Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Hi,

Could somebody please confirm that all three models (32GB, 128GB and 256GB) have 2GB of RAM?

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Yes, all three iPad 'Pro' devices have a measly 2GB :D

Get the Air 2 if you're looking for a 9.7' tablet and don't need an Apple Pencil.

Get the Pro 12.9 if you're looking for something bigger.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks!

I actually need a proper Stylus/Pensil and i'm currently considering a Surface Pro 4 / Lenovo X1 Tablet instead to complement my old iPad.
If you are going to be using a stylus, the Apple Pencil is really up there for the best quality.

In your case I would recommend the 9.7' Pro, if that's your preferred size (a new one won't come out for a while).

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
If you are going to be using a stylus, the Apple Pencil is really up there for the best quality.

In your case I would recommend the 9.7' Pro, if that's your preferred size.

2GB of RAM simply won't give me enough lifespan I need from an iOS tablet. I don't want to upgrade a device that's more of a luxury than a necessity every 2 years, and I learned it hard way with a 1GB RAM iPad 3 (even though it was a decent amount in 2012 and a very important upgrade over the iPad 2).

As far as styli go, I'm okay with all three aforementioned solutions. They're well beyond in speed and quality from what I need and can perceive.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
2GB of RAM simply won't give me enough lifespan I need from an iOS tablet. I don't want to upgrade a device that's more of a luxury than a necessity every 2 years, and I learned it hard way with a 1GB RAM iPad 3 (even though it was a decent amount in 2012 and a very important upgrade over the iPad 2).

As far as styli go, I'm okay with all three aforementioned solutions. They're well beyond in speed and quality from what I need and can perceive.
Sounds to me that the iPad Pro 12.9' will be the one for you, if you're invested in the Apple ecosystem.

It's more powerful than the 9.7' and will last a lot longer with double the RAM.

A larger canvas is also a good thing!
[doublepost=1458922620][/doublepost]
For most 2GB will be more than enough.
Not for long! It's almost guaranteed that the next 9.7' iPad will have 4GB.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Sounds to me that the iPad Pro 12.9' will be the one for you, if you're invested in the Apple ecosystem.

It's more powerful than the 9.7' and will last a lot longer with double the RAM.

Likely a year. So they should wait a year?

Reactions: TheLondonFella

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Most of the time you can't see the difference today, but in 2 years it'll become apparent. 2GB of RAM is enough but is already a min. requirement for multitasking and heavy applications. Software won't get more efficient in future, so 4GB is the only way to be future proof. Certain upcoming games like GOF3 may benefit from >2GB of RAM as early as this summer.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Most of the time you can't see the difference today, but in 2 years it'll become apparent. 2GB of RAM is enough but is already a min. requirement for multitasking and heavy applications. Software won't get more efficient in future, so 4GB is the only way to be future proof. Certain upcoming games like GOF3 may benefit from >2GB of RAM as early as this summer.
Looks like the 12.9' Pro is for you.

Trust me, you get used to it quick and the Air feels like a toy afterwards!

Reactions: capathy21

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
I was researching the same things. I have a Cintiq 22HD on my PC, and I don't use it that often, and decided the portability of a tablet would be more useful than the size and functions of the 22HD. I'm selling it, and replacing it with the 9.7". I considered a Surface, and checked out the Cintiq companion as well, and after reading reviews and comparisons, settled on the iPad. The RAM is the only thing that is a bit iffy, but even that risk is worth it above the other two.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I think that the iPad 3 had issues other than RAM. After all, it had the same amount of RAM as the next 2 generations that came after it, which is also a reason why I wouldn't simply assume that Apple is moving to 4GB as soon as the next generation. Those who hold out just for that may be disappointed. I remember those who waited for the iPhone 6/6+ assuming that by 2014 Apple simply had to be putting more than 1GB in their phones.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
And if you don't need better cameras or a better screen or a faster processor or graphics also faster LTE and more bands if you elect the LTE version. I love how people try to spin the only difference is Apple Pencil support.
Yes, if you plan on taking photographs with a 10 inch tablet and want a 10% faster processor, be my guest.

And as if you'll notice the 2 more LTE bands, whatever difference that will make. What a joke!

The only noticeable difference IS the Apple Pencil support.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Thanks!

I actually need a proper Stylus/Pensil and I'm currently considering a Surface Pro 4 / Lenovo X1 Tablet instead to complement my old iPad.

I tested the surface and return it the iPad pencil to me it the best
[doublepost=1458925782][/doublepost]
Yes, if you plan on taking photographs with a 10 inch tablet and want a 10% faster processor, be my guest.

And as if you'll notice the 2 more LTE bands, whatever difference that will make. What a joke!

The only noticeable difference IS the Apple Pencil support.
for me I need tablet with pencil to right math

Reactions: SuperKerem

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

Agreed. I enjoy my Air1 and it "works" but its lack of memory does show itself at times. And, lets be realistic here: Does anyone think apps and games will use LESS resources as we go along? No way. This time, Im not buying the low-ram device like I did with the Air 1. Im going to either stay with my Air or if prices and deals keep happening with the 12.9" model I could possibly look that way.

austriak

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2011

I'm not trying to be rude but you speak like you have insider information about the next 9.7' iPad having 4gb of ram or that there will even be a new ipad next year. I actually think it is more likely that the next 9.7 ipad pro still has 2gb of ram and it could go either way whether there is a new ipad next year. Based on ipad and iphone history, Apple is extremely slow at upgrading ram. We also don't know whether Apple is going to continue to treat the big and small ipad pros differently like they do with the iphone and iphone pluses. If the only benefit between the 12.9' and 9.7' becomes screen size, I'm not sure there would be enough demand for the 12.9' ipad pro to make it worth Apple's time. Using the same internals in ipad airs and ipad minis worked out because there was enough demand for each size but 12.9 is so niche that without additional incentives, I don't think it would do well.

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
Well my ipad air only has 1 gb of ram so the pro should be a step forward..Only bottleneck i ever run into is safari page refreshes..600 bucks? Chump Change....

If it ever bottlenecks me I have a 16gb pc in the next room

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008

there's a theme around here of people simultaneously telling people they don't need this or that spec that apple decided to skimp on, and then chastising them for using "ancient" hardware when they are disappointed with performance or feature limitations in a year or two.

just smile and nod. they can't help themselves. :)

for what its worth, i DON'T care about specs for their own sake (or i'd never buy apple in the first place!). i care about experience, and for me its only about trying to make decisions that will retain a quality experience for more than a year. as an iPad 3 owner, i'm intimately familiar with apple hardware that is equipped to run its launch OS great, but was not forward thinking enough to handle evolving software.

its tough for me now, because like the iPad 3 with retina display, the 9.7 pro is the only device that mixes the features (pencil) and form factor i want right now, but i know its not a good future proof decision. :(

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I'm not trying to be rude but you speak like you have insider information about the next 9.7' iPad having 4gb of ram or that there will even be a new ipad next year. I actually think it is more likely that the next 9.7 ipad pro still has 2gb of ram and it could go either way whether there is a new ipad next year. Based on ipad and iphone history, Apple is extremely slow at upgrading ram. We also don't know whether Apple is going to continue to treat the big and small ipad pros differently like they do with the iphone and iphone pluses. If the only benefit between the 12.9' and 9.7' becomes screen size, I'm not sure there would be enough demand for the 12.9' ipad pro to make it worth Apple's time. Using the same internals in ipad airs and ipad minis worked out because there was enough demand for each size but 12.9 is so niche that without additional incentives, I don't think it would do well.
Well, the next 12.9' Pro would have other upgrades that the 9.7' Pro won't.

With all this backlash it would be insane for the next 9.7' Pro to still have 2GB RAM!

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Well, the next 12.9' Pro would have other upgrades that the 9.7' Pro won't.

With all this backlash it would be insane for the next 9.7' Pro to still have 2GB RAM!

I think you'll find that "all this backlash" is actually a rather small minority of enthusiasts. Most of the millions of people buying iPads don't know or don't care that much about specs like RAM. iOS devices only started to move from 1GB in 2014 despite "backlash" from enthusiasts well before that. Apple decides on their own when spec increases are necessary to allow for the user experience that they feel is ideal. As I said before, I would not hold out for the next device solely on the assumption that it will have more RAM. Others have made that mistake in the past. If specs are what matters most, there are already Android tablets with 8 cores and 4GB of RAM... And most of them don't perform notably better than the Air 2.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.