Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I tried the Pro but it felt too big and too heavy.
So no telephoto for me until Apple make a decent sized Pro model (probably that will never happen).
Yep, I couldn’t stand the weight of the 11 Pro and it seems the 13 Pro is even heavier than the 11P. The 13 would be better if it was 5.8” instead of 6.1. Oh well, I’m glad they made the mini. It’s perfect.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Congrats! How are you liking it so far? And what a cutie patootie!
So far so good, but it's just been one day. There are things I'm going to have to get used to, mostly in making the transition to a phone with no home button. I'm used to reaching for a target that in relation to the heel of my palm is *here*, but now I need to reach lower to *there* and swipe up. That muscle memory needs to establish itself. So will having to double-press the button to initiate Apple Pay. So I want to give it a little time before I do a "what do you think" post. :)

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Testing some shots at night with some RGB lighting…They came out with much more clarity compared with the same shots from the iPhone X…
8436CC03-265B-4282-A8AC-48B6DF27D163.jpeg B26B7663-977F-4CF5-91D6-943928842703.jpeg

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
This is also my first phone with Night Mode. All this time I thought it was only jiggery-pokery with Deep Fusion somehow, but it’s somehow reassuring that it actually does have at least something to do with keeping the aperture open longer.

Here’s without night mode:

1E5D8CB7-9EC4-4835-9269-0605C80F6E80.jpeg

And here’s with:

40370B4E-DC87-4AAE-9B48-1604EE64F858.jpeg

And actually it did pretty well without Night Mode on to begin with. The first photo is most definitely brighter than the real amount of light there was when I took the shot. Perhaps I will do a comparison tonight that includes my prior SE 2020 and my partner's SE 2016.

Last edited:

svish

macrumors G4
Nov 25, 2017
So I just got my new mini yesterday!

This first one is just the standard wide angle, no editing. She needs a bath.

View attachment 1938309

Now one with the ultrawide, which is something I’ve never had before:

View attachment 1938311

And finally portrait mode. I’m pleasantly surprised how well it did given her challenging furriness:

View attachment 1938310

This is also my first phone with Night Mode. All this time I thought it was only jiggery-pokery with Deep Fusion somehow, but it’s somehow reassuring that it actually does have at least something to do with keeping the aperture open longer.

Here’s without night mode:

View attachment 1938629

And here’s with:

View attachment 1938630

And actually it did pretty well without Night Mode on to begin with. The first photo is most definitely brighter than the real amount of light there was when I took the shot. Perhaps I will do a comparison tonight that includes my prior SE 2020 and my partner's SE 2016.

Great photos. But the 🐶 takes centre stage. 👍 Enjoy your 13 mini

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Ok so I thought it might be fun to do a low-light comparison of the phones I had available to me. These photos are all unedited except for a small crop, BUT I am remembering now that I do have my 13 mini set with a warm Photographic Style, so there is a small amount of machine-applied processing on them. But of course that’s preset, so arguably it doesn’t count as “post-processing”, but you might feel differently. And of course all were taken with the flash turned off.

So with the help of my lovely assistant (who got a nice treat afterwards because she’s a GOOD GIRL, YES YOU ARE!), here are the results:

This first one is with my partner’s SE 2016:

DBA60EF6-399B-4171-BC1F-EE9E890186B4.jpeg

You can see there is barely any light. There is dim heavily filtered light from the right, and very distant/dim indirect light from behind me.

This next one is from my SE 2020:

C7D7D6D1-6CEC-4CB7-85A9-BD7D58F29025.jpeg

That’s a big improvement! I can at least see her clearly!

Now here is my new 13 mini with Night Mode turned off:

1D0B39E2-8DF1-4AF5-B8AA-780D82108AA3.jpeg

I think here we definitely see the effect of the warm Photographic Style. It’s a little clearer as well, though the difference is slight and might be accounted for by the tiniest imperceptible camera movement, who knows? It’s certainly not because she moved because she is SUCH A GOOD GIRL! I did NOT do any manual focusing on any of these, the focus point is whatever the phone picked on its own.

And finally here is the mini with Night Mode turned on at its default:

A71356D3-7165-4034-9820-26ED921E29C3.jpeg

We sure have come a long way!

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Yep, I couldn’t stand the weight of the 11 Pro and it seems the 13 Pro is even heavier than the 11P. The 13 would be better if it was 5.8” instead of 6.1. Oh well, I’m glad they made the mini. It’s perfect.
EXACTLY! 13 would be magic if it came in 5,8” and not 6,1”.

Reactions: heyyitssusan

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Ok so I thought it might be fun to do a low-light comparison of the phones I had available to me. These photos are all unedited except for a small crop, BUT I am remembering now that I do have my 13 mini set with a warm Photographic Style, so there is a small amount of machine-applied processing on them. But of course that’s preset, so arguably it doesn’t count as “post-processing”, but you might feel differently. And of course all were taken with the flash turned off.

So with the help of my lovely assistant (who got a nice treat afterwards because she’s a GOOD GIRL, YES YOU ARE!), here are the results:

This first one is with my partner’s SE 2016:

You can see there is barely any light. There is dim heavily filtered light from the right, and very distant/dim indirect light from behind me.

This next one is from my SE 2020:

That’s a big improvement! I can at least see her clearly!

Now here is my new 13 mini with Night Mode turned off:

I think here we definitely see the effect of the warm Photographic Style. It’s a little clearer as well, though the difference is slight and might be accounted for by the tiniest imperceptible camera movement, who knows? It’s certainly not because she moved because she is SUCH A GOOD GIRL! I did NOT do any manual focusing on any of these, the focus point is whatever the phone picked on its own.

And finally here is the mini with Night Mode turned on at its default:

We sure have come a long way!
Appreciate the comparison. I might do the same with my X/13.

I’m no expert with using night mode. So you need to turn off the flash before it automatically enables? I posted pics earlier in this thread, but I can’t recall if night mode had actually switched on..

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Appreciate the comparison. I might do the same with my X/13.

I’m no expert with using night mode. So you need to turn off the flash before it automatically enables? I posted pics earlier in this thread, but I can’t recall if night mode had actually switched on..
I don’t think so: I just checked and I could turn Night Mode on and off no matter what the setting on the flash. But even if I had the flash turned on, if Night Mode was also turned on the flash would not fire.

So if you’re not in Night Mode, you turn it on and off this way:

1641561324308.png

The Night Mode button is the second one there in the left, in this screen shot it’s in yellow. Whether it is on or off, if you tap it the Night Mode controller appears at the bottom of the frame:

1641561493253.png

You can slide that control left or right to manually adjust the shutter speed if you like, or you can leave it on Auto. But on the far left end of the slider (i.e. swipe all the way to the right) you’ll find you can turn it off. I believe it remembers that setting: if you turn it off it’s off for all photos until you turn it back on.

At least that’s how it works on mine: 13 mini on iOS 15.2.

Reactions: prazakj and Ralfi

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Ok, here’s a little more on Night Mode. I know this function has been around a couple of years; this is my first phone with it. Each of these photos was taken with my 13 mini, in the “warm” photographic style.

So here she is again, the first is with Night Mode off, the second with it on Auto:

21342120-7EE9-403A-9D43-9655239D5775.jpeg

B0AD93D2-4AC0-440E-9644-A4D54668BDB2.jpeg

Obviously the second photo is brighter, but it’s also less noisy, a little sharper. You can see from the photo info that the first photo was taken at a significantly higher ISO, but with a shutter speed three times as fast.

But sometimes Night Mode results in only a very small amount of extra brightness:

2D444256-AF1A-45F9-A7FB-39BC020E3EAC.jpeg
5F31E819-3EFA-49D4-B1BD-77A3568A56BB.jpeg

The second photo is a little bit brighter, there was a fair amount of light from the tree. But again there is a trade off between ISO and shutter speed. Night Mode again slows down the shutter speed but also lowers the ISO. If one can keep the camera steady, or is using a tripod, then that’s a good trade off!

I could have gotten some more brightness, I think, from setting Night Mode to an even slower shutter speed, but it might have also dropped the ISO even further, I did not think to test it.

(When you’re actually fiddling around with Night Mode, it doesn’t show you ISO or shutter speed while you’re shooting; it tells you how long to keep the camera steady.)

Swissfashion

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2020
Switzerland
WOW! I'm not seeing ANY lens flare ! incredible.

Please share your tips and settings.

Thx
No magic in this photo: the dreaded "green dot" was there, but I cropped it out. When composing, ensure that unwanted effects, that you can't get rid of by moving around, are placed on the outer edges of the photo so you can crop them away. Since you know you will crop the photo, leave enough additional space in your composition to give you more flexibility.

Brighten the shadows and pull back the highlights a touch.

HarshaniS

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Mumbai
The camera and the function of the iPhone 13 and 13 mini are just awesome, on other smartphones contain these type of functionality.

Reactions: prazakj

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
And I thought my iPhone XS could take good pics…
My XS Max does take great pics. It’s just on certain condition newer iPhones can take slightly better pics. Or it might capture dark details in picture better. Low light and indoor pics are a difference between 13 and xs product line.

Reactions: nintendoswitch

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Ok, so 15 minutes ago as I type this, I had an exciting visitor outside. We don’t get pileated woodpeckers very often.

A couple of months ago I opted to get a 13 mini instead of a 13 pro. The only thing I really wanted from the pro was the telephoto lens. Here’s why.

4019440B-842A-4AB3-90AF-2D7D41D6228A.jpeg

This is why I keep my DSLR down here near the window, with its zoom lens on. That set of feeders is about 25 feet away. The Canon was out of reach, though, so I used the phone.

But I also got a video, which looks pretty good. I’ll have to figure out a way to link to it.

EDIT: Here it is. It's not perfect, but it's very good when I had to do it all of a sudden. So this shows the limitations of the mini (the limitations of lots of phones, really).

EDIT EDIT: It just occurred to me that one of my past pics of a visiting pileated woodpecker is my avatar! Here’s that pic. It’s from about ten feet further away, but taken with a a DSLR.

A8CEBBAE-5D5E-470E-87A2-AA27970B36A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.