Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Do you also get free SMS/MMS when you message someone abroad?
If you mean message someone that's in another country, yes. Unlimited international texting is common.

Apple doesn't make products just to cater to the US so it wouldn't be a good reason not to include the option, but perhaps a reason for the apparent oversight.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Don’t forget your friends have to be using a client on their Android phone that actually supports RCS.

I was surprised to find many of my Android contacts using SMS apps other than Google Messages. Turns out a lot of third party clients just don’t support it.

All Android devices have Google Messages installed. On Android you can set the default messaging service and while GM is available, many elect to go with the OEM messages or a 3rd party.

Reactions: Premium1

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
All Android devices have Google Messages installed.
False. Just checked. No Google Messages on my wife’s Fire tablet or my FiiO MP3 player.

Now for phones, there are still some imports that don’t have Google Play Store. There are also some versions of Android that specifically de-Google the OS. And there are probably older devices that won’t run the current Google Messages and are stuck on an OEM or carrier-provided messaging option. It’s not a lot of phones, but you may run into some people who are super high tech or super low tech that don’t have access to Google Messages.

• Haha

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
False. Just checked. No Google Messages on my wife’s Fire tablet or my FiiO MP3 player.

Now for phones, there are still some imports that don’t have Google Play Store. There are also some versions of Android that specifically de-Google the OS. And there are probably older devices that won’t run the current Google Messages and are stuck on an OEM or carrier-provided messaging option. It’s not a lot of phones, but you may run into some people who are super high tech or super low tech that don’t have access to Google Messages.

My fault for assuming we were discussing smartphones. Oops.

I test Android devices (hobby/work) and the several I tested for 2023/2024 all came with Google Messages installed including a couple of Chinese devices. Let’s call it “most” Android smartphones come with Google Messages installed. It is also available from the GP store.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Google voice doesn't support RCS.
I'm shocked, being that Google was so adamant that Apple adopt RCS and stop using such an antiquated messaging protocol.... But they don't add it to one of their most popular messaging apps?

WarmWinterHat

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2015
I'm shocked, being that Google was so adamant that Apple adopt RCS and stop using such an antiquated messaging protocol.... But they don't add it to one of their most popular messaging apps?

I think Google has all but quit developing or updating Google Voice.

jhuynh

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Is anyone seeing duplicate messages being sent? I've been testing it to a Sumsung S24 and they keep receiving my messsages twice on their end like 5-10 minutes apart.

Reactions: acroyle

r-k-f

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
Stade, Germany
RCS from Telekom Germany to Telekom Germany is working BUT on the Android device most of the messages sent from my iPhone appears twice.
Had the same problem - maybe it’s depending from the Android device? In my case on the opposite side was a Samsung S24 Ultra.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Had the same problem - maybe it’s depending from the Android device? In my case on the opposite side was a Samsung S24 Ultra.
Duplicate messages on a Samsung device happens with the Samsung Messenger and also with the Google Chat App.

Last edited:

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
UK Three?
Nope.

IMG_5388.jpeg

IMG_5389.jpeg

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
My RCS deactivated today and won’t turn back on
Can‘t reproduce, still works here
Still nothing in the o2 UK
Todays release was merely a rerelease with potential bug fixes, so it‘s very unlikely they updated any carrier profiles. Your best bet is Beta 4, since they added loads of new supported carriers in Beta 3 (I assume they add a few more with B4).

mozzamobile

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2024

Todays release was merely a rerelease with potential bug fixes, so it‘s very unlikely they updated any carrier profiles. Your best bet is Beta 4, since they added loads of new supported carriers in Beta 3 (I assume they add a few more with B4).

Totally agree... and to be honest not sure we are missing much..

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014

Especially since they just released it Public Beta 1.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Totally agree... and to be honest not sure we are missing much..
Depends on whether your country / social circle is iMessage / SMS territory. My US friends are having a field day with their social circle now with most of them hopping on iOS 18 just to upgrade their group chats.

Meanwhile I‘m texting 2 people exclusively on RCS, while the other ones are telling me to „go WhatsApp, SMS costs money man“ 😂

Nevertheless, I am phasing out WhatsApp in favor of iMessage / RCS. Even when it means being left out of group chats that are exclusively on WhatsApp (my countries main texting platform).

Reactions: dk001 and 68000/030
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.