Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Are you just collecting them, or do you actually buy them with the intention of getting your moneys worth? :confused: I just don't get it, but since it's not my money, I guess I don't have to.

Ever consider selling the ones you don't use?

Nope, I'm not a collector, I actually purchase lenses with the intention of using them and I DO use them. Sure, I tend to reach for some lenses more frequently than others but I have used each and every lens. Some are more specialized than others, or some suit a particular purpose more than others. As for selling the lenses I don't use, yes, I have done that. I sold the 18-70mm kit lens that came with my D70 because I don't need that lens and never used it once I had begun acquiring other lenses. I also did sell the D70 and D70s a while back. I had kept the lens thinking it might come in handy but when a friend was buying a new D50 I offered that lens to her. I probably will be selling this same friend my 105mm macro (the non-VR one) since I also have the 105mm VR. When I buy a lens, though, it is not with the idea of saving it as a collector's item or using it and then selling it -- I usually have some specific purpose in mind for the lens prior to purchase. There are indeed collectors, of course, and there are indeed those who buy-and-sell with dizzying speed, but when I buy a lens I intend to keep it a good long time and I intend for it to see some use, not languish in the Pelican case.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Well, only been trying to get serious about this for a little while now, last 2 years or so, plus with a new baby and such, have not gone crazy with gear, but here is my setup.

Nikon D200
Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED DX VR
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
Nikon SB-600 flash
Slik Universal U-212 Deluxe tripod
Pedco Ultrapod II
SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash 4gb
Homemade light tent like this one

The next stuff I want to get (in no particular order)
A strap I like
A real wide angle lens
A couple Circular Polarizers or one and step up rings
A Graduated ND filter or one and step up rings

bloosqr

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2004
hmm

canon eos 3 (used)
canon elan 7e

nikon 5000 scanner (w/ above this is my poor peoples full frame digital :))

28-135 IS favorite lens had it for ages..
50 1.4 for indoors
20 2.8 gift, lots of fun ..
70-200 f/4 IS I just got this, i have been trying to use it for concert photography..

Since '76

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
Canon 20D

Canon 17-40L f/4
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Canon 70-200L f/4.0

(2) 1GB Cards
77mm and 58mm polarizer filters
67mm to 77mm step ring
Crumpler 6 million dollar bag
Manfrotto tripod and head
No-name remote release

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Nope, I'm not a collector, I actually purchase lenses with the intention of using them and I DO use them. Sure, I tend to reach for some lenses more frequently than others but I have used each and every lens. Some are more specialized than others, or some suit a particular purpose more than others. As for selling the lenses I don't use, yes, I have done that. I sold the 18-70mm kit lens that came with my D70 because I don't need that lens and never used it once I had begun acquiring other lenses. I also did sell the D70 and D70s a while back. I had kept the lens thinking it might come in handy but when a friend was buying a new D50 I offered that lens to her. I probably will be selling this same friend my 105mm macro (the non-VR one) since I also have the 105mm VR. When I buy a lens, though, it is not with the idea of saving it as a collector's item or using it and then selling it -- I usually have some specific purpose in mind for the lens prior to purchase. There are indeed collectors, of course, and there are indeed those who buy-and-sell with dizzying speed, but when I buy a lens I intend to keep it a good long time and I intend for it to see some use, not languish in the Pelican case.

Yeah, I figured you just bought lenses with one intention in mind, but then you focus on another part of photography or something. That, or you're involved in a criminal ring of Nikon lens theft and distribution.
I think I would have sold lenses at a faster rate because I'd probably have this weird fear of doubling up. For example, why do you have a 135 mm f/2 DC and 105 mm f/2 DC? I thought it was because the 135 mm wasn't commonplace while the 105 mm DC was still on sale. Couldn't be due to the 30 mm difference, could it?

Anyway, collecting rare lenses would have been cool too, I guess. Even if I had a 105 mm DC, I'd likely get a 135 mm f/2 if someone offered it to me for cheap. *cough*

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Leica D-Lux3

Simple kit, eh?

The nice thing is that I always have it with me, and in good light, I have gotten some beautiful pix.

Considering a Lumix DMC L1 and wondering if anyone has any comments on it?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
That, or you're involved in a criminal ring of Nikon lens theft and distribution.

:D :D :D :D

Abstract said:
For example, why do you have a 135 mm f/2 DC and 105 mm f/2 DC? I thought it was because the 135 mm wasn't commonplace while the 105 mm DC was still on sale. Couldn't be due to the 30 mm difference, could it?

Bought the 135mm because of the f/2 and the length more than the DC feature and bought the 105mm f/2 DC some time later because it is an excellent lens for portraiture and again because of that fast f/2. I'm a speed demon: love those fast lenses! :D

Also own the 105mm f/2.5 AI-S because it is one of Nikon's classic lenses when it comes to portraiture and such....

The Noct, of course, is now a genuine collector's item and deservedly so -- regardless of that, it's a fantastic lens with which to shoot, too. The Tokina 90mm is a gem from the past which still produces beautiful, creamy bokeh and gorgeous macros. The Lester Dine, which many people associate with use in clinical settings (physicians, dentists) is another real gem when it comes to shooting macro.

Each of my lenses has come to me with purpose and meaning. Each is unique in its own way. I don't just buy them for the sake of buying/owning them. I am fortunate to have been able to purchase and use the lenses I have. There are other lenses which I don't have and probably never will because I don't have a specific need for them.

On Nikon Cafe there is a thread about lenses and one guy has just shown photos of his -- someone commented that it looked as though he'd lifted pages from the Nikon catalog! There ARE people out there who indeed amass lots of lenses and who use and love them. There are also those who do collect them for the sake of collecting, but that's a whole 'nuther issue....

CLIX PIX - What camera straps do you prefer?

I responded to a thread here about camera straps, but I'll answer it again: I have Op-Tech straps on all my camera bodies. Been using them for years, since way back in my film days. Why? Primarily because they are more comfortable than the Nikon-issued ones. That aside, because they don't scream out what gear I'm using. I really would NOT go out in public with a strap that broadcasts to the world that I'm shooting with a NIKON D200 or NIKON D2Xs.... I'm not into advertising! I really don't like wearing or using any sort of product where the brand name/logo is flashing around for all and sundry to see. I don't go to the extent of black-masking out the name on the camera bodies or lenses but I don't see any reason to draw unnecessary attention to it, either.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
"Long time reader, first time poster"
Thought I'd jump into this thread :)

I'm relatively new to photography, but here's my stuff:
Nikon D80
Nikon 12-24 f/4
Nikon 17-55 f/2.8
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR
Nikon 55-200 f/4-5.6
And a cheap tripod

brett33

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2004
Waco, TX
Cameras:

1DsmkII
1D
D30
Holga (the fancy one with the built in color gels for the flash)
SD800 IS (something to keep in my pocket)

Lenses:

Sigma 8mm
17-40L
Sigma 20mm/1.8
24-105L
Contax 50mm/1.7
Contax 50mm/1.4
EF 50mm/1.4
Lensbaby 2.0
Lensbaby 3
Contax 60mm/2.8
70-200mm/2.8L
85mm/1.2
135mm/2.8 SF
Sigma 180mm Macro

Printers

Epson R320
4000 (Does fine with B&W if you use a RIP)
Canon IPF 8000 (got tired of ink swapping and head clogs on the Epsons)

Not going to list the filters, flashes, bags, strobes etc...too many to remember let alone list.

filmamigo

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto
Nikon F80 w/ MB16 battery grip
Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5
Sigma 35-70mm f/3.5
SB22s Speedlite

Yashica 12 (identical to the Yashicamat 124, but 120 film only)

Canon TL
Canon 50mm f/1.8

Pentax Spotmatic F
Pentac SMC 50mm f/4 macro

Manfrotto sticks

Blacks photo backpack

Wish list:
Fuji S5 pro (or S3... or S2)
Nikon D200 (or D100... or D80... or D70... even a D50)
Tamron 19-35mm (full frame)
Nikon 24mm f/2.8 or Sigma 24mm f/2.8 (apparently the same lens)
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon 9000 to scan my MF and 35mm
An unlimited supply of Ektachrome 100VS in 120 and 135 format.

filmamigo

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto
...and seeing as we are also talking about straps...

I was using a non-slip Tamrac digital strap on my F80. I really liked it, especially the quick-release clasps.

Then my dad got me a nice Nikon strap, I think it was originally an F60/N60 accessory. I didn't know if I would use it, because of the big "NIKON" flash screaming from my shoulder -- nothing incognito about that. However, I put the Nikon strap on because I felt bad, it being a gift and all. Now I love it, because the neoprene on the Nikon strap is REALLY comfortable and very non-slip. The only drawback is not having a quick release.

Sometimes I prefer to go out as incognito as possible, so I like to remove the MB16 grip, remove the big Tamron, put on the tiny little Sigma and use a little wrist strap. The F80 really strips down nicely -- you can go from a big imposing camera, to something very discreet. Like moving from a D2X to a D40.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Body
Canon Rebel XT

Lens
17-40L f4
50 1.8
70-200L 2.8
400L 5.6

Pods
Manfrotto 190pro
I have the fancy horizontal joystick ball head

Favorite lens:
the 50mm was until I got my 400 5.6. The super fast focusing and color quality of this lens is incredible.

I am currently trying to sell/trade the 70-200 2.8 for a 70-200 4IS. It would be a very good walkabout lens.

I am pretty happy with my gear, I am just contemplating the idea to upgrade my body to a 5D or a Mark III. I cant make up my mind, might wait until fall to see what comes out (plz plz: new 5d!!!)

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Body
Canon Rebel XT

Lens
17-40L f4
50 1.8
70-200L 2.8
400L 5.6

Pods
Manfrotto 190pro
I have the fancy horizontal joystick ball head

Favorite lens:
the 50mm was until I got my 400 5.6. The super fast focusing and color quality of this lens is incredible.

I am currently trying to sell/trade the 70-200 2.8 for a 70-200 4IS. It would be a very good walkabout lens.

I am pretty happy with my gear, I am just contemplating the idea to upgrade my body to a 5D or a Mark III. I cant make up my mind, might wait until fall to see what comes out (plz plz: new 5d!!!)

That's some nice glass you got. One question- why are you trying to get rid of the 70-200 f/2.8 for an f/4? Is it weight, or the IS? Because that 70-200 you have is probably the sharpest zoom lens ever made... by anyone. Just curious.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
it is too big and heavy! Also, the f4IS is better lens for travel because of the weigth and also the IS allow better shots in low light (ex: temples). I might also go with the 2.8IS, I dont know yet. But weigth is a big factor when you have to carry the darn gear for a month on your back!

As for sharpness, the f4 is shapper than the 2.8 (at f4), probably because of the IS, but the 2.8 gives a better bokeh and the sharpness difference is so minimal that it is not relevant.

Finaly, the f4IS is weather sealed, which is another plus for travel!

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
My Gear

Camera
Pentax K100D

Lenses
SMC Pentax M 50mm f/2
SMC Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited
SMC Pentax DA 18-55 f/3.5-5.6

Other Stuff
Some Random Pentax Bag
2 x 1GB SD card
1 x 512MB SD card
Vivitar 2800D Flash (old, want a new one)

That's all!

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
All this was bought fairly recently (last few weeks):

Body

Canon EOS 30D

Lenses

Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5
Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
Canon EF 50 II f1.8

Other stuff
Canon ES62AD lens hood
Canon EW83E lens hood
Canon EW83J lens hood
Canon RS80-N3 remote
Canon BP-511A battery (extra for spares)
UV filter
Circular polarizing filter
Sandisk 2GB Ultra III x 3
Lowepro bags
Arctic Butterfly 724 + assorted cleaning stuff

I also have Aperture on my Mac Pro for post-processing.

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2007
Chicago
Nikon D50
Nikkor 18-55 mm kit lens
Nikkor 70-300 mm lens
1 GB Sandisk sd card (also have a 2 GB card on order)
Seagate 60GB external hard drive for photo storage.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Nikon D50
Sony DSC-T10
Nikkor 18-55mm kit
Nikkor 55-200mm VR
Nikkor 50mm/1.8
Tiffen UV filter
Tiffen Circular Polarizer filter
Holga B+W filter
Sandisk 2gb UltraIII
Targus Carrying Case
Generic tripod
Aperture, Lightroom, CS3

Looking to add the SB-400 soon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.