Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I did talk to an electrition today who would look it over for free. Since the line runs underground, it would be under $100 to fix, however the guy said he would do the same thing i would, dig the wire up, splice it and bury it.

Well, you said you spliced it with electrical tape. I assume this "qualified" guy will be doing a little more than that. I'll also be interested to hear his opinion of an unprotected cable being 6" from the surface.

I assume you didn't take him through the rest of your system, with your single cable being on a 60A fuse, etc?

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Well, you said you spliced it with electrical tape. I assume this "qualified" guy will be doing a little more than that. I'll also be interested to hear his opinion of an unprotected cable being 6" from the surface.

I assume you didn't take him through the rest of your system, with your single cable being on a 60A fuse, etc?
he never looked at it. I saw him on the street in his van as i was working and i talked to him.

Anyway I will call this thread RESOLVED. I dug up the wire today and repaired it (the part nicked with the shovel was charred and melted). Just chopped off the bad 2 inch section, stipped the wires and joined them together using a couple of wire nuts. Later on next month I will get a plastic junction box with some plastic conduit and do a more perminate fix. For right now it's working. The power is fully restored and the wire splice is above ground with a bucket over it to protect it from the elements until i can buy the junction box and re-bury it.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
he never looked at it. I saw him on the street in his van as i was working and i talked to him.

Anyway I will call this thread RESOLVED. I dug up the wire today and repaired it (the part nicked with the shovel was charred and melted). Just chopped off the bad 2 inch section, stipped the wires and joined them together using a couple of wire nuts. Later on next month I will get a plastic junction box with some plastic conduit and do a more perminate fix. For right now it's working. The power is fully restored and the wire splice is above ground with a bucket over it to protect it from the elements until i can buy the junction box and re-bury it.

Oh, for the love of God...spend three seconds doing a google search and buy a proper underground splice kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Gardner-HST-1300-Underground-waterproof-splicing/dp/B00004WLKR

At least do one thing right in that place.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
It seems this discussion is at a point where locking the thread is the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.