Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zebbz

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
London
this is the first time ive seen 'tilt-shift' i must say im quite impressed
definately going to try this out

when i saw the first picture
i thought to myself
wow thats a pretty detailed looking model lol

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
Man that one is far out. It can't be real. Nice job making the effect work from eye level too.

thanks

Yes, it'd be interesting to know what lens you're using - e.g. is it a real tilt-shift, a Lens Baby, etc.

This "miniature" effect is quite interesting, but there are other things you can do with a tilt-shift. Bjørn Rorslett has some stunning photos he's taken with one.

mine are all photoshop (not limited to an optical plane and can decide where the blur goes after the fact)

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
some more...

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 149
  • moonlit_bench.jpg
    moonlit_bench.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 180

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
i understand tilt-shift faking, but how do you get this effect with a camera?

Special lenses. The Lens Baby is pretty popular but isn't a true tilt-shift lens, like this one:

Canon-TS-E-24mm-f-3.5-L-Tilt-Shift-Lens.jpg

I did a quick job on a photo from a recent trip to Disneyland:

3023694251_368e35d9ff.jpg

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Special lenses. The Lens Baby is pretty popular but isn't a true tilt-shift lens, like this one:

Canon-TS-E-24mm-f-3.5-L-Tilt-Shift-Lens.jpg

I did a quick job on a photo from a recent trip to Disneyland:

3023694251_368e35d9ff.jpg
Yeah LensBabies are the lower end. They get the job done, but the elements are plastic so you don't get amazing shots all the time... I've been thinking of getting the new one which looks pretty cool!

equinoxx

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
There was a good deal of interest in a photo in the last contest thread that used a tilt-shift effect. So I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we can post our attempts at creating Lilliputian worlds with tilt-shift lenses or post-processing that mimics their effects.

Here's my first attempt:

OlympieionAerial_TS2.jpg

I just did this one quickly to try it out. I'll attempt another one when I have more time. :)

Anyone else have one to share?

P.S. Here's a decent tutorial.

Great pictures in this thread. The one in the photocontest thread was mine.

I have found that the best pictures to use to simulate this effect are ones where you are looking down at an angle towards the subject.

Here is the tutorial that I followed:

http://www.tiltshiftphotography.net/photoshop-tutorial.php

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I posted this one to the daily thread already, but I'd may as well put it here too. I'm starting to get the hang of this tilt-shift effect. It's so much fun! :)

(To see the original photo, click here.)

RomanVilla_TS.jpg

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
I posted this one to the daily thread already, but I'd may as well put it here too. I'm starting to get the hang of this tilt-shift effect. It's so much fun! :)

(To see the original photo, click here.)

HOLY !#$%#^$&%^**^%$#@$#%^&^%#$@%&^*&^%$@#$

THAT is pure photoshop skills!! xD Lovin' it!!

and they way you did it, really made the palnts look plastic

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
titl-shift is probably the coolest effect ever. It look so pretty when you have alot of colors.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah LensBabies are the lower end. They get the job done, but the elements are plastic so you don't get amazing shots all the time... I've been thinking of getting the new one which looks pretty cool!

Here's mine with the Lensbaby 3G.

2410958158_4105b66db6_b.jpg

Looking down from my old office. 1 Queen's Road Central, Hong Kong.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
:eek::eek::eek:Must get one for christmas!!!!!!

A little getting use to in the beginning but once you get the hang of it, they're real fun to use. The new "Composer" model is out and is a lot less cumbersome than the 3G. But the 3G has its advantages when shooting macros...you can fine tune the focus by adjusting the prongs.

rebrook

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Maryland, USA
Hi All,

I have just started using the tilt-shift editing technique and thought I would share. This one is hiking in Bryce Canyon. Let me know what you think!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Hi All,

I have just started using the tilt-shift editing technique and thought I would share. This one is hiking in Bryce Canyon. Let me know what you think!

not bad at all, too bad the tree is in focus though. Well that just my op

Yeah, in order to make it super realistic, you have to to some selective editing of your mask. Just make the whole tree in the foreground blurry so it doesn't have a stripe of sharpness in the middle of it. Likewise with the two rocky outcroppings near the guy wearing yellow: make those be sharp all the way up instead of only at their bases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.