Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
As I was waiting to check out, I did try all floor units. Its about a 50/50 split.

INteresting. So the problem is not spreaded to the most of the phone. Some unit are kinda faulty. I'm out of the 14 days, and i have the AC+. If i go to the genius and the decide to swap, would they give me a brand new phone or just a refurb?

And again: in case they give me a new one and the screen is worst than mine or it's still creeky, may i refuse the change?

Sorry for the questions, actually i've never user the apple care service,

palooka23

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2015
Phone replaced this morning.
New phone has decent screen color and no "sounds" for now.

Apple was very courteous.
Got a new retail box replacement.

Reactions: Jutah

dark_thor

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
Phone replaced this morning.
New phone has decent screen color and no "sounds" for now.

Apple was very courteous.
Got a new retail box replacement.
Mine did not have it either in the beginning ! It kinda comes and goes which is somehow weird !

Reactions: Jutah

ahmed_shaalan

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
don't worry bro! I think is normal ! is an empty space in the back ! do not overthink! ;) just enjoy the phone bcs it is really a good phone
I'm kinda OCD person xD
I will try to ignore it anyways or take it to where the reseller. And yeah it's a very good phone!

Jay2456

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
New York
But if all XS Max have this problem, then i don’t need to exchange it.
I have 4 days left to decide if i bring it back or not.
Was the issue resolved? Same problem with me. I got a week left my IPhone Max from Apple Store. Noticed noise while cleaning back but pressed hard. However, if cleaning without pressing hard no noise. It may because wireless charging

chadmclark

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
My first X last year had it bad!! Replacement was perfect.

This year, first XS was fine. Decided to go Max - it had a faint pop to the left of the Apple logo ... got a new XS, again no pop at all; it’s a brick!

But, the lottery sucks in whole! I’ve had mushy uneven buttons, clicking, chips, dust under the camera - the list goes on and on, ugh lol!!

Latest; every single X and XS is slightly uneven (almost bent) ... I posted another thread on it. It’s only when holding the phone up to a light and looking longways down the edge (more on the volume side). I figure since every X I’ve had, has had this to some degree I’ll live with an otherwise perfect device - plus my luck I’d end up with one or more other issues!

Last edited:

Jay2456

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
New York
mine also begins with 'FF'....seems more issues with these serials.
checked the info. linked with these serial numbers, cannot find anything, like F2, FK made in Zhenzhou China, D made in Chengdu, but nothing at all about ''FF''
I have an unlocked version F2 same issue

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Seems like a strange thing to worry about. As long as the phone works well what’s the problem? You’ve got warranty for a year if anything is going to go wrong it will happen in that first year.

Jay2456

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
New York
Seems like a strange thing to worry about. As long as the phone works well what’s the problem? You’ve got warranty for a year if anything is going to go wrong it will happen in that first year.
I have until Jan 8th. I’ll wait another month to exchange it for a new one out of box. Over 1,000 you expect perfection no defects.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Does the serial number begin in 'FF'? All my defective popping/creaking phones were Silver as well.
I just purchased brand new X with serial number FK... and it makes pretty loud (in my opinion) popping sounds. Usually when I pick up the phone from the table when it has been sitting there for a while it makes that "'POP' sound when crabbing the phone from the sides and sometimes even when I check the phone screen for messages by lightly tapping the screen without actually picking up the phone. Also phone in my hands I can replicate that sound sometimes when I very slightly apply twisting torsion (very lightly, not actually bending the phone) but usually it does not do that twice in a row but If I press the sides of the phone and then do twisting again it does that pretty much every time in that sequence.

My wife's phone (also X) was made in Chengdu factory (serial number D..) and it only makes that sound (but much quietly) all the time when doing that slight twisting motion or slight clicking sound when pressing the back of the phone around Apple logo so that you also hold the upper corner of the screen with you thumb (basically just slightly squeeze it between your fingers around those places).

Since both of our new phones do that and they are made in different factories at the different time I think that might be more or less feature because if it was just rarely occuring fault then what are the chances to get two like that in our case?? Still that completely ruins the quality feel of the phone. I thought by paying premium price for the top of the line Apple phone I would get premium product. If that is not reasonable request then I hope they would sell premium versions for a little higher price for those who want to get 100% quality, for example if you would pay 100 extra you would get hand picked unit without any flaws in it.

Last edited:

ahmed_shaalan

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
I got my device replaced, and the new device doesn’t make that noise.

But it has another issue, which is the back glass is a little bit raised over the metal. xD

Jay2456

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
New York
I got my device replaced, and the new device doesn’t make that noise.

But it has another issue, which is the back glass is a little bit raised over the metal. xD
Unbelievable. Take it back. My phone has been perfect since I got it replaced. I was still under the 14 days and then until Jan 8th after an exchanged (box factory sealed). I have been happy since. No defects. Go to another Apple Store or Best Buy wherever you purchased that phone if the problem continued from that location. That’s what I did. I went to a different Apple Store. Glass Back is solid like my old 8 plus. No popping sounds no defects.

ahmed_shaalan

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
Unbelievable. Take it back. My phone has been perfect since I got it replaced. I was still under the 14 days and then until Jan 8th after an exchanged (box factory sealed). I have been happy since. No defects. Go to another Apple Store or Best Buy wherever you purchased that phone if the problem continued from that location. That’s what I did. I went to a different Apple Store. Glass Back is solid like my old 8 plus. No popping sounds no defects.

Actually there is no Apple Store in my country. Only resellers.

But Finally, I got a good one. Not perfect actually, the metal frame got a ding. But fine no big deal I guess.
I am tired of switching phones and 15 days investigation by the service center.
I think I will keep it for now, I have 2 years warranty.

Last edited:

Jay2456

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
New York
Actually there is no Apple Store in my country. Only resellers.

But Finally, I got a good one. Not perfect actually, the metal frame got a ding. But fine no big deal I guess.
I am tired of switching phones and 15 days investigation by the service center.
I think I will keep it for now, I have 2 years warranty.
It is a big deal. That should not happen. I switched 4 times and ended up within 14 days then til Jan 8th. I’m keeping this one the perfect one.

Leugim

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018
Hello. I have the same problem. Please check the video. I hope they can replace my phone :(

Jay2456

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
New York
Hello. I have the same problem. Please check the video. I hope they can replace my phone :(

That’s the same problem I had. I replaced mines when I was still under 14 days. Got a brand new one sealed box. The back is solid no popping noise anymore. I feel your pain. If you’re still under 14 days and/or holiday extension til January 8 2019 exchange it. If not pray refurbish will be better than the one you have.

Leugim

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018
That’s the same problem I had. I replaced mines when I was still under 14 days. Got a brand new one sealed box. The back is solid no popping noise anymore. I feel your pain. If you’re still under 14 days and/or holiday extension til January 8 2019 exchange it. If not pray refurbish will be better than the one you have.

Im my country we dont have official Apple Store. Today i leave the phone in a authorized center to check this noise, i hope they think this is not normal and have it replaced. I dont want a phone of this price making this strange noise.

Jay2456

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
New York
Im my country we dont have official Apple Store. Today i leave the phone in a authorized center to check this noise, i hope they think this is not normal and have it replaced. I dont want a phone of this price making this strange noise.
‍♂️ Show them the link on this thread or some YouTube. Good Luck.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore

This is absolutely not normal. I hope they replace it for you. It’s embarrassing that apple would even allow this to pass QC. To think at 1 time apple products were synonymous with quality. Personally I never had a problem like that and my iPhone XR has been prefect but this popping sound is totally unacceptable. If it were a $80 android phone I would understand but a phone that cost $1100 and up.... just sad. Shame on you apple.

Tonysparks

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2019
hello,
I noticed something on my iPhone xs Max, when I pressed the middle of the iPhone back I can hear a small sound as a popping noise.

Do you have this also?

Thank you
[doublepost=1548447298][/doublepost]Yes mine Max grey had the Same issue while holding facing with one hand other the camera a small click like sound in the middle is it ok or should return mine is a new one 15 days off use I faced this on my 7 plus also what should I do suggest me

Jay2456

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
New York
[doublepost=1548447298][/doublepost]
Yes mine Max grey had the Same issue while holding facing with one hand other the camera a small click like sound in the middle is it ok or should return mine is a new one 15 days off use I faced this on my 7 plus also what should I do suggest me
No hesitation. Exchange it. Get a brand new one sealed back. I’ve been very happy ever since I exchanged it. No more popping noise

Bruno12345

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2019
hello,
I noticed something on my iPhone xs Max, when I pressed the middle of the iPhone back I can hear a small sound as a popping noise.

Do you have this also? Yes me too I have the xs Max gold but it’s not that bad like you can hear it but it’s not super loud I don’t think it’s an emergency but I will take it to the apple store whenever I am in the mall because it’s doesn’t do anything it’s just the clicking sound at least it’s not only me. My friend has the same thing on her xs Max so idk what to do help!!!!!

Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.