Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
mnkeybsness said:

(click for larger)

Sorry for the watermark. Click the image to see the photo without the large watermark.

Seems to be a well composed (or cropped) photo. Is it actually a "Macro", or just cropped out to appear that way? May be more appropriate in a "roadkill" or similar thread, where it wouldn't be as "unexpected". : )

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
mnkeybsness said:
Moshiiii: Why does it piss you off? It is a part of nature. The bird was found this way and left untouched.

Roadkill pisses me off in general. I have nothing good to say about your picture thats why the critisism wasn't balanced.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
Clix Pix said:
IMHO this is most definitely NOT a "macro."

No I don't think it is, he has a bunch of RK pictures on the site and none appear to be Macro. While the subject is possibly disturbing, it does appear that he took some time and effort in taking the pictures.

As I can tell from the truly fabulous flower pictures on your site, you spend a lot of time and effort, (as well as awkward positions I imagine) to get yours just right. Personally, I really like yours. However I can't say he has no artistic talent, he does, though not the kind of subject I would go after let alone post.

That said, this is not a true "macro" either, but it's close (for me) until I get a real macro lens. I used a 135 2.0L with a 2x from about 3 feet away, F5.0, 125/s.

And hows the new (what's her name) lens working out?

Attachments

• ladybug_4038.jpg
    ladybug_4038.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 105

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
snap5 said:
That said, this is not a true "macro" either, but it's close (for me) until I get a real macro lens. I used a 135 2.0L with a 2x from about 3 feet away, F5.0, 125/s.

And hows the new (what's her name) lens working out?

Ooh, I like that, especially the little ladybug adding a bright color and contrast!

Bertha's doing just great, thanks for asking! :D Didn't get to use her over the weekend for various reasons, hoping to get out there tomorrow or the next day...

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
My first ever macro shot... be gentle :)

I just got my Macro lens which I'd been looking forward to for a long time now. I know it's slightly cliché but I'm quite happy with the result. I hope you like it

dandelionmacro.jpg

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
snap58 said:
Very nice, so which macro did you get?

Went for the Canon 100mm Macro, very pleased with it so far. Good working distance (Glad I didn't go for the 60mm now!), well built and very very good performer, very sharp.

Heading out to give it a bit of a workout tomorrow, should be able to give it a definite yay or nay after that, but so far I can't fault it :)

ekenny

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
New York
Here are two I just took of basil and parsley:

Attachments

• IMG_0707 - resized.JPG
    IMG_0707 - resized.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0714 - resized.JPG
    IMG_0714 - resized.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 58

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I found the picture of the dead bird to be thought provoking. It clearly made people react, even to the point of a few rather unkind (and therefore unnecessary) comments. I hope the few unconstructive comments don't scare the poster away.

After thinking about the shot for a while, figuring out why it made me react, I finally came to the realization that it made me sad. I usually think birds are pretty boring, but this poor bird was very beautiful, I felt sad for it.

I clicked on the link and looked at a few of the others in the poster's gallery, and it struck me that the images gave a strong impression of how brutal nature/life can be. I think virividox made a good point about considering the possible context.

It's a good thing that art also has room for images that provoke us, I like it when something makes me think in a way that isn't necessarily comfortable. It's fine to say that we are shocked or dismayed by an image, but I think we should say it in a respectful way. The poster's comments clearly show he was sincere when he posted it.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
annk said:
It's a good thing that art also has room for images that provoke us, I like it when something makes me think in a way that isn't necessarily comfortable. It's fine to say that we are shocked or dismayed by an image, but I think we should say it in a respectful way. The poster's comments clearly show he was sincere when he posted it.

Couldn't agree more. Robert Maplethrope is one of my all time favorite photographers, and of course has some rather disturbing photos (for some peoples taste), his skill though I think is unrivaled. I have a couple of his books laying around which always get some of my more "conservative" friends in a bind over some of his subject matter. Wonder if he were around still, would be be doing digital?

The deceased robin is a good photo, (so long as it was found that way), and I too hope he would share more of his work.

tykles

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2004
Colorado
not as pretty as flowers

It seems like there's really two macro camps- bugs and flowers.
lots of great critters in my garage since i never clean it.

spider.jpg

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I finally got around to trying out the color accent program on my camera. I really want a DSLR, but figure I need to master the camera I have (Canon Powershot S2 IS) fully before I start shopping. :p

coloraccent.jpg

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
annk said:
I finally got around to trying out the color accent program on my camera. I really want a DSLR, but figure I need to master the camera I have (Canon Powershot S2 IS) fully before I start shopping. :p

coloraccent.jpg

I really like this one :)

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Here's my favorite macro. I took this while hiking in the Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Kyle? said:
Here's my favorite macro. I took this while hiking in the Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming.

A great image IMO. Tonight I had a customer that came in for an "instant" 8x12 print from our Kodak center. I wish I could have shared it with you all. Yours is ranking up there with that image.

Thanks for sharing. :)

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
-Keypad.

This depicts the keys of my old Sony Ericsson T300i.

-Spider.

The spider came down infront of me, disturbing my view, but instead of blowin it away i decided to give it more focus.

-Stone.

The stone is approx. 1mm wide and sits on the wooden pole of a shovel.

If you want to see more, you can visit my DA page.

edit: Sorry for posting multiple pictures, forgot about the *only one* part of the first post.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Chip NoVaMac said:
A great image IMO. Tonight I had a customer that came in for an "instant" 8x12 print from our Kodak center. I wish I could have shared it with you all. Yours is ranking up there with that image.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks. I took it with a Canon SD300 Elph in digital macro mode. I was looking for opportunities to take neat pictures, and when I saw a few small pine cones near the log, the composition was a quick setup. I don't generally go out of my way to take cool pics, but having the Elph slipped in a pocket, I've been able to take advantage of such opportunities.

Overall, I've been amazed by the quality of photos in this thread. I don't know how many of the posters are professionals, but I really appreciate the detail visible in macro images, and some of the compositions are just stunning.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Clix Pix said:
I posted prior to reading the remainder of the thread.

If you'll read my post carefully, you'll note that I said:
"personally I find it to be disturbing and without any particular artistic merit." (Added italics to emphasize the key word here.)

You seem to reply, read the rest of the posts on the page (or even the next page), and then edit your previous post. "Personally", I think you should hold off on replying instead of replying to a certain post immediately and save yourself from comments that make it seem like you're not reading the replies.

Example....
Clix Pix said:
I'm glad SOMEBODY knows what that thing is. Ewwwww!

ETA: OK, so it's not a Tarantula.... well, it's still a pretty ugly little critter!

Clix Pix said:
IMHO this is most definitely NOT a "macro."

I don't think 2/3rds of the photos posted so far are macros. :p Your photos certainly are, but many of the other photos here.......no way. However, I think that because we're a computer board and not a dedicated photography board, most of us won't have a "macro" lens that's capable of taking something that's 1:2 or better, so anything that's "close up" will be good enough. You're just said it's "not a macro" because you don't like the subject matter.

And I knew nothing about photography until January (just search to see what types of threads I started here in January :eek: ), so you can imagine how many types of lenses I own as a student that can take a macro shot. I'll have to get one as my next purchase.

pdpfilms said:

Wow, that's a fracking creepy macro all right. :eek: I'm very protective of my eyes, and really can't imagine opening them up so wide while looking at the camera, even if there's no reason to fear (ie: no crazy lights behind the camera, or flash).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.