Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX
Does anyone know if AT&T and Apple are going to implement something in official release that doesn’t use or touch base with Jibe directly with phone? Or if not what kind of fingerprinting info will jibe/google receive in process - like ip address, location, and so on (even though I don’t think end2end encryption is available yet I am not talking about contents of texts here). My phone was contacting jibe multiple times a day even though I had never received or sent a RCS text/message. I realize it needs to touch base every so often, but I am hoping that is done with ATT and/or Apple in the future before jibe gets involved to offer some privacy protection in what google receives about my device (s) multiple times a day regardless of actual sending or receiving a RCS text.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Does anyone know if AT&T and Apple are going to implement something in official release that doesn’t use or touch base with Jibe directly with phone? Or if not what kind of fingerprinting info will jibe/google receive in process - like ip address, location, and so on (even though I don’t think end2end encryption is available yet I am not talking about contents of texts here). My phone was contacting jibe multiple times a day even though I had never received or sent a RCS text/message. I realize it needs to touch base every so often, but I am hoping that is done with ATT and/or Apple in the future before jibe gets involved to offer some privacy protection in what google receives about my device (s) multiple times a day regardless of actual sending or receiving a RCS text.
I think there is zero chance that any carrier implements a hub of their own and sub-zero chance for Apple to provide a Jibe counterpart when they want people to use iMessage.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Toggle is now showing for Rogers (Canada). However, not sure how to test it.
Could take a while to register properly. You can test it by opening the new message composer and entering a contact that is RCS enabled (e.g. Android user).
If it shows "Text Message - RCS" in the input box, it‘s RCS.

Reactions: outlawarth

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Could take a while to register properly. You can test it by opening the new message composer and entering a contact that is RCS enabled (e.g. Android user).
If it shows "Text Message - RCS" in the input box, it‘s RCS.
Yes, I have RCS toggle on (did not have on Beta 3), when I try to text my RCS/Android friend it shows "Text Message - SMS".

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Yes, I have RCS toggle on (did not have on Beta 3), when I try to text my RCS/Android friend it shows "Text Message - SMS".
A few things you can try:
- Go off wifi so you use data
- Reboot your phone
- Force quit Messages
- If all hell breaks loose, toggle RCS on/off (probably would just stop here before toggling off and wait for it to register on its own)

Reactions: outlawarth

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles

Here's the Privacy info for Google Messages, which is the frontend for RCS on Android. It breaks down what data is collected and what for. You will have to contact AT&T to see if their privacy policies differ. If, for whatever reason you don't want to touch a Google domain, here are the sparknotes;

Google uses information like your phone number, device identifiers, and SIM card number. This is used to ensure that you can send and receive RCS messages. This data is stored for roughly 30 days so that if you're briefly offline, you're not unenrolled from RCS.

Your location is only collected if you decide to share your location with whoever it is you are messaging. That message is deleted from the server as soon as it reaches the intended recipient. If the intended recipient is offline, it is stored until it can be delivered while presenting the sender the option to send as SMS/MMS. If the message falls back to SMS/MMS, the sender sends a command to the RCS server to delete the message.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I think there is zero chance that any carrier implements a hub of their own and sub-zero chance for Apple to provide a Jibe counterpart when they want people to use iMessage.

Folks forget why RCS is currently running the Google variant: the Carriers couldn’t agree on the time of day let alone a central hub. Now they all run Google’s version.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Folks forget why RCS is currently running the Google variant: the Carriers couldn’t agree on the time of day let alone a central hub. Now they all run Google’s version.
Yeah, I‘m not against Jibe being the central service everyone uses. I remember the world we had before that with crap interoperability due to carriers pushing stupid hubs.

Reactions: dk001

CrisiomiroX

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2024
UK
Though it doesn’t seem to work on EE. If I understand correctly, the carrier IMS Status should include RCS. It doesn’t for me, and I can’t send RCS to Android contacts, just SMS.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Though it doesn’t seem to work on EE. If I understand correctly, the carrier IMS Status should include RCS. It doesn’t for me, and I can’t send RCS to Android contacts, just SMS.
It takes a while to activate. You could try cycling mobile data / wifi and opening a few RCS enabled contacts via the new message composer to see if it activates.

Took me roughly 30 minutes to get it to work on B3.

Simon89

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2015
Yorkshire, UK
I wonder how it’ll work as I have EE for my work sim in my iPhone and have a shortcut which turns it on and off each day - if it’ll mess the RCS up

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I wonder how it’ll work as I have EE for my work sim in my iPhone and have a shortcut which turns it on and off each day - if it’ll mess the RCS up
From experience, RCS reconnects pretty good when you turn off sims or they go offline for a period of time.

The only real enemy seems to be wireless CarPlay, that annihilates your RCS presence.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
For anyone with the toggle but no IMS status / RCS not working: it takes time to register you, it‘ll eventually go through. Until then all you can do is trigger presence checks (e.g. composing a new message to a contact you know is RCS enabled to see if it shows up).
That is correct! Showed up for me with EE about 4-5 hours later

rgeiger97

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2019
Indiana
I turned off the RCS toggle and restarted my phone. I turned the toggle back on and my Xfinity Mobile line shows RCS under IMS Status but Mint does not.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
For anyone with the toggle but no IMS status / RCS not working: it takes time to register you, it‘ll eventually go through. Until then all you can do is trigger presence checks (e.g. composing a new message to a contact you know is RCS enabled to see if it shows up).
This is exactly how it happened. RCS working now on Rogers in Canada. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.