Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
For all of you "Apple is deliberately..." people, please show the Apple hardware designers where they should have put the extra RAM chip:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+Pro+9.7-Inch+Teardown/60939

It's not about hardware engineers. They were asked to design a product with 2GB of RAM and they used appropriate components. It's Apple's marketing bureau which is to blame. If you still wonder though I'd probably replace the Samsung K3RG1G1 with the K3RG2G2 chip currently used in many cellphones and call it a day :D

Any reason why isn't it feasible to put a flagship cellphone's hardware in a high-end 9.7" tablet?

P. S. Nice try though!

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It's Apple's marketing bureau which is to blame. If you still wonder though I'd probably replace the Samsung K3RG1G1 with the K3RG2G2 chip currently used in many cellphones and call it a day :D
Doubt marketing has anything to do with this decision. This is primarily due to the bean counters.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Please do not instruct other posters how to post here unless you are a mod. All have a right to their opinion and it is what makes these forums work so well.
Oh damnnnnn watch out for this guy! Coming out guns blazing

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The beauty of Apple is that every model is exactly the same with the exception of storage and cpu manufacturer. All iPad Pro 9.7 have 2GB RAM

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
iOS manages RAM use impressively well. These Apple devices are powerful and can perform well into 3+ years for most users. Hardware is "chased" more often than "mastery" of software. I gave my 12.9 IPP to my daughter because she draws anime characters and bought the 9.7 IPP for myself. I can make better use of the 9.7 IPP size. That 12.9 IPP is a big sheet of glass to carry around and I'm thinking about getting a Thule hard case for it. 4GB of RAM and USB 3 port speed are certainly desired, but I'm not "pushing" specifications to the limits. I chose the 128GB storage size and will use iCloud if more storage need.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
The beauty of Apple is that every model is exactly the same with the exception of storage and cpu manufacturer. All iPad Pro 9.7 have 2GB RAM

*Scene in an Apple Store*
Shopper:I'd like to take a look at the iPad Pro I've been seeing on TV
Sales Drone:Sure, we have two sizes 9" or 12"
Shopper:What are the differences?
Sales Drone:Other than size and weight, the 9" has an updated Screen and Camera
Shopper: Is that it?
Sales Drone:*WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT RAM!!* * WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT RAM!!*
Sales Drone:Yep, that's it

Pfft!

** Added an apostrophe, to calm down the internet punctuation police, even though they ignored my counterpoint to hovscorpion12**

Last edited:

upritbass

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Vegas!
*Actual scene in Apple store*
Shopper:I'd like to take a look at the iPad Pro Ive (sp) been seeing on TV.
Sales Drone:Sure, what do you want to use it for?
Writer [to self] Darn! Now how can I make a joke about the RAM?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.