Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Chip NoVaMAc

Oh goodness, no missing the phallicism in that image. (that's pretty funny actually) But I have a tendency to really look at the things I see... if that makes sense. The problem with point of view is the point from which we view it; the quintessential snag of being individuals.

I see the dilemma with identifying a similar (yet clear) form [in nature] with male symbolism. Perhaps I am just spent today but nothing really stands out in my mind. (Give me time, I bet I sit up and think about this :p ) Well, other than the really corny objects like Bananas and Cucumbers, but that doesn't draw up a very deep pensiveness, now does it?

Maybe the deal with male vs. female forms (in all aspects) is that females tend to carry within, with men it's just all out there. (literally and figuratively) Maybe it's too obvious when searching for a phallic form. Therein apparently lies the difficultly. Hmmm (intesting concept here, made my squeeky wheels turn in my head) :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
iBlue said:
I love them, especially the first one with the blue and yellow. [snipped] The bark image is absolutely stunning; there's something about those colors.

Thank you, iBlue! Last year when I did the bark image, I was ecstatic when I had it in the computer -- knew it was a "keeper" from the get-go. I think what really makes it is the glowing color of the bark plus the tiny smidgen of blue (sky), offering nice contrast. Just as in black-and-white images, contrast is very important in shooting color. Then you have that intriguing line of light edging the bark.... Yeah, a "keeper."

This year with the other two images, I was again so tickled when I saw them in the computer. Sitting outside in the middle of the flowers, probing their innermost secrets with my lens and peering at the LCD screen afterward, I really couldn't be sure about the quality of the images until they later were viewed at a larger size on the computer screen. When the first image, the violet and yellow one with the nifty ciliae, came into view, again I knew that this one was a "keeper." Ditto for the yellow flower revealing a tantalizing glimpse at its hidden interior depths....

ChipNoVaMac said:
I hope that I do not offend Clix or any others here. These two images (perhaps the last one with some "selective" cropping, would be great candidates for a photographic "vagina monologue". They were at the same point beautiful, yet suggestive.

Not offended at all, Chip, and thank you! -- you're quite right, there is absolutely a suggestive element in both images, but especially the yellow one. Yes, cropped a bit more it would be even more so.... That is what is so intriguing about photographing flowers and plants: they can indeed be quite erotic. Many of the great photographers have done wondrous things with mere fruits, vegetables, plants and flowers.... Certainly when I set out to shoot these flowers, probe their inner beings, I didn't have any particular agenda or specific aim in mind beyond capturing their beauty and striving for something beyond showing the mere external petals or blossoms....but when viewing my images in the computer, it was unmistakable that there was more going on here...Wow!

A while back I did some fruits and vegetables...and again I was intrigued by the shapes, the curves, the lines.... only to see when the images were in the computer that I had actually captured much more and that again there was an interesting suggestive element.... LOL, my therapist will have fun with THIS!!! :D

Until recently I really had not entertained the idea of selling my images because, well, frankly, I didn't think any were good enough. Now I am beginning to see that, yes, there may actually be an opportunity here, and that I should think about getting some of my photos printed and seeing if they are of interest to others....

Thank you, Chip, for the honest appraisal of my work!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
iBlue said:
Maybe the deal with male vs. female forms (in all aspects) is that females tend to carry within, with men it's just all out there. (literally and figuratively) Maybe it's too obvious when searching for a phallic form. Therein apparently lies the difficultly. Hmmm (intesting concept here, made my squeeky wheels turn in my head) :)

Exactly! In some flower images, for instance, the phallic reference is all too clear, while in others, things are more secreted away, more subtle, more protected.... A participant on the women digital photographers' forum to which I belong did a gorgeous shot of a lily -- but, yes, it was extremely suggestive and very phallic....yet in the shot I did, we see how the flower (I don't even know what the heck it is) had a more feminine approach, the mystery carried within, unseen unless one did as I did and probed with eyes and fingers and lens....

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Clix Pix said:
Exactly! In some flower images, for instance, the phallic reference is all too clear, while in others, things are more secreted away, more subtle, more protected.... A participant on the women digital photographers' forum to which I belong did a gorgeous shot of a lily -- but, yes, it was extremely suggestive and very phallic....yet in the shot I did, we see how the flower (I don't even know what the heck it is) had a more feminine approach, the mystery carried within, unseen unless one did as I did and probed with eyes and fingers and lens....

is it wrong that I am so curious about that lily photo?

I am incredibly impressed by what I've seen from you. Like I said, it's inspiring, and there's honestly not many compliments higher than that. :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
iBlue said:
is it wrong that I am so curious about that lily photo?

I am incredibly impressed by what I've seen from you. Like I said, it's inspiring, and there's honestly not many compliments higher than that. :)

Thank you, iBlue! I am honored.

As for that lily photo, since it's not mine I cannot bring it in here, but I can give you the link to the gallery in which you'll find it (as well as other images by other very talented women. I've got a few images in there, myself -- LOL! ).... http://www.pbase.com/the_feminine_perspective Ilene's lily is in the Winners' Gallery, if I remember correctly.....

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I dont know which one to choose, but I like this:

IMG_2347.jpg

Canon PowerShot Pro1
f3.5
1/40 sec
focal lenth - 23mm

BTW this shot is taken on my balcony

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Here's one I took at easter....not bad considering all I used was a Canon SD450

IMG_0190-711233-795287.jpg

dogbone

macrumors 68020
virividox said:
tarantula!!! EEEK. but not as scary as they look

An Australian Huntsman not a taran-toola, we have a few that live in around the house. Notice the drop of water on it, does that make it a candidate for the water thread?

Here's a caterpiller also taken with a nikon 4500

And my morning coffee. (doesn't take much to get me to whore my macros around)

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 108
  • perk1.jpg
    perk1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 92

dogbone

macrumors 68020
OK here's the obligatory eye shot. the brown one is one of my favourites, it reminds me of Kier Dullea in 2001

EDIT: And a frog that we dug up about a foot underground. (must...stop...posting...)

Attachments

• eye1.jpg
    eye1.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 86
  • eye3.jpg
    eye3.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 104
  • frog.jpg
    frog.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 81

dogbone

macrumors 68020
dejo said:
Really? Guess I need to learn more what defines "macro". Such as, what does "1:1 or greater" mean?
Thanks.

Well the 55mm micro nikkor, only went down to 1:2 without an optional extension ring and even then it only went to 1:1.

I would say that macro is anything from about 1:4 onwards. Rarely is anything greater than 1:1 useful due to the impossibly small depth of field.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.