Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afields

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
my very first picture on my brand new d40x! just got it today, so excited...

DSC_0013.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Rufus "Biff" Biffle

One of my drinking buddies from the days of the old Sam's Hoffbrau in downtown Portland, OR near Portland State, which has now been replaced with a McDonalds. Yeah, it's got blown highlights and all, but I like the gritty look - it suits the memory of the place. 35mm b/w.

biff_1.jpg

Canon EOS A2
Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
Illford Hp5+ 400
Canon Speedlite 430 w/bounce off white card

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
This is an HDR i made, but finding that there was a lot of noise in the output i decided to apply an orton effect to it and this is the result...
hdrorton1ej7.jpg

@Valdore - how do you reduce the noise that photomatix pro processing leaves on images? the orton effect does it ok but you lose detail....

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2004
little pink heads

509263933_8866c3c13b_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
Aperture: f/10
Exposure: 0.3 sec (3/10)
Focal Length: 100 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV

MacPowa

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2006
IMG_2245.jpg

Skyline of Kansas City Missouri seen from the grassy berm of an interchange in Kansas City Kansas.

Canon 5D
Crappy telephoto lens
HDR from one RAW // Five source images
Shutter: 3.2 sec // Aperture: f/4.0 // Focal Length: 70mm // ISO 100

How can i do those type of effects ? (new to photography)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
MacPowa... HDR isn't too difficult (as long as you've got a tripod... and, preferably, auto-bracketing)... it's just difficult to do well. There are one two two software packages (I've used Photomatix) and the stitching/tone-mapping functions are there in Photoshop.

If you're new to photography, it might too 'too much, too soon'. But if you want to give it a go, just google for 'HDR' and do a bit of reading. :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Nice image, but that's not a recent image I guess? Otherwise I must hurry to
schedule my annual winter camping trip to the uk.

Thanks... no, not this winter. But I've just invested in a Nikon scanner for 35mm trannies, so it's fun to convert something that used to be just 24x36mm into something I can now look at without straining my eyes.

To be honest, I wouldn't like to say when we'll next see snow in (lowland) UK. If you come camping, though, it might just start. :)

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
This is an HDR i made, but finding that there was a lot of noise in the output i decided to apply an orton effect to it and this is the result...

@Valdore - how do you reduce the noise that photomatix pro processing leaves on images? the orton effect does it ok but you lose detail....

It looks like you may have had the issue of dark areas of the photo causing unacceptable noise. Very dark areas and shadows can ruin many a HDR. Sometimes I lessen this by converting to black and white, if I'm really in love with the photo otherwise.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
How can i do those type of effects ? (new to photography)

MacPowa... HDR isn't too difficult (as long as you've got a tripod... and, preferably, auto-bracketing)... it's just difficult to do well. There are one two two software packages (I've used Photomatix) and the stitching/tone-mapping functions are there in Photoshop.

If you're new to photography, it might too 'too much, too soon'. But if you want to give it a go, just google for 'HDR' and do a bit of reading. :)

There's a good HDR guide at http://www.vanilladays.com , but I also agree with Doylem to an extent that it might be stressful if you're just starting. But try it anyway if you can, you might enjoy it. :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
The simple life...

Driving the back roads south of Portland I stopped to admire this pastoral setting. Shot on film, scanned from print.

simple%20life.jpg

Canon EOS 630
Canon 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 USM
Kodak Tri-x 400

miranda.danny

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
Providence, RI
Driving the back roads south of Portland I stopped to admire this pastoral setting. Shot on film, scanned from print.

What an awesome picture, great!

Heres mine for the day. I took this @ a bar in Harvard square.

Camera: Canon EOS XTi
Lens: Canon 50mm f1.8 II
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1/80 @ f/1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.