Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
From a wedding I shot a few days ago....

Attachments

• Wedding-2016-20-1-.jpg
    Wedding-2016-20-1-.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135

sra. Aguirre

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
2940690250_3b40ea658c_b.jpg

Was trying to shoot a spider trough the leaves, only to find it in my hair later on. Liked the shot, though!:D

Jan 30, 2006

Nikon D40x
105mm Micro-Nikkor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dllavaneras, your photo is great. What equipment did you used for the photo? I see the lens you used below, but how did you used the flash? And, did you used a tripod?

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
dllavaneras, your photo is great. What equipment did you used for the photo? I see the lens you used below, but how did you used the flash? And, did you used a tripod?

Thank you! I used the 100mm macro lens and the MR-14 Ring Flash, handheld. There's no way bugs stay still long enough for me to use a tripod! :p

I really like your pic, it shows that macro lenses are great for other types of photography.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
grooveattack, it would have worked better, for me, with a faster lens and cropped more, or closer to the flower..but that's just me

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Not sure how I feel about this

Nearly a great shot... but I think you could maybe have taken a bit more care with the composition: head not so close to the tower (by shooting from a couple of paces to the right), and more of a profile for the silhouette (a silhouette needs more visual 'clues', IMO). Is this what you mean when you say you're not sure how you feel?

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Nearly a great shot... but I think you could maybe have taken a bit more care with the composition: head not so close to the tower (by shooting from a couple of paces to the right), and more of a profile for the silhouette (a silhouette needs more visual 'clues', IMO). Is this what you mean when you say you're not sure how you feel?

That's the thing, the composition was tough, a, the subject didn't know I was behind him - had to react quickly, b, very slim window line to properly line up the tower and head how I would have liked, and c, tough reflections...

I would have loved the head to be more to the left, but sometimes you gotta shoot the moment. 4 seconds after, he moved completely...

Thanks for the feedback though

sra. Aguirre

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008

I think the composition of the picture gives you exactly that feeling, like you've sneaked up on someone, it does not have the ideal composition features, but those slight imperfections make it attractive to me (IMO)

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
Stump rings

2938545101_320b9398a1_b.jpg

I went into the woods last weekend to shoot the leaves, but this stump looked interesting. I tried the shot with a variety of focal points, and like this one the best.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
One of my friends playing in his band last Saturday night.

C&C always appreciated.

IMG_4065.jpg

I'll take a crack at it...

Well, it's an okay photo, well exposed, but not really compelling. If it's a shot made for him or his friends, it'll work, but for me it doesn't really have any 'fire.' It looks like he's looking at someone between songs, like he's waiting for a cue for what song is next. He doesn't really appear to be playing, and isn't showing any emotion. I have no idea of the venue... is it a rehearsal in a garage or living room, is it in the studio, or is it in a club or other live gig?

Maybe (if he's a singer, too) a shot of him belting out some vocals, or gutting out some lead licks where his expression and posture would draw the viewer into the picture, and make him/her feel something. I'd prefer a crop where the entire guitar was in the frame, and not cut off.

Bottom line for me: It doesn't tell me a story.
Check your other shots, you may already have some like that...and keep working at it... lot's of potential mixed with lots of practice and feedback = success. :)

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
Curious_by_ProjektionStudios.jpg

Pentax *ist Ds
28mmf2.8 manual focus
no flash
iso200
i believe stopped down to f8, shutter speed 1/125. Exif won't show aperture due to it being a MF lens.

The frog jumped from her hand onto my camera, then very quickly onto my face, halfway into my slightly open mouth, before leaping into the grass once again...

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
That's the thing, the composition was tough, a, the subject didn't know I was behind him - had to react quickly, b, very slim window line to properly line up the tower and head how I would have liked, and c, tough reflections...

I would have loved the head to be more to the left, but sometimes you gotta shoot the moment. 4 seconds after, he moved completely...

Thanks for the feedback though

Fair enough... I'd assumed the person was someone you knew. :)

I also noticed some marks on your pic (like on the tower... and vertical 'scratch' to the right of it). Not a criticism... just wondering what they might be...

I look at this picture once and it's really good: an interesting use of colour. Then I look a second time and I can barely look at that green wall. Strange...

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Fair enough... I'd assumed the person was someone you knew. :)

I also noticed some marks on your pic (like on the tower... and vertical 'scratch' to the right of it). Not a criticism... just wondering what they might be...

Scratches are my sensor... :eek:

J/K :D. They are from the window the guy is looking through

digitalfrog

Suspended
Nov 26, 2007
Nice picture, I love FROGS :)

Ralph

Curious_by_ProjektionStudios.jpg

Pentax *ist Ds
28mmf2.8 manual focus
no flash
iso200
i believe stopped down to f8, shutter speed 1/125. Exif won't show aperture due to it being a MF lens.

The frog jumped from her hand onto my camera, then very quickly onto my face, halfway into my slightly open mouth, before leaping into the grass once again...

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
starting to work with digital medium format backs (in class). this was taken with a Phase One P 20+ which is a 17MP square format digital back. It was mounted on a Rollei, I'm not sure of the model, but it was capable of all movements, like a 4x5, but medium format. Would that still be called a view camera?
Anyway, really fun to work with!

IIRC,

1/4 @ f/8

landingCameraSM.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.