Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Here are a few of mine
Fenway Park Green Monster 4 image stich
Fenway%20Park.jpg

River Scene Panoramic
8-10 image stich with the ship moving at the time
River%20Scene.jpg

Citizens Bank Park
8 image stich WIP for color
Citizens_Bank_Park.jpg

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
163246246_67e6e78d63_o.png

just a little one from my new zealand trip a couple months ago. I've been experimenting a lot with panoramics lately. im still trying to get it right. but thats part of the fun :)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
AGoglanian said:
just a little one from my new zealand trip a couple months ago. I've been experimenting a lot with panoramics lately. im still trying to get it right. but thats part of the fun :)
How was the trip to NZ? I'm thinking my next big trip might be there...

L

Lau

mcmadhatter, that's a great panorama of Bath. I reckon, after trying to work out the angles and stuff, that I live about here. :D

lau.png

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Lau said:
mcmadhatter, that's a great panorama of Bath. I reckon, after trying to work out the angles and stuff, that I live about here. :D

View attachment 49867
Don't worry about the angles and stuff, if you look closely there's a give-away big red arrow over your house.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
Cooknn said:
How was the trip to NZ? I'm thinking my next big trip might be there...

all i can say is. oh my god.
it just incredibly lush and beautiful there. even driving around town to town there is so much scenery i just cant even begin to describe it.

http://flickr.com/photos/agphotography/sets/72157594160062932/

those are just a tiny fraction of the hundreds of images that i took on that trip.
but youll get the idea! you would love it. im serious!

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
AGoglanian said:
all i can say is. oh my god.
it just incredibly lush and beautiful there. even driving around town to town there is so much scenery i just cant even begin to describe it.

http://flickr.com/photos/agphotography/sets/72157594160062932/
those are just a tiny fraction of the hundreds of images that i took on that trip.
but youll get the idea! you would love it. im serious!
Beautiful pictures! I'm definitely going to get down there. Might be post child-support though ;)

tykles

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2004
Colorado
a few of mine

This is the house of friends of ours in Sonoma County, CA. An amazing home:
edcarolynhouse.jpg
Here is one of the hotsprings in the eastern Sierras - I think it's called Crabcooker.
hotspring.jpg
Finally, Half Dome.
theDome.jpg

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
Lau said:

QUOTE]

I'll put the full size one and the others I have on my website tomorrow

you can't see my house, but you can see the gasworks it's near

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Whoops, it turned out a bit too large. Ah well, may as well consider it as a "Widescreen Desktop"? :)

Here it is as a link.

View of the main gallery floor of the Orsay Museum, Paris. Used to be a railroad station...it remains a beautiful space.

Canon A80 - 3 images taken vertically, then stitched horizontally.

-hh

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Here is one I did way back in 94' :D

attachment.php

Its from a job site in Alaska during winter...I had to hand stitch 7 or 8 images in Photoshop (v. 4 or 5) and those cables and wires were a pain. The full size image was printed out to about 7' and it looked quite good.

D

Attachments

• haarpPan.flat.jpg
    haarpPan.flat.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 741

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
Here is one I took on a ski trip in Keystone (I would like the picture even more if it were sans my pissed of buddy's mug being in the shot)

6.jpg

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Mr. Anderson said:
Here is one I did way back in 94' :D

Its from a job site in Alaska during winter...I had to hand stitch 7 or 8 images in Photoshop (v. 4 or 5) and those cables and wires were a pain. The full size image was printed out to about 7' and it looked quite good.

D
Wow, what is that thing(s) for?

Complete newbie question. Whenever I've tried to stitch shots together I can never get them to line up properly.
If I get the lake bed correct, then the tree tops are off etc.
How do you get around this? Is it just because I've used a crappy camera with a lot of lens distortion? Or because I'm swaying too much as I pivot? :)
Thanks

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
neocell said:
Wow, what is that thing(s) for?

Looks like a communications array to me.

Complete newbie question. Whenever I've tried to stitch shots together I can never get them to line up properly.
How do you get around this? Is it just because I've used a crappy camera with a lot of lens distortion? Or because I'm swaying too much as I pivot? :)

I run into the same problems (you can find where I did some touch-up in my Orsay pano, above link).

I'd be inclined to believe that #1 for most people is no tripod to keep things level and controlled, plus not pivoting on the nodal point, which creates big errors for the stitcher to try to overcome. Another factor is for the stitcher to know the actual focal length that was used in the shot...IIRC, Canon's stitcher pulls the EXIF data automatically to take care of this step for you; I imagine that others do this as well.

-hh

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
neocell said:
Thanks

The best way to do it is to

1) Use a tripod if possible (if this is not possible then try and rest the camera on someting)

2) Make sure you are using at least a 50 mm focal length so that you don't get barrel distortion (Zoom the camera so that it is about half way between wide angle and telephoto if you have a point and shoot)

3) lock the exposure settings and focal length, so that it should fit together nicely

3) try to make sure that the right and left 3rd of you image is also covered by the images either side, though this doesn't have to be obeyed, bascally you want some overlap and to avoid having to join on complex parts, it also means that you have room to crop or delete bits from the edge of an image

Then if your using photoshop

4) Stitching together I find is usally quickest and easiest manually in photoshop. you can use the perspective and distort transform tools to line up any problems at the edges, though if you follow 2) then these shouldn't be to much of a problem, especially if you crop some of the side of each image.

5) To "blend" one image to the next. Firstly I import each image as a seperate layer in photoshop,

6) Align them by eye, and then create a new layer mask for each layer

7) Using the gradient tool from white to black, drag the gradient along the part where the two images join (you must be doing this in the newly created layer mask)

8) To tidy the image up you can use the balck or white paint brush on the layer mask to select parts form the top or bottom images respectively

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
neocell said:
Thanks
Just use Panorama Maker!

::20ROGERSC::

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Thanks a lot mcmadhatter, -hh and 20rogersc.

Since I already have photoshop I think I'll go with mcmadhatter's & -hh's advice. Yeah, the images I have taken in the past are with a crappy 2 MP digital camera, so I guess I should have expected some bending. I'll be sure to use my SLR next time with the settings you guys suggested.

Switcher2001

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Grand Canyon Panoramas

I took these with my Canon PowerShot SD450. They are made up of anywhere from 3–5 images, and they were all stitched together by HP Photosmart Stitch (a sweet cocoa app, btw!).

STD_0735-Panorama.jpg

STD_0677-Panorama.jpg

STD_0685-Panorama.jpg

STA_0691-Panorama.jpg

Switcher2001

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Saguaro Lake Panoramas

These are panoramas of Saguaro Lake, outside of Phoenix, Arizona. They were taken with my Canon PowerShot S30 and stitched with Canon PhotoStitch.

Panorama1.jpg

Panorama2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.