Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
If Microsoft will force developers by end of 2025 all of their apps to be fully supported on arm architecture then windows on arm become more relevant than ever and an idea of starting the end for x86 support...so Microsoft being roped with x86 legacy is on Microsoft graveyard , until then players like bobcomer can trigger some subjectively reasons here. But until then devices with arm windows like surface pro x and some others are kind of DOA for professionals

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
I would say 5-10 years. Projections say it will be 4 to 1 in 2025.
I agree but what is desktop? a mac mini nowadays is considered by many mobile device , a mac studio also
on the other-side an 17-18" 6 pounds workstation laptop can be considered desktop on battery to last you 1 hour

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I agree but what is desktop? a mac mini nowadays is considered by many mobile device , a mac studio also
on the other-side an 17-18" 6 pounds workstation laptop can be considered desktop on battery to last you 1 hour

I primarily mean desktop towers used for personal computing purposes. Stationary office computers like the Mini or NUCs will likely stay around, they are cheap and flexible for that niche. The entire market is likely to change significantly anyway. But the important part is that I believe the market for big power hungry desktop CPUs is shrinking and that before long they will survive only in servers and specialized workstations.

The primary market that drives these things is PC gaming, and it’s hard to predict what will happen here.

Reactions: dgdosen

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Modern x86 laptops with top CPUs throttle the performance by anywhere between 20-40% while running unplugged.

Dint believe me, check out some benchmarks: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/56783-amd-ryzen-7-6800h-vs-intel-core-i7-12700h/
No, I don't believe you, there's a lot more CPU's than just "top CPUs", some of the intel's aren't bad in the mobile space, though the new 13900T will be a shocker when you can buy it.

i7-12700h is old news...

I have never claimed anything like that. Frankly, I couldn’t care less about the Windows world. I have zero interest in that platform.
No, you didn't but that's why I got in this thread.

I would say 5-10 years. Projections say it will be 4 to 1 in 2025.
Not a chance. I'll still be buying them in 10 years if I'm still working, and if I'm not, the next IT guy will too -- there are machine requirements that demand it.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Doesn’t the ARM exclusive have to expire before Microsoft can do much on ARM?
there was talk early this year or before about the exclusive licence finishing.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I primarily mean desktop towers used for personal computing purposes. Stationary office computers like the Mini or NUCs will likely stay around, they are cheap and flexible for that niche. The entire market is likely to change significantly anyway. But the important part is that I believe the market for big power hungry desktop CPUs is shrinking and that before long they will survive only in servers and specialized workstations.
Okay, we are talking about two different things. Stationary office computers are in my desktop nomenclature, only different in how expandable they are. They can have the top end CPUs and lots of RAM, and that's why I put them there. So keep that in mind when I say desktop. They're not mobile, have no battery, and run off of mains, that's a desktop. We even have more than a few of them, Lenovo "Tiny" desktops.

Full Towers, not so much, there just isn't much of a need, though there will continue to be a need of towers with slots for specialized hardware. They'll be around, but expensive and not home machines. (hobbyists might need them)

I care even less about gaming PC's so they aren't in my desktops. Waste of money and good hardware!

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Doesn’t the ARM exclusive have to expire before Microsoft can do much on ARM?
there was talk early this year or before about the exclusive licence finishing.
It's a Qualcomm exclusive, not ARM, and yes, that has hurt WoA, but I don't think it would have made that much difference if it weren't there. WoA just isn't good enough to compete with intel/AMD PC's.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
If Microsoft will force developers by end of 2025 all of their apps to be fully supported on arm architecture then windows on arm become more relevant than ever and an idea of starting the end for x86 support...so Microsoft being roped with x86 legacy is on Microsoft graveyard , until then players like bobcomer can trigger some subjectively reasons here. But until then devices with arm windows like surface pro x and some others are kind of DOA for professionals
Microsoft wont do that because they know it would kill them. There is a LOT of built up custom code out there and companies don't have the resources to rewrite it for ARM. They would never upgrade in the Windows world again. Might as well rewrite it for Linux.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Mainly because I've also been a Mac owner since the first intel model Mac Mini, and have spent thousands on many different Macs. That doesn't allow me to be interested in Macs and to post on this forum??

For work, yes, it's all Windows, but I do have a life outside of work occasionally too!
So a Bootcamp user. Those days are long gone. Best you can do now is Parallels.

Either way Macs do not serve your primary use case anymore. Best to buy a power inefficient Windows machines instead. ;-)

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
So a Bootcamp user. Those days are long gone. Best you can do now is Parallels.
I've never used Bootcamp, it was always VM's for me, both with Parallels and VMWare.
Either way Macs do not serve your primary use case anymore.
They never have been my primary use machine.

You truly don't think I already own Intel machines too? Got a 10th gen i9 desktop and a Dell XPS-15 sitting right next to my Intel Mac Mini and Mac Studio Max. Got more workable intel and mac machines in other places as well.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I've never used Bootcamp, it was always VM's for me, both with Parallels and VMWare.

They never have been my primary use machine.

You truly don't think I already own Intel machines too? Got a 10th gen i9 desktop and a Dell XPS-15 sitting right next to my Intel Mac Mini and Mac Studio Max. Got more workable intel and mac machines in other places as well.
I think you're spending an extra effort arguing on a Mac rumor forum on your point of view on Windows.

Thus it comes across you gone blown off course.

You work in tech?

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I am happy that Nuvia will enter the Windows 11 on ARM space. It needs the competition to get Intel to innovate rather than provide excuses to delay going to 3nm in 2023.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you're spending an extra effort arguing on a Mac rumor forum on your point of view on Windows.
His opinion is just as important as everyone else's It doesn't matter if he's coming from a windows perspective or not. I actually like what he has to offer.

When a member is respectful, polite, and offers intelligent opinions, I think its a mistake to suggest he (or anyone) should not post here.

Reactions: bobcomer

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I am happy that Nuvia will enter the Windows 11 on ARM space. It needs the competition to get Intel to innovate rather than provide excuses to delay going to 3nm in 2023.
Hopefully they'll also support native Linux as well, it's quite important to everyone that not only Windows 11 will be natively supported.

Reactions: bobcomer

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Hopefully they'll also support native Linux as well, it's quite important to everyone that not only Windows 11 will be natively supported.
It is a given that Linux will be supported. After all at its core it's an Android chip scaled up to a desktop OS.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
No, I don't believe you

I don't know what to tell you then. PC laptops reducing performance on battery is a well know fact that has been widely discussed and documented. Newer power-hungry CPUs only exacerbated this issue. This is not a question of belief, but a hard fact. Kind of difficult to have a constructive conversation with someone who chooses to close their ears.

there's a lot more CPU's than just "top CPUs", some of the intel's aren't bad in the mobile space

Sure, but what are we talking about then? This is about relative merit of x86 CPUs vs Mx series. Something like i5-1240U probably won't throttle on battery, but it's also almost two times slower than M1. If you want to discuss this seriously you have to look at CPUs that perform similarly or better for M2 Pro. Which means top performing mobile x86 CPUs. And those throttle since they need well beyond 50W of power to produce the same performance.

, though the new 13900T will be a shocker when you can buy it.

It's not a mobile CPU and it still consumes 100W for intermediate boosts. It would be interesting to see it in a NUC the size of Mac Mini, but I doubt that it can outperform M2 Pro under similar thermal restrictions. But it's certainly the best effort Intel has shown for a while to make a reasonable CPU, and it shows the limits of their current technology.

Last edited:
Reactions: souko

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Quite curious on how Microsoft and the OEMs will deal with the ARM transition and if they will indeed have battery life.

I can see x86 staying around for gaming and heavy lifting apps.

It is a given that Linux will be supported. After all at its core it's an Android chip scaled up to a desktop OS.
We’ll see it’s Qualcomm after all.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
It's not a mobile CPU and it still consumes 100W for intermediate boosts. It would be interesting to see it in a NUC the size of Mac Mini, but I doubt that it can outperform M2 Pro under similar thermal restrictions. But it's certainly the best effort Intel has shown for a while to make a reasonable CPU, and it shows the limits of their current technology.
You're right on that one, I misremembered just what the T was. Sorry.

As for the rest, I'm tired of arguing.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Quite curious on how Microsoft and the OEMs will deal with the ARM transition and if they will indeed have battery life.
Do you have any evidence that Microsoft and OEMs are dropping Intel/AMD and going 100% to ARM?

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Do you have any evidence that Microsoft and OEMs are dropping Intel/AMD and going 100% to ARM?
Nobody is doing x86, that's simply not happening in the time soon. I wrote it wrong I'm sorry by transition I meant a user base transition from x86 --> ARM for those models that they will sell. I'm curious about they will support it in the future.

I'm part of a corporation who Beta tests ARM computers to deliver to the IT Teams and I have been part of a couple of tests using Qualcomm ARM chips and the 3rd party software is atrocious to say the least.

In the Cloud (which is where I'm hanging 99% of the time) I'm part of an ARM server setup we are testing for general workloads in Azure. (I have a friend who is part of Amazon and is working on graviton and everyone is fighting for the same thing) to deliver good servers with ARM in the near future.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I don't know what to tell you then. PC laptops reducing performance on battery is a well know fact that has been widely discussed and documented. Newer power-hungry CPUs only exacerbated this issue. This is not a question of belief, but a hard fact. Kind of difficult to have a constructive conversation with someone who chooses to close their ears.
Okay, I understand what you're saying now, and you're right. What was tripping me up was the high number for the throttling. If any of my PC's throttled that much on battery only, I would think I would notice the difference, but I don't. Nor have any of my users ever complained about the hit. If you don't feel it, it's not a problem. :)

Like I said, most are plugged in almost all the time, as am I, but when I do go mobile I'm not doing any compute intensive stuff like VM's and such. It's usually just for networking troubleshooting and things like that.

So, sorry I was obstinate, but it really isn't a problem most intel/amd Windows users see, and it certainly doesn't change my mind about their usefulness, nor increase my want of an ARM based Windows PC.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
but it really isn't a problem most intel/amd Windows users see

And that's unfortunately why hardware vendors get away with underhanded marketing strategies and products. You see, if a vendor X advertises certain performance, then I kind of expect to have that performance at my disposal at any time I need it. I can have it with a Mac. I cannot have it with a Windows laptop. Which is why I have no interest in current-gen x86 hardware.

Reactions: souko

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
And that's unfortunately why hardware vendors get away with underhanded marketing strategies and products. You see, if a vendor X advertises certain performance, then I kind of expect to have that performance at my disposal at any time I need it. I can have it with a Mac. I cannot have it with a Windows laptop. Which is why I have no interest in current-gen x86 hardware.
I tend to not pay attention to marketing -- even more lying than politicians! Anyway, that's okay, if it doesn't fit what you want/need, I wouldn't buy it either -- I do the same with Mac's (or WoW) for work, they just don't fulfill the minimum requirement for use. I do use a couple of them at home though. I'm an OS geek, what can I say. I run all of them I can for different things at home...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.