Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Crystal landscape

Taken with my previous camera:

CrystalLandscape.jpg

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Taken with the stock Canon 400D lens

Some bugs in Borneo in April... just bought a new lens in Japan so I will take better photos next time!

Had to slightly adjust colours due to low exposure (my fault)

centipederg8.jpg

RAW image of a scorpion ;) [DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!]

img2685jpgns4.jpg

Removed the background colour only, using a layer mask.

img28472vj8.jpg

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Love the bug pictures koobcamuk. Can't wait to see what your pictures look like with the new lens. They are all so good I can't even begin to pick a favorite picture.

Thanks a lot! :)

I'm heading back there in about 3 weeks, so I will be uploading some more photos in a month or so. Hoping to get a shot of an orangutan (I have one but it's not good).

Sorry i don't know how to upload pictures properly.
Heres a link....

Here you go :)

2494054709_5309b4e6bb_b.jpg

2496372715_c039d4b058_b.jpg

bosstucker

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
I'm just getting into photography, and was immediately drawn to macro. Here are a couple of my very first shots that turned out ok. Tell me what you think. These are all taken with a canon rebel xti and the canon ef 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro.
A flower in my frontyard.
IMG_8213.jpg

Some random leaves.
IMG_8325.jpg

Leaf with droplet. I had others but almost all of them had some part of the various droplets out of focus. The dof made focusing on leaves with multiple drops tricky.
IMG_7781.jpg

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I'm just getting into photography, and was immediately drawn to macro. Here are a couple of my very first shots that turned out ok. Tell me what you think. These are all taken with a canon rebel xti and the canon ef 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro.

Nice! I particularly liked the second one, the composition is great! What settings did you use? :) I see you have the same setup as I do! You're in for a treat, it's a great combo!

Here are two other macros I'm really fond of:

Attachments

• Peekaboo.jpg
    Peekaboo.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Ring-lit eyes.jpg
    Ring-lit eyes.jpg
    959.3 KB · Views: 84

bosstucker

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Nice! I particularly liked the second one, the composition is great! What settings did you use? :) I see you have the same setup as I do! You're in for a treat, it's a great combo!
The funny thing is I didn't really know that your supposed to make a note of f stop and shutter and iso etc and I already deleted it off the camera so I can't remember. I had to fiddle with the aperture till I could get the definition of the leaf edges that I wanted while still having background blur. I'm with you on that lens. It is amazing. I tried to use it as a portrait too but I'm finding it finicky. Ideas? Btw, your spider pic is amazing, I love the clarity of the eyes and the reflection in them. Awesome shot. I want to try some macro photography of living things like bugs, but I don't really like getting close haha.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
The funny thing is I didn't really know that your supposed to make a note of f stop and shutter and iso etc and I already deleted it off the camera so I can't remember.

That data is actually stored with the picture in what's called the EXIF metadata. If you click Get Info in finder and expand the more info tab you'll get an abbreviated summary of the data. The full data can be retrieved with photoshop or a dedicated metadata reader.

Attachments

• metadata.jpg
    metadata.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 82

bosstucker

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Thanks Panoz, I had no idea that I could get all that data back. So those shots had the following values: 1/60 sec with f/5, iso 400. The leaves: 1/500sec f/5.6, iso 100. The leaf with water:1/500sec at f/5.6 also at iso 160. I realized now that I shot the droplets on that leaf with the kit lens, not the 100mm macro. I woke up and it was sunny after a heavy rain the night before and I was too excited to get some of those water droplets on leaf shots that I forgot to grab the macro, and just ran outside with the kit, I swapped it out later once I realized what I was doing lol. The first two were with the macro however.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Aperture f/2.8
Shutter Speed 1/10
Focal Length 60.0mm
ISO 100

Canon 20D

Attachments

• _MG_1997.jpg
    _MG_1997.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 69

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
DigitalPhotog, great composition :)

Here's one I did right after buying a set of diopters! the only thing I hate is the RIDICULOUS amount of chromatic abberation.. :(

20080606-eqtfr3rfrfydw1e9jn4rnmbdgq.jpg

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
Can anyone recommend a starting point for getting info on teleconverters for my Nikon 105mm VR? I'd like to go to 2:1 if possible. I know the Nikon TC-20E II model goes for about $400 but are the Kenko models at $90 any good?

If the Kenko gives good results I'd just assume save $300.

Squelch

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
TLH, FL
Here are two I took a week or two after I got my first macro lens for Christmas:

web.jpg

web.jpg

Please tell me if they're jacked up, as I know nothing about macro, just that it's neat to look at things in a different way. I don't know if it's right though.

I love taking macro pictures, but I haven't had much time lately. Plus I think my 10D is about to crap the bed. :( Oh well, it's had a good five years, 14,000 photos and two deployments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.