Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
Looks like RCS messages syncs between devices, just like iMessages.

Also looks like some folks gets RCS and some folks don’t. But I know at least three people carrying Google Pixel, but I can’t send RCS to them.

r-k-f

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
Stade, Germany
... Also looks like some folks gets RCS and some folks don’t. But I know at least three people carrying Google Pixel, but I can’t send RCS to them.
I, on the other hand, know three people using Google Pixels of different kind, which receive my RCS messages - my guess is that this is a provider thing (presumed RCS is enabled in Pixel´s settings at all).

Reactions: dk001

68000/030

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2023
Oh ffs apple, all my friends' android phones have this working regardless of carrier, yet here we are on our precious iphones waiting for apple to kindly unlock it carrier by carrier for some strange reason.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
I, on the other hand, know three people using Google Pixels of different kind, which receive my RCS messages - my guess is that this is a provider thing (presumed RCS is enabled in Pixel´s settings at all).

I am not sure about this though. I can send RCS message to them on Android, meaning they received RCS message, but iOS can’t send RCS to them.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
I am not sure about this though. I can send RCS message to them on Android, meaning they received RCS message, but iOS can’t send RCS to them.

Tested again. The RCS enabled Android will need to send RCS message to iPhone, then RCS will be send from iPhone.

Last edited:

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Oh ffs apple, all my friends' android phones have this working regardless of carrier, yet here we are on our precious iphones waiting for apple to kindly unlock it carrier by carrier for some strange reason.

This is intentional. Apple is using the carrier implementation where available and tough luck where it isn't. Google is kind enough to offer an alternative if the carrier does not offer RCS.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany

Also looks like some folks gets RCS and some folks don’t. But I know at least three people carrying Google Pixel, but I can’t send RCS to them.
Yep can confirm that syncing (also sending from e.g. iPads) works flawlessly. It was to be expected since they use the existing text message syncing framework via Messages in iCloud.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009

Very likely they have RCS off in their Google Messages app OR they have chosen to use a different app that does not utilize RCS.

Reactions: HouseLannister

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
This is intentional. Apple is using the carrier implementation where available and tough luck where it isn't. Google is kind enough to offer an alternative if the carrier does not offer RCS.

It is not Apple's interest to implement RCS in first place, they were forced by either China or EU. They they just do whatever bar minimum they can.

It is in Google's interest however, to get as many devices on RCS. There is no universal messaging application across Android and Google has tried many different combination of messaging apps without success. So RCS is their last efforts and they have every reasons under the sun to make it work. RCS is probably Google's best chance to get universal messaging cross Android and iOS (this also explains why Google was trying pushing so hard on Apple to get RCS).

gphome

macrumors member
May 15, 2024
I spoke to someone in a Apple Store about this last week here in the UK, their understanding was that RCS was a North America feature only, like the satellite messaging.

If you don't live in North america it is becoming increasingly important to judge iPhone products on what is specifically available in your region, they don't seem to push for globalised features as much as Google and Samsung.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

r-k-f

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
Stade, Germany
I spoke to someone in a Apple Store about this last week here in the UK, their understanding was that RCS was a North America feature only, like the satellite messaging. ...
It's definitely a region based implementation and works for some time now e.g. for iPhones in Germany for a few providers. Can't speek for UK based iPhones, but at least UK based Pixels receive my RCS messages.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I spoke to someone in a Apple Store about this last week here in the UK, their understanding was that RCS was a North America feature only, like the satellite messaging.

If you don't live in North america it is becoming increasingly important to judge iPhone products on what is specifically available in your region, they don't seem to push for globalised features as much as Google and Samsung.

This guy was clearly misinformed. Satellite isn’t North America only, and in fact the UK is one of the supported countries, so he doesn’t even know what’s available on the market he’s selling to: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/101573

gphome

macrumors member
May 15, 2024
This guy was clearly misinformed. Satellite isn’t North America only, and in fact the UK is one of the supported countries, so he doesn’t even know what’s available on the market he’s selling to: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/101573

I was referring to satellite based messaging (as we are talking about RCS), I think you are referring to Satellite SOS calling. the U.S will get the ability to iMessage without a network signal with ios18 utilising satellites, no plans for UK release

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
I was referring to satellite based messaging (as we are talking about RCS), I think you are referring to Satellite SOS calling. the U.S will get the ability to iMessage without a network signal with ios18 utilising satellites, no plans for UK release

It is definitely not North America only. China requires RCS to be enabled on all new smartphone sold in 2024. Therefore, I don’t think this is North American thing only.

gphome

macrumors member
May 15, 2024
It is definitely not North America only. China requires RCS to be enabled on all new smartphone sold in 2024. Therefore, I don’t think this is North American thing only.
In my post above, I am talking about the ability to iMessage using satellites when you don't have a network signal, that is North america only

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
It is not Apple's interest to implement RCS in first place, they were forced by either China or EU. They they just do whatever bar minimum they can.

I've said it before and will say it again. One would think that Apple would be interested in making the iPhone be the best Phone, the best and most capable communication device, that they can make. Unfortunately for us, Apple has no interest in making the best product they can make.

Remember the fanfare when they added MMS support to the iPhone? Would Apple in 2024 do that without being forced to by a government?

Reactions: dk001 and TimFL1

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
There was/is a definite disconnect at Apple where they thought RCS was something only Android users wanted and didn't realize that those of us who get texts from Android users would benefit from this as well. Hopefully the constant mocking they have taken over the "buy your mom an iphone" comment gets them to open their eyes a bit. There is already reporting that images sent via Apple phones using RCS are better quality than ones sent using Google Messages. Apple is doing a good job with the implementation, they are just very, very late to the party.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
Will probably sound stupid here but is there an advantage to reason to use RCS?

At least for me, I can text my wife, supervisors, friends or client with Android easier. Send/read receipt, higher quality images, reaction aren’t suck anymore etc.

But. In order to send RCS message to Android, first message will be SMS, then you have to wait other side to reply. Only then, iOS will switch to RCS.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
IMG_0043.jpeg

Why is reaction still not working?

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
"for some strange reason"

Because it's being released as part of a beta software and they are probably rolling it out slowly for some reason unknown to consumers... It's really not that strange...

I sware no matter how many times you remind people that they are using a beta and a lot of things won't be fully working yet, they still choose to complain.. unreal

Reactions: HouseLannister

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
At least for me, I can text my wife, supervisors, friends or client with Android easier. Send/read receipt, higher quality images, reaction aren’t suck anymore etc.

But. In order to send RCS message to Android, first message will be SMS, then you have to wait other side to reply. Only then, iOS will switch to RCS.
That‘s false. RCS works right away here for new conversations and existing ones (if yours is stuck at SMS, try opening the new conversation composer and enter your contact there, it should trigger iMessage / RCS presence checks and unblock your conversation).

View attachment 2397837

Why is reaction still not working?
Reactions have only been officially added to the Universal Profile Version 2.7 (adds reactions, inline replies and edit messages / undo send to the spec), which was finalized last month.
For reference, Apple uses Version 2.4 from 2019.

If reactions sometimes work for you it‘s simply Apples Messages app parsing the incoming message from your screenshot as a reaction (same goes for the Google Messages app, it‘s just plaintext being sent with an emoji for both under the hood). Your screenshots reaction text obviously can‘t be parsed cause you can‘t map it to a text (since it‘s an image and not a plaintext you can look up in the conversation).

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.