Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I am sadly encountering an issue where RCS stops working a few seconds into opening a conversation (can barely manage to finish sending a message). Only a reboot reenables RCS again for a few seconds. Hope it‘s only a temporary hiccup and no lasting B4 issue.

//EDIT: Could pinpoint it, RCS stops working while on wifi… can literally toggle it off by connecting to wifi and when I turn off wifi / disconnect from my network it pops up again. Can anyone confirm? Hope it‘s just work wifi messing with things.

In case anyone can reproduce, please report it via the Feedback app so it gets attention (my ID is FB14462627 with a reproduction video)

//EDIT 2: Did some tests with my co-worker and can confirm, that this is indeed bricking RCS. Verified with 3 wifi networks (RCS disconnects) and their mobile hotspot (RCS continues to function). All their RCS messages popped up once I got off wifi, so nothing is lost at least… although I don‘t know how long your RCS presence is registered for with that bug (e.g. does it start to boot your RCS status from your number if you stay on wifi for too long).

Anyways, I don‘t seem to be the only one with this issue (someone from the Apple Subreddit Discord can reproduce and also submitted feedback).

Last edited:

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
EE has registered properly onto RCS now.

IMG_5172.jpeg

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
I am sadly encountering an issue where RCS stops working a few seconds into opening a conversation (can barely manage to finish sending a message). Only a reboot reenables RCS again for a few seconds. Hope it‘s only a temporary hiccup and no lasting B4 issue.

//EDIT: Could pinpoint it, RCS stops working while on wifi… can literally toggle it off by connecting to wifi and when I turn off wifi / disconnect from my network it pops up again. Can anyone confirm? Hope it‘s just work wifi messing with things.

In case anyone can reproduce, please report it via the Feedback app so it gets attention (my ID is FB14462627 with a reproduction video)

//EDIT 2: Did some tests with my co-worker and can confirm, that this is indeed bricking RCS. Verified with 3 wifi networks (RCS disconnects) and their mobile hotspot (RCS continues to function). All their RCS messages popped up once I got off wifi, so nothing is lost at least… although I don‘t know how long your RCS presence is registered for with that bug (e.g. does it start to boot your RCS status from your number if you stay on wifi for too long).

Anyways, I don‘t seem to be the only one with this issue (someone from the Apple Subreddit Discord can reproduce and also submitted feedback).

I can send RCS message on Wi-Fi on Beta 4. Just tested with Koodo on iPhone 12 Pro.

But if you have weak Wi-Fi connection, or if you connect to corporate Wi-Fi or Public Wi-Fi, then I have encountered RCS message not send issue. This is probably due to corporate Wi-Fi block messages, or your Wi-Fi session has expired.

Reactions: TimFL1

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I can send RCS message on Wi-Fi on Beta 4. Just tested with Koodo on iPhone 12 Pro.

But if you have weak Wi-Fi connection, or if you connect to corporate Wi-Fi or Public Wi-Fi, then I have encountered RCS message not send issue. This is probably due to corporate Wi-Fi block messages, or your Wi-Fi session has expired.
It is corporate wifi. The funny thing is, it only started today with Beta 4. Used RCS on corporate wifi all throughout Beta 3 without any hiccups.

I checked in with our IT and they confirmed that there were no updates to their firewall rules etc (exact same state as yesterday and the week before).

I assume this is somehow tied to the other issue I‘m having, where RCS stops working on wireless CarPlay (which to my surprise was updated in the Feedback app with "more than 10 reports" so it seems to be under investigation).

mactracker

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Cambridge, MA
For anyone with the toggle but no IMS status / RCS not working: it takes time to register you, it‘ll eventually go through. Until then all you can do is trigger presence checks (e.g. composing a new message to a contact you know is RCS enabled to see if it shows up).
If it’s still not working for anyone, try using Proxyman to intercept the requests iPhone makes to jibecloud and change the terminal_sw_version=iOS-Apple parameter to terminal_sw_version=iOS. RCS registration requests were failing for me with 503 - Service Unavailable before making the change.

Here's a guide on how to do this: https://proxyman.io/posts/2019-09-1...ept-and-edit-request-response-on-iOS-app.html

Hopefully they fixed this server-side by now.

edit: these RCS registration errors were showing up when registering on a T-Mobile number for me after updating to DB4. RCS worked fine on DB2 and DB3.

Last edited:

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
It is corporate wifi. The funny thing is, it only started today with Beta 4. Used RCS on corporate wifi all throughout Beta 3 without any hiccups.

I checked in with our IT and they confirmed that there were no updates to their firewall rules etc (exact same state as yesterday and the week before).

I assume this is somehow tied to the other issue I‘m having, where RCS stops working on wireless CarPlay (which to my surprise was updated in the Feedback app with "more than 10 reports" so it seems to be under investigation).

If it is corporate Wi-Fi, ask them if there is a time limit for one connection session.

My corporate Wi-Fi will have time limit on devices that not belong to the corpotate, meaning personal devices. If devices reaches time limit, there will be no connection, then RCS will not send or receive. I wi need to turn off Wi-Fi and reconnect to get RCS working (or on ceullar network).

There is one more thing with RCS group chat:

1) In order to have RCS group chat, everyone in the group will need to have RCS enabled devices and services. Otherwise whole group will be under SMS and MMS.

2) In line relies will work on Google Messages (On Android), but will not show up on iOS side. Google Message will display replies.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
If it’s still not working for anyone, try using Proxyman to intercept the requests iPhone makes to jibecloud and change the terminal_sw_version=iOS-Apple parameter to terminal_sw_version=iOS. RCS registration requests were failing for me with 503 - Service Unavailable before making the change.

Here's a guide on how to do this: https://proxyman.io/posts/2019-09-1...ept-and-edit-request-response-on-iOS-app.html

Hopefully they fixed this server-side by now.

It is probably server side.

One Example:

Koodo (Telus’s sub-brand), have had RCS toggle on Beta 3, but no RCS will send. It was enabled on Beta 4. So I assume if it sees RCS toggle, it will be coming soon.

Reactions: mactracker

mactracker

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Cambridge, MA
It is probably server side.

One Example:

Koodo (Telus’s sub-brand), have had RCS toggle on Beta 3, but no RCS will send. It was enabled on Beta 4. So I assume if it sees RCS toggle, it will be coming soon.
Agreed, but I was hitting those errors on T-Mobile, which had RCS working on DB 2 and 3.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
If it is corporate Wi-Fi, ask them if there is a time limit for one connection session.

My corporate Wi-Fi will have time limit on devices that not belong to the corpotate, meaning personal devices. If devices reaches time limit, there will be no connection, then RCS will not send or receive. I wi need to turn off Wi-Fi and reconnect to get RCS working (or on ceullar network).

1) In order to have RCS group chat, everyone in the group will need to have RCS enabled devices and services. Otherwise whole group will be under SMS and MMS.

2) In line relies will work on Google Messages (On Android), but will not show up on iOS side. Google Message will display replies.
My device is not limited in any way on corporate wifi.

I noticed that RCS is overall very buggy on B4 (when connection states change it gets disabled for a while).

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
My device is not limited in any way on corporate wifi.

I noticed that RCS is overall very buggy on B4 (when connection states change it gets disabled for a while).

Oh okay. I don’t know why… LOL. I feel like Apple should just let us to choose default messaging app and allow third party messaging app to manage text messages.

This will save Apple times and effort and I can use Google message for RCS messaging.

• Haha
Reactions: TimFL1

Hotbird1314

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2024
RCS ok in belgium with proximus,test ok with android phone 😉

Attachments

• IMG_0972.jpeg
    IMG_0972.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 30

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany

Do you mean in order to start a RCS group or overall (e.g. the second someone has RCS disabled, it nukes the RCS chat)?

rkrueger11

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2024
Does everyone also have the “RCS Business Messages” toggle?

Saw it on LinkedIn and thought it was strange that it was separate from the RCS toggle. (I’m on AT&T)

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Does everyone also have the “RCS Business Messages” toggle?

Saw it on LinkedIn and thought it was strange that it was separate from the RCS toggle. (I’m on AT&T)
It requires your carrier to enable support for it. Loads of carriers have it enabled in the EU whereas I heard the US carriers don‘t (potentially cause they want to not give free money to Google via Jibe RBM?)

rkrueger11

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2024
It requires your carrier to enable support for it. Loads of carriers have it enabled in the EU whereas I heard the US carriers don‘t (potentially cause they want to not give free money to Google via Jibe RBM?)
Makes sense and go figure.

You know if it’s a server side config? Or can I MITM the request?

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
Do you mean in order to start a RCS group or overall (e.g. the second someone has RCS disabled, it nukes the RCS chat)?

Yes. Requirement of RCS group chat is that all people in the group have RCS enabled devices and services.

However, what I read from Android Authority (or 9to5Mac) is that Google is planning converting all SMS to RCS with Google Message app.

Google is also preparing new E2EE standard on RCS

Hopefully these will make RCS experience even better

Reactions: dk001

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Yes. Requirement of RCS group chat is that all people in the group have RCS enabled devices and services.

However, what I read from Android Authority (or 9to5Mac) is that Google is planning converting all SMS to RCS with Google Message app.

Google is also preparing new E2EE standard on RCS

Hopefully these will make RCS experience even better
It‘s hard for me to wrap my head around this up/downgrade logic. I‘m used to WhatsApp, everyone is on there using the same platform and it just works.

So everyone needs to have RCS at THE TIME of group creation, but they don‘t need it permanently for the group to exist and function as a RCS group? I assume it wont ever downgrade to SMS from there, the contacts that lose RCS functionality will simply stop receiving messages without anyone else being bothered by that.

That‘s how, from limited research, iMessage groups should function also, right? If one contact drops out of iMessage, the remaining can still use the group without any downsides other than the single contact not receiving any more messages until you create a new group chat that is then of a different type (e.g. RCS or MMS).

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
It‘s hard for me to wrap my head around this up/downgrade logic. I‘m used to WhatsApp, everyone is on there using the same platform and it just works.

So everyone needs to have RCS at THE TIME of group creation, but they don‘t need it permanently for the group to exist and function as a RCS group? I assume it wont ever downgrade to SMS from there, the contacts that lose RCS functionality will simply stop receiving messages without anyone else being bothered by that.

That‘s how, from limited research, iMessage groups should function also, right? If one contact drops out of iMessage, the remaining can still use the group without any downsides other than the single contact not receiving any more messages until you create a new group chat that is then of a different type (e.g. RCS or MMS).

There is what happen if you try to add a person who does not have RCS:

1) iOS will add the person, and kick out the person as soon as you click okay.

Screenshot_20240725-115422~2.png

2) Google Message will give this error
Screenshot_20240725-114447.png

I turned of my RCS function on Google Message to minic if someone loses RCS, this is what happen with Google Message:

Screenshot_20240725-114822.png

The group chat will still have RCS, it just the one who loss RCS will not able to see messages until RCS is enabled again.

To summary:

If you have established RCS group chat, you will NOT able to add a person without RCS (i.e. anyone who don't use Google Messages or iOS 18 below). If you try to add someone without RCS into the RCS group chat on iOS, the person will be added and kicked out immediately.

If someone within group message losses RCS, he/she will not able to send and receive messages until RCS is restored.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Love
Reactions: TimFL1 and dk001

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
There is what happen if you try to add a person who does not have RCS:

1) iOS will add the person, and kick out the person as soon as you click okay.

View attachment 2399859

2) Google Message will give this error
View attachment 2399850

I turned of my RCS function on Google Message to minic if someone loses RCS, this is what happen with Google Message:

View attachment 2399851

The group chat will still have RCS, it just the one who loss RCS will not able to see messages until RCS is enabled again.

To summary:

If you have established RCS group chat, you will NOT able to add a person without RCS (i.e. anyone who don't use Google Messages or iOS 18 below). If you try to add someone without RCS into the RCS group chat on iOS, the person will be added and kicked out immediately.

If someone within group message losses RCS, he/she will not able to send and receive messages until RCS is restored.
That‘s really good. I was hoping that it wont ever accidentally downgrade to SMS. Thanks for the detailed tests and response.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I ended up downgrading to Beta 3.5 just now to get rid of the massive cellular service and RCS issues. Working flawlessly again… will definitely wait with updating to B5.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
That‘s really good. I was hoping that it wont ever accidentally downgrade to SMS. Thanks for the detailed tests and response.

Here are additional findings:

When you change the name of a group chat on iOS, the update is not reflected in Google Messages. However, if someone changes the group chat name using Google Messages, both iPhone and Android users will see the update.

If iOS devices cannot send RCS messages, they will default to SMS. On the iOS side, this switch is visible as it changes to SMS, while on Google Messages, a duplicate group chat appears with only the SMS messages.

Additionally, iOS devices cannot remove group members from the chat, but Google Messages can.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.