Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
"imperceptible" does depend on memory use pattern by apps. It can be heavy performance hit. It can get even to incompressible. it all depends on what and how is used on computer. It is not a silver bullet. One of the most valid use-cases (and I suspect aim of this feature) is a browsing with 50 open tabs ). For that it work nice! Till it encounters few web-sites/tabs which developers coded with brain off :)

Oh, I agree - it all comes to usage cases.

I have been an active, I'd even say heavy Mac user for years, with multiple large Photoshop projects, a lot of small apps, a lot of notes apps with bunch of images for reference and a lot of websites open - I never felt like 16Gb was not enough. Even in my iMac which I could've easily upgraded to 32, I never felt the need to do so. I also worked in Zbrush a lot, and it was the same. This is why when I see these "I got 32Gb because I have a lot of tabs" posts, I scratch my head.

Now, of course, there are so many usage cases - like running a lot of VMs, music production, app development, science simulations, etc. that are vastly different - so I don't know about that and I keep repeating: there are certainly valid reasons to go for 32, 64, 128, 512, etc gigabytes of RAM. But it's not "because I open a lot of tabs, lol".

What I can tell you - that while you may need more than 16Gb RAM for your project, you don't need it to have a smooth running computer and for some reason a lot of people vastly overestimate their needs. Of course, there are professionals out there who know exactly how much they need, or simply don't care (as I said, "just max out new hardware every few years and don't think about it" is a good strategy, too - if you can cover your expenses with your work quickly).

Anyway, it is true - this really depends on your usage. And look, if you feel like getting a bunch of RAM even if you don't need it - that's perfectly fine.

Last edited:

ASX

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2021
It's old Comet Lake based 14 nm cpu and ssd is not pcie gen4. The dram frequency and timings are? Use cpu-z.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Whatever. It was still a $3k machine not much more than a year ago. I've had the equivalent version of this laptop ongoing about every 3 years for the past two decades. Windows is always a dog when it comes to what suits my workflow.

ASX

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2021
It's not the newest. Icelake (10 nm super fin) was this thime the newest. Cometlake (14 nm) is tech from 2020. Problem with 14 nm is the high power consumption and the heat. The clock speed is significantly lower.

Apple switched because of this problems to M1. They didn't expect Intel will rise again. Big mistake. Now they have a niche cpu for niche apps.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
My biggest problem with modern Apple computers in general is, that you cannot change/replace (just for fun: swap out) the SSDs. If it dies, it dies, especially in the case of the Apple Silicon Mac, that becomes practically bricked...

ASX

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2021
The only reason for unswappable ssds is the apples rip off strategy. Pcie gen 4 x4 4.0 ssds are much faster than apples soldered ssds.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
It's not the newest. Icelake (10 nm super fin) was this thime the newest. Cometlake (14 nm) is tech from 2020. Problem with 14 nm is the high power consumption and the heat. The clock speed is significantly lower.

Apple switched because of this problems to M1. They don't expect Intel will rise again. Big mistake. Now they have a niche cpu for niche apps.
Who said anything about the newest?

The problems I have with Windows won't be fixed by yet another incremental boost in CPU/disk/ram performance.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
the SSDs. If it dies, it dies, especially in the case of the Apple Silicon Mac, that becomes practically bricked...
If one is deligent follower of Apple then that person must possess all the regalias - like 2-4TB iCloud with sync.
Personally i am not using that way, but it is designed/supposed to be used by all the extra paid add-ons.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
If one is deligent follower of Apple then that person must possess all the regalias - like 2-4TB iCloud with sync.
Personally i am not using that way, but it is designed/supposed to be used by all the extra paid add-ons.
Or, you know, a local backup. No one has to pay Apple unless they have an unending urge to.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Or, you know, a local backup. No one has to pay Apple unless they have an unending urge to.
True. But you are restricted to whatever old backup you made in the past(usual case). Or you are expensive NAS customer (rare case). Not so equal to Win - if win dies, then you can take out ssd and have all the latest files.
So closest analogy on MacOS is some sort of paid cloud sync/backup or to have NAS, neither of which is free.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
True. But you are restricted to whatever old backup you made in the past(usual case). Or you are expensive NAS customer (rare case). Not so equal to Win - if win dies, then you can take out ssd and have all the latest files.
So closest analogy on MacOS is some sort of paid cloud sync/backup or to have NAS, neither of which is free.
The other poster said if the SSD dies, not if the OS dies. If the OS dies, in both cases the SSD is fine and you reinstall. If the SSD dies you don’t have any files either way.

And, with Time Machine on macOS, backing up is as simple as connecting the drive. So, it’s very likely that anyone that wants to keep a current backup, has a current backup.

ASX

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2021
Cloud storage is not fast enough. You need 10 gbit/s internet for uploading huge files without pain.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
You should try before advising that for that kind of workflow 8gb of ram are enough.

I, with my own eyes, can see slowness on a 16gb M1 Mini. Which I need to use 8 straight hour a day, 5 day a week.
And I can assure you that the slowness appears after a couple of hours of usage, not instantly. The more the system needs to store and compress pages of memory and the more slow became.

Of course, I can get the job done even with this constrain.
That M1 mini is leased from my work company, I have got for free.
If I plan to spend 3050€ on a personal 16” I prefer to spend 3500€ and get a comfortable amount of ram, and not deal with slowness.

People can draw optimistic conclusions watching a youtube testing these machine for less than an hour, but real world is different.

No one is saying 16GB is enough for everyone.

But do show us what kind of applications you are using and some screen shots from Activity Monitor.

ASX

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2021
If here are users who dont know what slowniness is, it's irrelevant which application is exceeding the ram.

I would like to see what this users were thinking about M1 Pro/Max, when they used Intels 12900K combined with fast ram in gear 1 mode and pcie gen4 ssd :D.

"This M1 is so slow, i won't use it again."

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
I purchased the 16" with 16 gig and it is incredibly slow with just Lightroom. The memory is maxed out and using 5 gig of swat. That's just Lightroom. I am retuning mine and getting the 32 gig. So yea it will save this person from having to return it.

Lightroom is known to be a memory hog for almost all of its operations on the Mac and can probably make use of 64Gb of RAM for some of its operations. Lightroom is also not a good program on the Mac.

Most user's of Lightroom should know this and buy accordingly.

ASX

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2021
Everything which is not for arm is not good for it. So nearly everything.

The software has not to be made for the mac, the mac has to be made for the software. Apple dont understand that they are not the middle of the world.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
But im still thinking why windows 11 is using much less ram for more work than mac os 12.X.X. So i have to decide. Which is better. Mac OS or Windows. If there is a new cpu out there, its going into my consideration.

Having free RAM is bad. If your Windows computers have lots of free RAM available, something is wrong, either with Windows, it's applications or you just have way too much RAM.

ASX

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2021
Its well programmed. Mac OS is slow. It's no benefit to have no free ram. I have seen a lot systems (every hardware upgrade and Windows version since 2002) i know what im talking about.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
"imperceptible" does depend on memory use pattern by apps. It can be heavy performance hit. It can get even to incompressible. it all depends on what and how is used on computer. It is not a silver bullet. One of the most valid use-cases (and I suspect aim of this feature) is a browsing with 50 open tabs ). For that it work nice! Till it encounters few web-sites/tabs which developers coded with brain off :)

It is exactly in the many tab in browser-scenario where you don't need that much memory since memory compression and swap is so effective in dealing with massive memory usage. The reason is that you can't look at 50 web pages at once and so 45 of them could be "paused" and put into compressed memory or swap.

Also if you are using Safari it will warn you about high memory usage in tabs.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Define fast? If it's not instant you are wrong. The mac book pro 2021 has to much delay when its near the maximum ram capacity. Is this fast for you?

My 12900K is instant. This is fast. I opened a few apps. It's so fast i could only dream of when using m1 pro/max.

The memory compression and decompression is essentially free as in you has a human don't notice the short time it takes to decompress the memory.

AFAIK, the memory compression in macOS is using the WKDM algorithm and you can see the source code here: https://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-2422.110.17/libkern/kxld/WKdmDecompress.c.auto.html

As you can see there is only two fast while loops.

ASX

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2021
I notice the delay and the slow down. If its swapping files onto the slow ssd, the delay is massive.

400 US Dollar is nothing in addition compared with 2200 - 3000 Dollar base price. I would never risk the system performance for this low financial saving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jára Tyky
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.