is really that clear and peaceful?

Not sure about anyone else here but I don't photoshop in the reflections, it's as they are out of the camera. I'm not a fan of over post processing my photo's (Mainly as I'm not too good at it) however I do use a polariser a lot of the time which when set correctly really helps your reflections. The last shot I posted here was with a polariser but to be honest the water was so still the reflection was popping out anyway. :)

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Whernside...

whernsidewc3.jpg

As always Mr Doylem phenomenal work ! Super landscape with brilliant light (and shadows) expertly composed and the sky is nice and dark.

"rest and be thankful"

Another shot from Saturday, not too happy with the sky in this :( but I always love the view from here .

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Really excellent mix of photographs so far. I'm also a fan of the 50mm 1.4 :)

That's nice! the lens has barely left my camera since I got it on monday, it's just awesome!

You realize that's not her name? :)

:p I'm pretty sure creative78 knows that...

Steamie, I find that pic just a tad oversaturated, but I agree that the view is spectacular! Do you go there often?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Not sure about anyone else here but I don't photoshop in the reflections, it's as they are out of the camera. I'm not a fan of over post processing my photo's (Mainly as I'm not too good at it) however I do use a polariser a lot of the time which when set correctly really helps your reflections. The last shot I posted here was with a polariser but to be honest the water was so still the reflection was popping out anyway.
Thanks, I thought that in order to get that kind of shots you will need to post process. Thank goodness its not required :D

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Thanks, I thought that in order to get that kind of shots you will need to post process. Thank goodness its not required :D

Post-processing is still a blunt instrument, IMO, compared to the nuances of light, colour and tone to be found in the natural world. For a perfect 'mirror image' of mountains in a lake, you need the water to be as calm as a mill-pond: conditions that are commonly found at dawn, less often in the middle of the day. The 'secret' is being in the right place, at the right time, and being prepared to wait.

I'd rather spend time in the landscape, waiting for the light to do something special... rather than hunched over my laptop with an image in Photoshop... :)

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
That's nice! the lens has barely left my camera since I got it on monday, it's just awesome!

:p I'm pretty sure creative78 knows that...

Steamie, I find that pic just a tad oversaturated, but I agree that the view is spectacular! Do you go there often?

Just a tad ;) I don't get to go there as often as I would like unfortunately .

Post-processing is still a blunt instrument, IMO, compared to the nuances of light, colour and tone to be found in the natural world. For a perfect 'mirror image' of mountains in a lake, you need the water to be as calm as a mill-pond: conditions that are commonly found at dawn, less often in the middle of the day. The 'secret' is being in the right place, at the right time, and being prepared to wait.

I'd rather spend time in the landscape, waiting for the light to do something special... rather than hunched over my laptop with an image in Photoshop... :)

Hear Hear Mr Doylem, I couldn't agree more ! Early morning rises and late night drives home going to and from shoot's that just makes it all the more fun. The only downside is driving all day somewhere to get a shot and then standing in the pouring rain with zero visibility thinking "When can I come back here " :D

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
the photo i posted had already been posted here on teh same thread!!and i didnt even realized it...lol..i posetd it couple of days ago

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.