Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
And for your amusement, I'm going to post 2 photos.

Photo 1: Not a macro. :p It's probably more like 1:8. Actually, can I say it's probably more like 1:6, or do we just work in fractions of 2, 4, 8, 16, etc?

Photo 2: Also not a macro, but it must be like 1:4, possibly less.

Attachments

• DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 65

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
pdpfilms said:

That's quite an amazing shot pdpfilms, would you mind sharing the hardware used? I'd love to know the basics of the setup and such, I'm fascinated with eyes and have been trying to get a solid close up image of my friend's eyes....she has gorgeous eyes.

All info appreciated, thank you.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
efoto said:
That's quite an amazing shot pdpfilms, would you mind sharing the hardware used? I'd love to know the basics of the setup and such, I'm fascinated with eyes and have been trying to get a solid close up image of my friend's eyes....she has gorgeous eyes.

All info appreciated, thank you.
Absolutely, and thanks for the compliments!

Camera: Nikon D2x
Lens: Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 Micro
Aperture/Shutter: f/10, 1/80
ISO: 100

I set up the camera on a tripod and was using two flashes to get the best shadows. I played around with different angles for the second flash, and found that for this particular person's eye, it worked best from the bottom right. The original, full-frame picture includes almost all the eyelashes and corners of the eye, but was cropped to highlight the intricacies and texture of the iris itself. I think the coolest part is that there's a tiny cave in the iris on the right side...I never would have noticed.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
pdpfilms said:
Absolutely, and thanks for the compliments!

Camera: Nikon D2x
Lens: Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 Micro
Aperture/Shutter: f/10, 1/80
ISO: 100

Excellent, thanks for the info. The eyelashes have almost a freakish nature to them....they way they connect to the skin looks like it's from some invading bug force in a cheesy sci-fi movie....amazing that you can capture such detail.

Thanks again for sharing, I really like it :)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Funny story about this one. My "model" has never been able to keep her eyes open with a flash no matter what. Taking portraits, whatever, she blinks every time. I was dinking around one night and learned she'll keep her eyes open even if you're this close as long as she's distracted by something. She was playing a video game "Harvest Moon" and thus I was able to take a picture.

EDIT: You can't really tell but the detail on the iris is really fun and swirly like a water color, or Monet painting.

Canon 300D
Sigma 500 Flash
Sigma 150mm Macro

Attachments

• CRW_2486.jpg
    CRW_2486.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 110

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
efoto said:
Excellent, thanks for the info. The eyelashes have almost a freakish nature to them....they way they connect to the skin looks like it's from some invading bug force in a cheesy sci-fi movie....amazing that you can capture such detail.

Thanks again for sharing, I really like it :)

I like it also. Making me want to get the 105VR Micro and the R1C1 lighting setup. :eek:

danm

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Clarkston, WA
annk said:
I LOVE that one, how did you get the spider to cooperate?? :p

Thank you, I have several jumpers that roam my house and this one was cooperative enough to pose on one of my house plants. :)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I normally hate spiders but the shots you take of them danm give them an almost cute quality. I'm sure I'd still flip if I came across it personally but it's an awesome shot, thanks for sharing.

danm

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Clarkston, WA
efoto said:
I normally hate spiders but the shots you take of them danm give them an almost cute quality. I'm sure I'd still flip if I came across it personally but it's an awesome shot, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words :) Jumpers actually are kind of cute, huh?!?!?!? :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
efoto said:
I normally hate spiders but the shots you take of them danm give them an almost cute quality.

Cute? He called that thing a "jumper." I was afraid of spiders well before I knew spiders had jumping ability, but now that I do....... :eek:

Botanic Gardens, The "Gong", 22/04/2006

Attachments

• DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 99

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i like the picture of the bird too.

also enjoy "the gong", abstract. and all the others. i'm a big macro fan too, and if i ever actually read this thread while i'm at home, i'll post a couple of mine.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
virividox said:
1:1 = is the life size reproduction
1:2 = half macro - the picture is half the size of the real object
2:1 = double life size, the picture is two times the size of the real object

hope that clears things up

Wouldn't these ratios depend on your screen DPI, etc?

Anyways, here are some new macro shots. I'm guessing these qualify as "true" macros vs. my previous chess piece posting.

Attachments

• P6020001.JPG
    P6020001.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 62
  • P6020007.JPG
    P6020007.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 75

danm

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Clarkston, WA
FleurDuMal said:
Wow...that's really quite special. Just out of interest, what equipment are you using there?

Thanks a lot! I use a 30D efs 60 and 430ex with mini softbox on a manfrotto flash bracket. I think I have a picture of it, let me go look.........

PICT0110.jpg

PICT0113.jpg

belair

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
serious stuff

danm said:
Thanks a lot! I use a 30D efs 60 and 430ex with mini softbox on a manfrotto flash bracket. ]

Thats some serious stuff you got there.
I have never seen this "SOFTBOX" thing, I want one.:)
I also like your tripod, looks very sturdy and adjustable.

nice

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
danm said:
Thanks a lot! I use a 30D efs 60 and 430ex with mini softbox on a manfrotto flash bracket. I think I have a picture of it, let me go look.........
I find it weird you have all that equipment, and you use the EF-S 60mm with it :confused:

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
TheAnswer said:
I'm scared of spiders, so I'm glad he doesn't have the 100mm f/2.8 or anything larger. I'm :eek: as it is! :D
It wouldn't be any larger, he's just get to be farther away from them.

danm

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Clarkston, WA
jared_kipe said:
I find it weird you have all that equipment, and you use the EF-S 60mm with it :confused:

Not so weird :), it's the lens I started with last summer with my RebelXT when I became serious about photography and while I do plan on getting something longer (150-180) it won't replace the 60, just compliment it. The 60 really is a fabulous lens for tight places but tends to scare certain bugs with the 4" working distance for 1:1. I recently picked up a 300 f/4.0 IS that I plan to use with a 500D and 1.4x for dragon/damselflies and other larger bugs, so I have the really long macro covered, not to mention all the other things the 300 f/4 does so well :). For the medium range I've been really thinking about the Sigma 150, not sure yet though. Thanks for the question.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
danm said:
Not so weird :), it's the lens I started with last summer with my RebelXT when I became serious about photography and while I do plan on getting something longer (150-180) it won't replace the 60, just compliment it. The 60 really is a fabulous lens for tight places but tends to scare certain bugs with the 4" working distance for 1:1. I recently picked up a 300 f/4.0 IS that I plan to use with a 500D and 1.4x for dragon/damselflies and other larger bugs, so I have the really long macro covered, not to mention all the other things the 300 f/4 does so well :). For the medium range I've been really thinking about the Sigma 150, not sure yet though. Thanks for the question.

You understand the "science" behind macro photography IMO.

Most do not understand that more focal length increases subject to lens differences; but also less DOF as one increases focal length.

Your comments gives pause for those that are just beginning in Macro work.

I hope that you will share more with us in the future.

danm

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Clarkston, WA
Chip NoVaMac said:
You understand the "science" behind macro photography IMO.

Most do not understand that more focal length increases subject to lens differences; but also less DOF as one increases focal length.

Your comments gives pause for those that are just beginning in Macro work.

I hope that you will share more with us in the future.

Thanks for your kind words :D I've learned just about everything about this discipline of shooting over at the Fredmiranda.com macro forum. The Mod, Tom Hicks is a master along with several of the members, I'm but a humble student :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.