Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I was deceived by the keynote as well which always showed photos as if they took the entire screen. When I saw the huge black bars I was surprised.

Reactions: ppdix

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I agree - if they give you a 'square' option in the camera app, why not offer a 16:9 or 18:9 option to precrop? It would also help you to visualise the result if you are planning to share it in that aspect ratio anyway.

Several 'proper' cameras have options in the settings to take 3:2, 4:3 or 16:9 photos so whats wrong with that?

If that's all you or @OP wants just download one of the 3rd pary camera apps like ProCam, Pro Camera or Camera + 2. I can't Imagine that @OP the 'professional photographer ™' hasn't already purchased one of these apps.

Reactions: peejay1977

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
If you want real widescreen photos, then buy an anamorphic adapter. I have one for my 6s and it makes the 4:3 to a 16:9 with zero loss of quality. Only Moment has one for the X/XS/XSM for now.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
If you want real widescreen photos, then buy an anamorphic adapter. I have one for my 6s and it makes the 4:3 to a 16:9 with zero loss of quality. Only Moment has one for the X/XS/XSM for now.
Again it would surprise me if a ‘professional photographer ™’ wouldn’t already have one if these. Assuming the iPhone was an important part of their kit.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Again it would surprise me if a ‘prof essional photographer ™’ wouldn’t already have one if these. Assuming the iPhone was an important part of their kit.
Photographers don't use it as often as videographers, and still, they're not widely used unless you're filming a movie or something. Not to talk about using it on a smartphone.
A real photographer would have a camera good enough that would enable him to crop the photo to the desired ratio without losing quality and using external lenses.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Why cant apple just add the 16:9 aspect ratio (or higher ratio) in camera like the Galaxy. It should be a simple option to do. Nowadays with wide-screen everything, taking a 4:3 ratio photo doesnt really make sense.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Why cant apple just add the 16:9 aspect ratio (or higher ratio) in camera like the Galaxy. It should be a simple option to do. Nowadays with wide-screen everything, taking a 4:3 ratio photo doesnt really make sense.

The technical reason was already explained in this tread. The sensor would be artificially limited but cropping down the image. If you really want to do that just open the included photos app and crop the image. At least the edits are retained and you can always undo the cropping later.

6A41037E-7578-4955-8772-4750B0FDDE15.png

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
They should add a setting so that when photos are viewed you can set the default to show the full image (as it is now) or a slightly cropped in version to fill the screen (and you can zoom out to see the 'full' image), maybe?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
The technical reason was already explained in this tread. The sensor would be artificially limited but cropping down the image.

the sensor is already limited when shooting a square picture, but Apple puts that right on the main camera screen.

Actually I'm suprised they do that - they could have the ratio of the shot be completely separate and have fewer settings on that swipe bar, so its quicker to get from video to panorama etc.

Also - Apple missed a trick with the square option. Why not still use the entire sensor but just save the square part? Let you optionally edit afterwards to 'uncrop' or reframe the square picture slightly. Just checked and they don't do that.

peejay1977

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015
We could probably debate the why's and where-for's all day long. Sometimes I wish Apple had more options, other times not.

As a avid photographer I always compose my shots and shoot them normally in 4:3 then crop after. Rarely do I find that cropping to 1:1 or 16:9 leaves me with a shot that I don't like.

There are other things that I'd personally like to see in the Apple camera app such as full manual control, but again, other apps have that and will shoot in RAW as well so it's not a big deal, for me at least.

Reactions: mrklaw

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
He didn’t even renew his domain name! It’s expired! Lol real professional.
the sites work fine. I switched to six from go daddy last week and the site was down for a day but it all works now. Please let me know otherwise. thanx.
[doublepost=1537800773][/doublepost]
I kinda get what the OP means, but at the same time I don't want to crop a photo so that it fills the entire screen. I don't mind the notch but I'd rather crop to 16:9 and avoid the notch cutting into the pic.

4:3 is what my SLR shoots, so the fact my iPhone does is no biggie. If I want a crop ratio thats not 4:3 or 16:9 then I use the Photoshop Express app which has a ton of presets.

It's all down to personal choice. And most apps that while shooting fill the entire screen are just using digital zoom and most have less clarity than the stock camera, I'm talking about Facebook etc.

I only ever crop to 16:9 or leave it as 4:3, as I said cropping to literally fill the entire iPhone screen seems pointless to me. My iPad isn't widescreen and 16:9 is fine for casting onto my smart TV.

Personally I think this is a mole hill being turned into a mountain.....
Sorry but your DSLR has a 3:2 ratio, not 4:3. That's the iPhone. Photoshop doesn't even have 4:3 as a crop preset. You have to create it. 4:5 is usually for Medium Format Cameras. 16:9 for video and even 16:10 for video as well.
[doublepost=1537800848][/doublepost]
yeap!

jamesc5z

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
They should add a setting so that when photos are viewed you can set the default to show the full image (as it is now) or a slightly cropped in version to fill the screen (and you can zoom out to see the 'full' image), maybe?

I came here JUST to say this exact thing but you beat me to it.

A girl that works for me insists on Androids because she says "photos look better". After a bit of confusion by what she meant and going back and forth, I noticed that she simply means that her Android photo gallery is a bit over-saturated color wise so the photos have a bit more "pop" to them. In addition to this, her photo gallery fills out the screen by default vs showing you the black bars on the sides.

Everybody is attacking the OP and while I don't agree with the sort of "pre-crop" idea, I absolutely think that the photo gallery should without a doubt auto-zoom the photos a bit to fill out the screen. It makes browsing through photos much more aesthetically pleasing. Squeeze to zoom out an individual photo if you want, but the black bars are just so annoying and doesn't do the screen any justice.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Photographers don't use it as often as videographers, and still, they're not widely used unless you're filming a movie or something. Not to talk about using it on a smartphone.
A real photographer would have a camera good enough that would enable him to crop the photo to the desired ratio without losing quality and using external lenses.
an iPhone today rivals most older DSLR's specially because of the HDR mode and high FPS. And again, the best camera is the one you have with you and also the fact that any RAW file out of a camera needs lots of processing, you need a computer, photoshop or Lightroom and then skills to make the image look as good as one that just came out of your iPhone and it's ready to be shared instantly... That's what you guys don't understand. People look at photos and videos on phones now.
Try this and see: Take a really good photo on your phone and give it to someone to look at. They will surely grab the phone and pinch to zoom closer to fill more of the screen. I would guess 7 out of 10 people will do it. Specially if the photo was taken landscape, which makes it look super small. try it and let me know. cheers
[doublepost=1537801331][/doublepost]
yeah that would be great!

peejay1977

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015
Sorry but your DSLR has a 3:2 ratio, not 4:3. That's the iPhone. Photoshop doesn't even have 4:3 as a crop preset. You have to create it. 4:5 is usually for Medium Format Cameras. 16:9 for video and even 16:10 for video as well.

You're quite correct, my DSLR does indeed have 3:2 ratio, I guess I never noticed. But my overall point still stands, I shoot in 3:2 or 4:3 and crop after the fact.

I can see no practical reason why I'd want the iPhone to offer that option, but if you do, then fair enough.

And Photoshop DOES have a preset crop for 4:3, you're incorrect about that.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I came here JUST to say this exact thing but you beat me to it.

A girl that works for me insists on Androids because she says "photos look better". After a bit of confusion by what she meant and going back and forth, I noticed that she simply means that her Android photo gallery is a bit over-saturated color wise so the photos have a bit more "pop" to them. In addition to this, her photo gallery fills out the screen by default vs showing you the black bars on the sides.

Everybody is attacking the OP and while I don't agree with the sort of "pre-crop" idea, I absolutely think that the photo gallery should without a doubt auto-zoom the photos a bit to fill out the screen. It makes browsing through photos much more aesthetically pleasing. Squeeze to zoom out an individual photo if you want, but the black bars are just so annoying and doesn't do the screen any justice.
thank you. totally agree.
[doublepost=1537801583][/doublepost]
You're quite correct, my DSLR does indeed have 3:2 ratio, I guess I never noticed. But my overall point still stands, I shoot in 3:2 or 4:3 and crop after the fact.

I can see no practical reason why I'd want the iPhone to offer that option, but if you do, then fair enough.

And Photoshop DOES have a preset crop for 4:3, you're incorrect about that.
where?
Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 11.05.39 AM.png

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
OP, I completely understand that you want this option in the main camera because that is the fastest way to take photos with an iPhone. However, with the Shortcuts app you can configure a third party camera app to open with the settings you want almost as quickly, or even with a voice command. It’s a workaround but it can be a very effective one. Give that a try and see if it does what you need it to do.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
OP, I completely understand that you want this option in the main camera because that is the fastest way to take photos with an iPhone. However, with the Shortcuts app you can configure a third party camera app to open with the settings you want almost as quickly, or even with a voice command. It’s a workaround but it can be a very effective one. Give that a try and see if it does what you need it to do.
will do. thanx
[doublepost=1537801861][/doublepost]
actually, just saying "open FullPix" (name of the full screen camera app) works like a charm. thanx

Reactions: Supermallet

peejay1977

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015
thank you. totally agree.
[doublepost=1537801583][/doublepost]
where? View attachment 787969

I do believe I mentioned taking a photo and then using the Photoshop Express app, which on my iPhone has a crop preset for 4:3. I use Lightroom on the PC and I'm fairly sure that has a 4:3 preset but I can't check right now.

I don't agree with the people who are personally attacking you on here, but you're coming off as a keyboard warrior and a bit of a d*ckhead which probably isn't helping your cause, as you do make some valid points.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
tell me how this is not much better. having this beautiful sharp 6.5" screen in front of you is like having a window! it's amazing...

Apple Camera and FullPix Camera App
IMG_9986.jpg
IMG_9985.jpg

peejay1977

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015
Dude what do you want us to say? You're giving your opinion, some of us agree, some of us don't. I really am struggling to understand what you're trying to achieve.

The bottom image is precropped, so what? I'd prefer to take the image in the stock ratio and edit it after. If I wanna zoom in on a picture, I will, if I don't, I won't.

If Apple changed the camera interface so that it used up the whole screen, I'd probably change it back (if there was an option to. I've seen friends using a Samsung which is like your pic above and they often forget about the part where the button is and frame the shot without taking that portion into consideration leaving all their photos looking like they should have been aiming more to the left/or right.

You can say that makes them silly, or dumb, but it's like anything. it's what you prefer. You don't like the way Apple do it, but you have access to a ton of apps that will. So whats the problem? Isn't having the choice more amazing?

The fact Apple haven't done as you wish is irrelevant, they've consulted professional photographers over the years to get feedback from them so either they haven't been bothered about it, or Apple haven't listened. If you're that bothered, hunt down Tim Cook and make him listen!

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I do believe I mentioned taking a photo and then using the Photoshop Express app, which on my iPhone has a crop preset for 4:3. I use Lightroom on the PC and I'm fairly sure that has a 4:3 preset but I can't check right now.

I don't agree with the people who are personally attacking you on here, but you're coming off as a keyboard warrior and a bit of a d*ckhead which probably isn't helping your cause, as you do make some valid points.
Defense is the best offense. I am just defending myself. I am not exaggerating or lying about anything. I am just frustrated with the camera app, that's all. It's my prerogative to have a choice and I wish apple understood it.
I am not asking for much. Just another choice in the selection of aspect ratios. why is that so hard to understand?
Forums are usually a battle ground anyway... I don't know why I even bothered...

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I agree - if they give you a 'square' option in the camera app, why not offer a 16:9 or 18:9 option to precrop? It would also help you to visualise the result if you are planning to share it in that aspect ratio anyway.

Several 'proper' cameras have options in the settings to take 3:2, 4:3 or 16:9 photos so whats wrong with that?
The less 'square' the image gets, the more information you lose from the image circle of the sensor, to the point you start changing the characteristics of the photos. This isn't problem if you have a big 1" 25-50MP sensor as there's plenty of information there, but the iPhone's is still a relatively small 1/2.5" and only 12MP. Going to 18:9 you'd probably struggle to get a decent 8MP image out of it, and that's before digital zoom and all that other stuff that further reduces the area of the sensor you're capturing data from.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Dude what do you want us to say? You're giving your opinion, some of us agree, some of us don't. I really am struggling to understand what you're trying to achieve.

The bottom image is precropped, so what? I'd prefer to take the image in the stock ratio and edit it after. If I wanna zoom in on a picture, I will, if I don't, I won't.

If Apple changed the camera interface so that it used up the whole screen, I'd probably change it back (if there was an option to. I've seen friends using a Samsung which is like your pic above and they often forget about the part where the button is and frame the shot without taking that portion into consideration leaving all their photos looking like they should have been aiming more to the left/or right.

You can say that makes them silly, or dumb, but it's like anything. it's what you prefer. You don't like the way Apple do it, but you have access to a ton of apps that will. So whats the problem? Isn't having the choice more amazing?

The fact Apple haven't done as you wish is irrelevant, they've consulted professional photographers over the years to get feedback from them so either they haven't been bothered about it, or Apple haven't listened. If you're that bothered, hunt down Tim Cook and make him listen!
Dude, I am just asking for a full screen choice in ratios... what's the problem? all the other ratios will stay anyway.
Open facebook and then the facebook camera. Full screen. it makes sense to me. thanx
[doublepost=1537803705][/doublepost]
The less 'square' the image gets, the more information you lose from the round sensor, to the point you start changing the characteristics of the photos. This isn't problem if you have a big 1" 25-50MP sensor as there's plenty of information there, but the iPhone's is still a relatively small 1/2.5" and only 12MP. Going to 18:9 you'd probably struggle to get a decent 8MP image out of it, and that's before digital zoom and all that other stuff that further reduces the area of the sensor you're capturing data from.

You lose about 4.5 MP from the original sensor. What the app is doing is just cropping off the top and bottom to fit the long end of the screen. You are not losing any quality because the image is still 4032 pixels wide. It's just visually smaller, unlike the screen shot that maxes out at 2688 pixels wide.

peejay1977

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015
Defense is the best offense. I am just defending myself. I am not exaggerating or lying about anything. I am just frustrated with the camera app, that's all. It's my prerogative to have a choice and I wish apple understood it.
I am not asking for much. Just another choice in the selection of aspect ratios. why is that so hard to understand?
Forums are usually a battle ground anyway... I don't know why I even bothered...

Yes it is your prerogative, and it isn't hard to understand. We all understand what you mean, yet you continue to be condescending.

I understand perfectly, your point, I disagree, simple as that. You've taken a very know it all stance and seemingly made it your mission to call people out on things they have said which are incorrect, but you don't seem so gracious when it's returned.

Your initial post sounded like most of your posts, like a statement of fact that Apple has in some way wronged the photographic community and it's your duty to expose them for it.

We get you're frustrated, ranting about it on here is only going to go so far. As I stated, the people making a personal attack on you is wrong, totally wrong and forums can be a pain in the a$$ for that and it's not productive, but you've done little to endear yourself either.

I (like many I suspect) read your initial post like this, "I'm a professional, I'm an expert, I know everything, this is wrong and anyone who says otherwise is going to be exposed for the uneducated fool they are and I'm just the man to do it".

So, in balance, I see your point, I disagree with it. Not much more I can say.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Dude, I am just asking for a full screen choice in ratios... what's the problem? all the other ratios will stay anyway.
Open facebook and then the facebook camera. Full screen. it makes sense to me. thanx
[doublepost=1537803705][/doublepost]

You lose about 4.5 MP from the original sensor. What the app is doing is just cropping off the top and bottom to fit the long end of the screen. You are not losing any quality because the image is still 4032 pixels wide. It's just visually smaller, unlike the screen shot that maxes out at 2688 pixels wide.
and digital zoom does ruin the photos. I Never use anything but 1x or 2x. Even going to 1.1x is blurring the pixels. Sometimes it's better to crop a 2x image instead of using a zoomed in
[doublepost=1537804003][/doublepost]
Yes it is your prerogative, and it isn't hard to understand. We all understand what you mean, yet you continue to be condescending.

I understand perfectly, your point, I disagree, simple as that. You've taken a very know it all stance and seemingly made it your mission to call people out on things they have said which are incorrect, but you don't seem so gracious when it's returned.

Your initial post sounded like most of your posts, like a statement of fact that Apple has in some way wronged the photographic community and it's your duty to expose them for it.

We get you're frustrated, ranting about it on here is only going to go so far. As I stated, the people making a personal attack on you is wrong, totally wrong and forums can be a pain in the a$$ for that and it's not productive, but you've done little to endear yourself either.

I (like many I suspect) read your initial post like this, "I'm a professional, I'm an expert, I know everything, this is wrong and anyone who says otherwise is going to be exposed for the uneducated fool they are and I'm just the man to do it".

So, in balance, I see your point, I disagree with it. Not much more I can say.
not really, I am just stating facts. I don't pretend to know everything. just what works for me. have a great day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.