Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
I decided to play around with some panormaic shots of Bath last night, here is the first result (I haven't had time to put the rest together). I went up before the sun set and stayed till dark. The actual size is 16000 pixels wide!:eek: but flickr won't let me have it that big.:(

This shot was made up of 9 images.
Camera EOS 350D
Lens Canon 50mm f1.8
Exposure 15 seconds
Aperture f/9
ISO 100

162918163_3356493f71_b.jpg

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Ok, here's one of my panoramas :)

Shepalovo.jpg

Sorry, I do not have the image details, all I can say is that this panorama was built up from 5 or 6 photos made in july 2005 :p

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
A quiet afternoon on Cayman Brac:
brac-800.jpg

Some obscure place in Peru. A bit dark overall, but I always enjoy the sunburst effect on the left:
MP-800.jpg

Both were taken with a now older 4MP Canon A80 Point-n-Shoot, handheld.

The reason why Machu Picchu came out so dark was because Canon's stitching system assumes you'll shoot left-to-right, so it exposed the first frame on the left (sun). The simple fix to this is to figure out where you want your critical exposure to be, take a shot there first to start the sequence, then swivel left and run the series. When you get home, don't use the shot that you took first to establish exposure....just use "2 thru N".

-hh

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
-hh said:
The reason why Machu Picchu came out so dark was because Canon's stitching system assumes you'll shoot left-to-right, so it exposed the first frame on the left (sun). The simple fix to this is to figure out where you want your critical exposure to be, take a shot there first to start the sequence, then swivel left and run the series. When you get home, don't use the shot that you took first to establish exposure....just use "2 thru N".

-hh

Can you cut these down to about 800 wide?

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I love panoramas, I had a thread earlier with them. Only problem is my FX9 doesn't let me control the exposure fully or have a panorama setting, so there is variation between images stitched together. Also the camera has quite a bit of vignetting, which degrades the transition. Overall though, these are my favorite:

buddisttemple5tq.jpg

-Buddist Temple in New Orleans East, December 31, 2005. Over the few days we cleaned up there, the trash accumulated quite a bit on the side of the street. And now they want to build a landfill in New Orleans East a mere mile from this location ... the Vietnamese community will suffer quite a bit. It's a shame really.
http://www.saveneworleanseast.org

cafedumonde8rl.jpg

-Café du Monde in the French Quarter, New Orleans, December 30, 2005. Kinda a funky stitch I didn't want to crop =)

mississippiriver9ug.jpg

-Mississippi River, northern Twin Cities, January 23, 2006. This is taken from the Coon Rapids Dam a mile from my house, looking North. It's a very serene scene above the dam. (You should see the view south, very turbulent!)

minneapolissunset3hn.jpg

-Minneapolis Skyline at dusk from the University of Minnesota campus, January 25, 2006. Not the best looking panorama, but it's the only one I have of dusk/dawn.

kirbypuckettmemorial3tc.jpg

-Metrodome, Minneapolis, MN, March 8, 2006. Kirby Puckett, a legend in Minnesota, the makeshift memorial was set up in front of the Metrodome where he played. People look on with sadness and honor memories of the great man.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
awesome shots everyone. panoramas are one of those things that i absolutely love and yet haven't taken the time to do them... stupid me. hopefully this will inspire me, even if it's just a test to make sure i can pull it off technically!

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
Here are some close ups as it won't let me make it huge

The one on the left shows the Abbey and The Rec (Bath Rugby Ground), and the one on the right shows the train station ( complete with moving train that you can't see becasue it was going to fast!

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 119
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 98

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Here is one that I did this weekend. A view over the Plan de la Tour valley; Var; France. It is made up of about 14 shots handheld with a 50 mm lens.
sundowner.jpg

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I posted this in the thread Over Achiever mentioned, but since we're revisiting the topic I'll throw it out again :)

I've been thinking... You know how iStockphoto taps the masses for stock photography? I wonder if we could pull together some enterprising individuals here and start a site dedicated to pano's. Probably too much of a niche I guess :cool: Thoughts?

Anyways, click the Pano below to view the QTVR.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
Cooknn said:
I posted this in the thread Over Achiever mentioned, but since we're revisiting the topic I'll throw it out again :)

I've been thinking... You know how iStockphoto taps the masses for stock photography? I wonder if we could pull together some enterprising individuals here and start a site dedicated to pano's. Probably too much of a niche I guess :cool: Thoughts?

Interesting Idea

£23 (~$50) per year buys 20Gb of space with my hosting company, it allows php asp and sql. I'm sure we have enough combined web experence to pull together a decent site.

domains like full360.co.uk or panr.com (think flicker but for panoramas) are all available

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Cooknn said:
That's an interesting thought. I've never figured out what the right aspect ratio is for printing panoramic, or where to do so, and where I can find framing for them.

Oh, and I absolutely love that image =)

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
Over Achiever said:
That's an interesting thought. I've never figured out what the right aspect ratio is for printing panoramic, or where to do so, and where I can find framing for them.

Oh, and I absolutely love that image =)

I printed one of mine out via PhotoBox on a 20"x8", be nice if somewhere did bigger though

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
mcmadhatter said:
Interesting Idea

£23 (~$50) per year buys 20Gb of space with my hosting company, it allows php asp and sql. I'm sure we have enough combined web experence to pull together a decent site.

domains like full360.co.uk or panr.com (think flicker but for panoramas) are all available
I suppose we could just hook up with GettyImages and upload our pano's to their site. Not sure what type of requirements you need to get your work in their database though. Here's a link to GettyImages for Marina Panorma's.

puckhead193 said:
awesome panoramas.....Does it take long to put a QTVR together?
There's a link to a movie on how to make QTVR's in this thread.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Cooknn said:
I suppose we could just hook up with GettyImages and upload our pano's to their site. Not sure what type of requirements you need to get your work in their database though. Here's a link to GettyImages for Marina Panorma's.

There's a link to a movie on how to make QTVR's in this thread.

I never saw that post, Dave - thanks for relinking it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.