Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marsvolta

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2006
Nice use of patterns. Is that where they use the tractors to launch boats to go up to the Park?

Yeah, it is. We went on a 3 hour Kayak tour of the bay and by the time we came back, the tide had risen 4 meters and the boats could go straight to the dock.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Night lights

Attachments

• DSC_2079.jpg
    DSC_2079.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 147

mikeschmeee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009

May someone please tell me what kind of bird this is? I searched my fathers entire book on birds that live in B.C. but I can't find this one. I think it's a Fox Sparrow but I'm probably way off.
Other then that.. this is my photo of the day :)

Cheers!
Mike

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV

Click for larger

This photo was taken last winter around February before any snow hit. The sky was very moody at this time of the day before the sun fully went down

Canon 5D mark II
EF 24-70mm F/2.8
Grad ND filter (0.9)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Cyclocross craziness in Oregon...

Halloween weekend cyclocross races in Astoria had some interesting contrasts, including a part of the course where spectators would taunt bike racers and douse them with beer if they weren't wearing costumes - all to the blasting beats of rock and roll music. And a lot of the beer was first class microbrew.

PHR_1393.JPG

Model: NIKON D300
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/500 sec
Aperture: 2.8
Focal Length: 80mm

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Day of the Dead celebration. Tacoma Art Museum.

dod1v.jpg

Dale

Camera: Canon XSi
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 218mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/400@f/5.6
Lens: Tamron AF28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

This photo was taken last winter around February before any snow hit. The sky was very moody at this time of the day before the sun fully went down

Canon 5D mark II
EF 24-70mm F/2.8
Grad ND filter (0.9)

Another really nice one, tonyeck. The lighting is wonderful. That ND grad really made the difference here.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

May someone please tell me what kind of bird this is? I searched my fathers entire book on birds that live in B.C. but I can't find this one. I think it's a Fox Sparrow but I'm probably way off.
Other then that.. this is my photo of the day :)

Cheers!
Mike

Very nice bit of composition, Mike. I like the play of the branch on the soft out of focus forms in the background.
The angle makes some details of the bird hard to judge like length of tail and such. Small seed birds like this drive serious bird people nuts (they may just be) because they have great genetic diversity within one species. Adaptation changes coloring and such just slightly from area to area. I had a hard time with it in my bird books, too and I put no money on this. Brown Towhee.
http://www.fws.gov/digitalmedia/cdm...OROOT=/natdiglib&CISOPTR=6290&CISOBOX=1&REC=3

Dale

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Downtown Water Street St.john's Newfoundland

Streets are so narrow parking can be a challenge.

Attachments

• (580) July 31.JPG
    (580) July 31.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 137

CanadIan

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
An interesting idea(keep in mind for the future).
It is actually a signpost rather than a cross...Believe it or not that is a trail intersection. It was pretty rough hikeing to get there.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Low Tide at Abel Tasman National Park, NZ
Really nice photo!
Night lights
Nice framing
Halloween weekend cyclocross races in Astoria had some interesting contrasts, including a part of the course where spectators would taunt bike racers and douse them with beer if they weren't wearing costumes - all to the blasting beats of rock and roll music. And a lot of the beer was first class microbrew.

PHR_1393.JPG

Model: NIKON D300
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/500 sec
Aperture: 2.8
Focal Length: 80mm
Absolutely loving all your biking photos, really great shots!
Really cool clouds and colours.

I've not had time to take photos in a long time so I got one today and hopefully try to keep it up again!
I'm not sure about this photo though... More abstract but not sure if it works
#11 Trash

Canon 400D, ISO 800, 49mm, f/5.6, 1/8th sec

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
^^^ The cross gets a bit lost against the rocks; might it have been better to picture it as a silhouette against the sky?...

That was exactly the first thing that came to mind for me, and I almost posted a comment saying as much. However, then I thought, well, if he got any lower, he'd lose the nice line of the mountains. I wonder if there might be some angle and focal length combination to make it so you could have both.

I've not had time to take photos in a long time so I got one today and hopefully try to keep it up again!
I'm not sure about this photo though... More abstract but not sure if it works
#11 Trash

Canon 400D, ISO 800, 49mm, f/5.6, 1/8th sec

I really like this one: very expressive.

Weren't you committed to taking a photo per day a while back? Didn't last long, eh? ;) (I personally would have trouble finding that kind of time. I tend to produce in spurts.)

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
...I really like this one: very expressive.

Weren't you committed to taking a photo per day a while back? Didn't last long, eh? ;) (I personally would have trouble finding that kind of time. I tend to produce in spurts.)

Cheers! Yeh I was committed, lasted 10 days though haha.
Now I'm going to try again :)
Uni work and other things just took over photography.
Thanks for the comment, I'm colour blind so I think I was a bit anxious to how the saturation has worked, also expressive is exactly the mood I've been in lately with my sketching, uni work and everything so I guess this photo reflects that. Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.