Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
danm said:
Thanks for your kind words :D I've learned just about everything about this discipline of shooting over at the Fredmiranda.com macro forum. The Mod, Tom Hicks is a master along with several of the members, I'm but a humble student :)

The 60mm you use, does it have IS or did you use a tripod (or just have a very steady hand)?

Also, what's it like in low light?

danm

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Clarkston, WA
FleurDuMal said:
The 60mm you use, does it have IS or did you use a tripod (or just have a very steady hand)?

Also, what's it like in low light?

This shot was handheld, the flash assembly allows me to use 1/250 shutter so handholding a 60 is a piece of cake :)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
danm said:
This shot was handheld, the flash assembly allows me to use 1/250 shutter so handholding a 60 is a piece of cake :)
I pretty much always hand hold too with my flash. I have the 150mm sigma, that lens rocks, I have a review up on my website.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Handholding a 60mm I can sort of understand, but a 150 mm.......wow, brave man. Sounds a bit risky. Do you (jared) also use an external flash (with the bracket), or just the built-in pop-up flash?

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Abstract said:
Handholding a 60mm I can sort of understand, but a 150 mm.......wow, brave man. Sounds a bit risky. Do you (jared) also use an external flash (with the bracket), or just the built-in pop-up flash?
Sigma flash, but I don't have a bracket. I want one, maybe I'll build one some day.

danm

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Clarkston, WA
jared_kipe said:
Sigma flash, but I don't have a bracket. I want one, maybe I'll build one some day.

The Bogen one I have was about $50.00, but you're right, it would be easy to make one.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
danm said:
The Bogen one I have was about $50.00, but you're right, it would be easy to make one.
Really? That rocks, but then I'd need a stupid off camera shoe. Though I guess I could just trigger it with the built in flash.
danm said:
Hey nice review and site. Your zoo gallery is eerily similar to the 'Animals' gallery on my site taken at Woodland Park Zoo :) http://danmphoto.com/
Yeah that rocks, you have some animals and snakes that I'm pretty sure were not there when I went last year around this time. If I go again I'll take a lens longer than 100mm and try to take better through the glass and low light shots. As I got my Sigma flash about 6 months ago.

danm

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Clarkston, WA
jared_kipe said:
Really? That rocks, but then I'd need a stupid off camera shoe. Though I guess I could just trigger it with the built in flash.

Yeah that rocks, you have some animals and snakes that I'm pretty sure were not there when I went last year around this time. If I go again I'll take a lens longer than 100mm and try to take better through the glass and low light shots. As I got my Sigma flash about 6 months ago.

I think for most zoo's, a 70-200 is the minimum, I used my 70-200 f/4 L for all those shots (excluding the polar bear - Portland Zoo with old P&S cam) but if I go again this year I'll bring my newly acquired 300 f/4 IS too :)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
danm said:
I think for most zoo's, a 70-200 is the minimum, I used my 70-200 f/4 L for all those shots (excluding the polar bear - Portland Zoo with old P&S cam) but if I go again this year I'll bring my newly acquired 300 f/4 IS too :)
I don't have anything that nice :'(

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
ok, here's one from a couple years ago. i loved that ring.... and a test shot i took recently when i got my new 50 mm lens.

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 80
  • homies.jpg
    homies.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 64

bertiespeirs

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
London, UK
a few photos from my gap year trip to Malaysia. Not sure if they qualify as macro, but close at the least
The first photo is a roughly 1 inch long praying mantis, that decided to crawl up my arm. I wish I could share the full sized picture with you - the detail in it is incredible.

The second, a very noisey photo, is a friends foot. Something clearly has bitten him, but to this day no-one knows what.

Third is from my a fly on a book on my desk.

I am a complete amateur to photography - all of these photos were taken with an Canon Ixus 50.

Attachments

• mantis.jpg
    mantis.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 85
  • bite.jpg
    bite.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 93
  • fly.jpg
    fly.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 84

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't think that 3rd photo is of a fly. :eek:

And nice work. I don't know how you got such a great shot of that "fly" because if it really is a fly, you probably got a 1:1 shot of it, possibly better. (?) :confused: (Or you cropped, and so I understand)

ldrhawke

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2006
Nikon D70

Nikon D70 105mm DG Macro lense Salt water fish tank coral

Attachments

• Monti-Cap-8.jpg
    Monti-Cap-8.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Monti-Cap-6.jpg
    Monti-Cap-6.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 74

fireball jones

macrumors member
May 31, 2006
snap58 said:
Came out real well, sharp, good detail. Remember any of the specifics on it?

It's from my 70-300G, @ 300. Probably f5.6 and at the closest focal depth, which is not very close at all on that lense ;)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
dollystereo said:
This is a Juan Fernandez Endemic Humming Bird (CHILE)

Neat image, hummingbirds are quite hard to capture, at least the ones I see. They are very skittish, nicely caught here though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.