Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rebrook

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Maryland, USA
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been having a hard time finding a tutorial on how to selectively mask parts of the photo, so right now they have the static line. Any suggestions on a good Photoshop tutorial for selective mask editing?

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Just tried one using the tiltshift.com website, nice an easy for those of us without all the fancy tools :)

445167488_Jk6Lj-L.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Hi

Have tried this and when I select lens blur I get the Alpha mask coming through (i.e. black and white) rather than the image. I have tried just selecting the RGB image but this is having no effect, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Before you select lens blur from the menu, select the RGB channel so that you're looking at your image and not at the Alpha channel. You don't need to have the Alpha channel selected or visible in any way, since you can target it from within the Lens Blur dialogue box.

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
Before you select lens blur from the menu, select the RGB channel so that you're looking at your image and not at the Alpha channel. You don't need to have the Alpha channel selected or visible in any way, since you can target it from within the Lens Blur dialogue box.

Thanks, sorry one other basic question, I now have my adjusted image but cant flatten it for saving. Option is not available.

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
If you don't have multiple layers, there is nothing to flatten. The option to "save" is not available?

Sorry have now duplicated layer and can flatten. Problem is that the only part of the image that is saved is the foreground, background is white. Appears I am not saving all the image.

Problem solved only saved Alpha layer, sorry to mess you about.

newbetoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
This one looks great. The effect definitely works best with aerial views.

Aerial shots seem to have a higher chance of success, however I think jbernie comes close there with his type of shot.

If you take a photo of a sloped area straight on, and there are lots of little details within the frame, then it can work well there too. I think with jbernie's pic, if the size of the houses in the front were just a bit smaller then it would work very well too.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO

Aerial shots seem to have a higher chance of success, however I think jbernie comes close there with his type of shot.

If you take a photo of a sloped area straight on, and there are lots of little details within the frame, then it can work well there too. I think with jbernie's pic, if the size of the houses in the front were just a bit smaller then it would work very well too.

thanks :). definately need lots of details in the photo being used, otherwise you dont seem to get the desired effect. It is also important to get the right areas in/out of focus. With my one the first time I did it the boat between the two houses was completely in the out of focus area and because of that it lost impact, because it is closer to you and a large object (relative to bankground houses) you are more likely to pay attention to it. I moved the focus around a bit so the boat is enough in focus to know that it is actually a boat :)

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
macro effect?

Wow, what a weird effect ! but I would call it "macro" effect (shallow DoF that make it seem like a miniature), rather than tilt-shift

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I never heard of tilt-shift, but they seem to love it on the show Dollhouse. I saw it there a couple weeks ago and got curious. A little research led to my first attempt. (Mask is not a simple gradient, it's custom, so for example the tree next to the car can be properly blurred due to being closer.)

A real car made to look like a toy. (Two versions, one cropped to hide the distant background.)

Attachments

• ModelLotus.jpg
    ModelLotus.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 95
  • ModelLotus2.jpg
    ModelLotus2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 99

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
My first shot at a tilt-shift. This is from the top of Mt Yonah in North Georgia. Click to make it bigger.

Attachments

• tiltshift.jpg
    tiltshift.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 127

jeff127

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2006
A few I already had uploaded from a trip to NYC last year. BTW, that one with the hand is cool. ;)

2409048342_49ec1a1986_o.jpg

3366211524_9585f7f568_o.jpg

Jeff.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
How about a REAL tilt shift image?

I decided to bring this post back and start posting some pictures I'll be taking with my rented 24mm Tilt Shift 3.5L Canon lens I've got for the week. Fed Ex delivered it today, and I spent the day trying to figure out how to use the thing. I'm shooting a wedding in DC tomorrow, and wanted to try and see if I could get some cool portraits done with it, but today was whatever I could shoot day.

I'm staying with my sister in Hershey, PA, about an hour from Gettysburg. We headed there. I didn't get anything terribly interesting, but this is an okay shot. All I added was more vignette, the blur is natural in lens.

gettysburg.jpg

Canon EOS 20D :: 24 mm :: f 3.5 :: 1/4000 sec :: iso 100

I'll be spending the rest of the week in Washington DC, so I'll be sure to take advantage of the architecture. Took me until this after to realize just how the Shift feature works. It's pretty tight. Utilizing Tilt, Shift and Pivot can sure make this lens look pretty wonky on the front, kinda cool.

rhue-haus.jpg

Just a fun shot out the front door, lens tilted left/right. You can pivot the lens to either tilt left/right, or up/down.

Took this one tonight, this is a combination of 3 images, utilizing tilt and shift. Shift basically just shifts the lens about 35 degrees left or right, or up and down (depends on how you pivot the lens), but keeps the plane flat against the subject. It's kinda hard to explain. This image is 3 landscape oriented stacked on top of eachother. Shifting prevents messed up lines cause by having to point the camera up, then straight, then down. I'm able to cover the same area, but the lens stays pointing straight out. Almost like moving a tripod up and down.

rhue-haus-night.jpg

Keep checking back througout the week, I'll keep posting here! They'll get more interesting, I promise!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I decided to bring this post back and start posting some pictures I'll be taking with my rented 24mm Tilt Shift 3.5L Canon lens I've got for the week. Fed Ex delivered it today, and I spent the day trying to figure out how to use the thing. I'm shooting a wedding in DC tomorrow, and wanted to try and see if I could get some cool portraits done with it, but today was whatever I could shoot day...

Keep checking back througout the week, I'll keep posting here! They'll get more interesting, I promise!

Fun stuff. Is that the new version of the 24mm TS? I played around with the older version once. I sure would like to have one for an upcoming photo trip I have planned, since I'll be shooting a bunch of architecture. However, I'll probably end up doing my perspective correction in PS instead.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I decided to bring this post back and start posting some pictures I'll be taking with my rented 24mm Tilt Shift 3.5L Canon lens I've got for the week.

Cool! I've been wanting to see some REAL non-Photoshopped examples but couldn't find any. The one with the mailboxes, if you turned the effect sideways, looks to me like it would produce very much the same effect as some of the Photoshop ones.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Wow! Now this looks so awesome!
Now I really can't wait till I get my camera and get into using Photoshop and other things!

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Can't wait for the new tilt shift lenses to come out. Although I must say the software fix isn't bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.