Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxime_jean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
hello,
I noticed something on my iPhone xs Max, when I pressed the middle of the iPhone back I can hear a small sound as a popping noise.

Do you have this also?

Thank you

Reem0nN

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
hello,
I noticed something on my iPhone xs Max, when I pressed the middle of the iPhone back I can hear a small sound as a popping noise.

Do you have this also?

Thank you

I have the same sound on my XS Max, don’t know if this is normal.. But mine X didn’t had it.

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
I went through three before I gave up and bought an XS. The popping/creaking was audible when I walked and the phone was in my pocket (not a tight fitting pocket). Must have been a bad batch but I felt kind of stupid replacing phones and getting the exact same issue. Maybe I'll try again when they get some newer phones in stock.

Reem0nN

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
But if all XS Max have this problem, then i don’t need to exchange it.
I have 4 days left to decide if i bring it back or not.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I had this problem on the first Max that I purchased. If you pinched the screen and the back together about upper middle of the phone it would make a loud pop sound. I returned the phone and the next one did not have that problem.

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
Does the serial number begin in 'FF'? All my defective popping/creaking phones were Silver as well.

Reem0nN

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
I still have mine X but that thing is solid as an rock you don’t hear anything, no clicking, no cracking, no popping.
I don’t think it is normal, Some others don’t have it?

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
My Max was super creaky. Brought it to an Apple Store, 20mins later walked out with a new one.

agnes777

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018
mine also begins with 'FF'....seems more issues with these serials.
checked the info. linked with these serial numbers, cannot find anything, like F2, FK made in Zhenzhou China, D made in Chengdu, but nothing at all about ''FF''

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
My first XS Max had the same exact noise just much louder. I took it back and the next three units that I had did not have this issue.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
your serial number whas start with F
and the new one what start
????

The original one that had the popping issues was a Xs Max Space Gray with an FF serial number. All subsequent replacements had no popping and started with FF as well. Never had this problem on my 6, 6s, 6s+, 7+, SE or X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.