Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Here’s mine folks.
4301B9A6-F95A-4ED3-86D8-98276DD9D78C.png

jasonc11

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
Has anyone found a simple search widget - i.e. a Google bar that could live at the top of the homescreen?

Professor Rucy

Suspended
Jan 29, 2020
Tyler, Texas, USA
While I give credit to Apple for finally allowing widgets a la Android, Apple has decided to give everyone “customization” while still locking down the iOS Launcher to look exactly the same as everyone else’s iPhone. No offense to anyone posting screenshots, but really, they pretty much look the same. I would be more impressed if you could resize the icons or shuffle them out of their locked position for better customization than what iOS 14 is currently allowing in beta.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
While I give credit to Apple for finally allowing widgets a la Android, Apple has decided to give everyone “customization” while still locking down the iOS Launcher to look exactly the same as everyone else’s iPhone. No offense to anyone posting screenshots, but really, they pretty much look the same. I would be more impressed if you could resize the icons or shuffle them out of their locked position for better customization than what iOS 14 is currently allowing in beta.
It’s still better than what we had before. Also, I’m sure developers will create more attractive, unique widgets than the ones Apple is currently offering. Apple’s widget are frankly ugly, especially that Calendar widget.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I love the fact we can, when in jiggle mode, drop same-sized widgets on top of one another to create stacks.
Interesting I will have to try this. I do like this widget thing, but they do take up a lot of real estate. I'd like to be able to stack as you say, and have Weather stacked with Maps and scroll from one to the other. Is this how t works?
[automerge]1592932696[/automerge]
Definitely some wasted space on Max phones. They can definitely squeeze another row in there. Maybe it's coming.

Professor Rucy

Suspended
Jan 29, 2020
Tyler, Texas, USA
It’s still better than what we had before. Also, I’m sure developers will create more attractive, unique widgets than the ones Apple is currently offering. Apple’s widget are frankly ugly, especially that Calendar widget.

This is better than before, but Apple’s widgets just look like gigantic app icons. Even if developers create “prettier” widgets than Apple, they are still locked to the same old iOS launcher that keeps icons on a static grid that is completely immovable.

I know, I know... caveat, “this is just a beta,” but the layout is still too boring and I’m 99% certain that won’t change between now and autumn. Just IMO.

marklemac

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Southampton, UK.
Interesting I will have to try this. I do like this widget thing, but they do take up a lot of real estate. I'd like to be able to stack as you say, and have Weather stacked with Maps and scroll from one to the other. Is this how t works?
[automerge]1592932696[/automerge]
Definitely some wasted space on Max phones. They can definitely squeeze another row in there. Maybe it's coming.

The stacking is a great little option :)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Still changing mine. Love it so much more than I thought I would already. My personal and work is vastly different. Not showing my work one. On my personal (shown) the top widget is a Siri smart stack. It works really well. It was showing the map widget showing how long it would take to get to work as I sometimes leave in 30 min to go.

AD0E20D8-2EC0-4F85-92CB-FE9369B426B6.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter K.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Still changing mine. Love it so much more than I thought I would already. My personal and work is vastly different. Not showing my work one. On my personal (shown) the top widget is a Siri smart stack. It works really well. It was showing the map widget showing how long it would take to get to work as I sometimes leave in 30 min to go.

View attachment 926723
How is your personal and work life “vastly” different because of the widgets?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.