Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basilt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
You don't need to do that at all. Keyboard shortcuts and commands can easily be changed throughout the system without any security being disabled. You don't have the key mapped to anything else, do you?

Gee it works !!! I found by accident that in Onyx i turned off Mission control, although i could set keys via pref pane !

Another Crazy behavior is that when i move my mouse pointer very fast, cannot solve this, it grows / enlarges on screen and when i stop is shrunk to normal...

Reactions: hwojtek

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Gee it works !!! I found by accident that in Onyx i turned off Mission control, although i could set keys via pref pane !

Ah, yes. Mission Control handles all sorts of things, like Spaces and Exposé

Another Crazy behavior is that when i move my mouse pointer very fast, cannot solve this, it grows / enlarges on screen and when i stop is shrunk to normal...

This is expected behaviour. It's a feature even demonstrated on stage, for quickly finding the mouse cursor if you lose it on screen.
If you don't like it, it can be turned off in System Preferences. Go to Accessibility, then to Display, and uncheck "Shake mouse pointer to locate"

Reactions: hwojtek

basilt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
guys can i ask what version of FCP you recommend on a late 2009 macbook with 128gb boot ssd ?
also what OSX you recommend for smooth FCP at this stage.

basilt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
For complete info, how much RAM does it have?
it has 4GB, but there is a kind of 'hack' and you can add 8 max.

so i will soon buy the 8, but i believe i will start installing with 4Gb. dont know...
what would you suggest ?

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
it has 4GB, but there is a kind of 'hack' and you can add 8 max.

so i will soon buy the 8, but i believe i will start installing with 4Gb. dont know...
what would you suggest ?
I wouldn't call it a hack, your machine is just capable of using 8gb ram.

But due to the vram and the cpu limitations I wouldn’t use fcpx but FCP7 but if you do want to go with fcpx, just go all out with High Sierra and the latest FCPX

Just turn off background rendering

Last edited:
Reactions: basilt

basilt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
I mainly now need urgently to do a subtitle file over an interview and as i dont use i.e leopard anymore, i thought that
together with the startup ssd would be fcpx in terms of working with ie max 20min movies or other editing. not very big

what devices would you recommend to use with this old laptop to access my (at the moment) internal sata 250gb hdd,
when it will be an external one ...

Do you have any specific plugin for fcp to do subtitle editing etc within fcp or you use i.e. jubler and then import file etc.
what format you choose as final for soft or hard subs output for youtube/ web ?

thanks for the info again !

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
I mainly now need urgently to do a subtitle file over an interview and as i dont use i.e leopard anymore, i thought that
together with the startup ssd would be fcpx in terms of working with ie max 20min movies or other editing. not very big

what devices would you recommend to use with this old laptop to access my (at the moment) internal sata 250gb hdd,
when it will be an external one ...

Do you have any specific plugin for fcp to do subtitle editing etc within fcp or you use i.e. jubler and then import file etc.

thanks for the info again !
Sorry,
I don't work with subs. Maybe someone els can help you whit that.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland

Hi there again :)
First of all - you don't need FCPX for this task. iMovie will do (and it's already on the computer free of charge). Both iMovie and FCPX are quite similar in regards to basic subtitling (read: fairly cumbersome) but they will do. Just select a subtitle with transparent background, type your text, adjust the timing by dragging the subtitle bubble back and forth on the timeline and expanding/contracting it using the right edge of the bubble, repeat with next sentence.
I think it would be faster and a more effective process than creating a softsub file with Jubler (that's even more cumbersome) and then muxing it with the actual video file with mp4tools or mkvtools. Why use a lot of applications when you can achieve a fairly similar result with one you already got? Give iMovie a try, Basil.

Oh, and to access a laptop as an external device (in target disk mode, holding T while powering on and waiting until it displays the firewire logo) for the Mac Pro, you need a FireWire800 cable between both computers, nothing more. The SSD of the laptop will appear as an external disk on the big rig Pro.

As always, my kindest regards,

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
If you want to use FCP for the subtitles, there are some nice plugins out there, if it's something you do a lot. They significantly reduce the time required to create the subtitles compared to the more manual method of using titles. Haven't really used more than trial versions though.
Look for Subtitles in FxFactory

Reactions: basilt

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I use a 1,1 for editing in FCPX and also have FCS3 installed (for the odd bit of DVD Studio Pro). I have El Capitan on mine, it's very easy to install if you have access to another mac. Graphics card is apple 5770 and boot drive is an SSD.

FCPX generally works fine, for more complex projects I use the Proxy setting. Machine has paid for its self many times over.

basilt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Hello again to all thanks for the replies back guys !

hwojtek ! long time since i last heard of your news ! Thanks for the macpro advise which was setup and run really
smooth with your support. I left the country and moved due to job in another one... and i have only this secondhand
macbook 6.1 late 2009, and i try to fix it to do the subtitles... at a start.

ok i see... there is imovie, which never touched before... i will try to give it a go.
I prefer though FCP tools that can be used inside the application for this and give quality, because,
one of the small movies, which has been ready for Ytube, without subs, is a TV show and i have
to add the subs there too, and want quality in this tv movie.

so what would you suggest ? Just came in my mind... can i install DVD SP in this macbook and maybe,
might have subtitles and possibly i can export subs and video in one file (hard subs) ?

As i have no macpro and the macbook is left alone, ready to format as soon as i get the SSD in my hands,
how would you advise to proceed with, type of formating and what operating version ? FCP to edit some max.
20-30 min movies and some subs from time to time and photoshop apps... but non-video would not be a problem.

Do you agree FCP 7 on the new OSX or FCPX. mac is 13" if i remember right and i will try to push ram to 8gb max.

I downloaded these free tools that allow bootable usb's with OSX and try to install from them soon after i download possibly high sierra, i still gather opinions in this forum...

all welcome to post. thanks again ! hej do !
[doublepost=1512239639][/doublepost]
If you want to use FCP for the subtitles, there are some nice plugins out there, if it's something you do a lot. They significantly reduce the time required to create the subtitles compared to the more manual method of using titles. Haven't really used more than trial versions though.
Look for Subtitles in FxFactory

casperes thanks for the tip, will be investigated also !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.