Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Still nothing for any of the Australian carriers - no love for Optus, Telstra or Vodafone (and likely any of the MVNOs), looks like we'll miss out on support in the iOS 18 release, unless there's an OTA carrier update coming on day one. :(
Still a few more betas to go, Vodafone is notorious for being bad at supporting iOS feature sets early.

Ratlerbite

Suspended
Mar 13, 2024
I have T-Mobile and my brother has Google fi and android. Seems to be working well. The text space where you type reads “Text message •RCS. I can see it’s been delivered, read etc

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I have T-Mobile and my brother has Google fi and android. Seems to be working well. The text space where you type reads “Text message •RCS. I can see it’s been delivered, read etc
Setting up 18.1B1 with Verizon was almost a no-brainer and it has worked 100% since.

gphome

macrumors member
May 15, 2024
Does anyone know if Google will be going off their non-standard RCS server? As a previous Pixel 8 user their RCS experience wasn't great. Apple may actually force carrier based adoption of the proper standard, if so they will be doing everyone a service, Android as well

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Does anyone know if Google will be going off their non-standard RCS server? As a previous Pixel 8 user their RCS experience wasn't great. Apple may actually force carrier based adoption of the proper standard, if so they will be doing everyone a service, Android as well
It doesn‘t matter since RCS is designed to be extensible, so any proprietary feature Google adds / any deviation from UP is simply ignored by true UP compliant clients or clients with their own proprietary extensions.

Reactions: dk001

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Yes.

In iOS, if one person in a group chat sends an SMS, the entire group will switch to SMS for all messages. Once an SMS is sent, the iOS Messages app will no longer use RCS.

The issue arises on the Android side. Google Messages requires everyone in the group chat to have RCS enabled. If one message is sent as SMS, it creates a duplicated group chat where SMS messages appear separately from RCS messages. This results in a confusing situation with messages split between two different chats.

The sensible approach is disable chat box if iOS detect RCS is not present.

View attachment 2400101

View attachment 2400102
This is spam of three minutes :)
Sorry for tagging but did you notice any improvements, fixes or changes to RCS in B5 (e.g. any changes to RCS group behavior)?

I have a feeling that it connects more reliably for me now, but I still can’t use it on CarPlay, certain wifi networks and I occasionally am in spots where I rock a solid cellular connection but RCS is nowhere to be seen (full 5G but no RCS, also when moving fast in cars without CarPlay there is no RCS for whatever reason but full 5G speed).. If it launches like that, it might as well be dead on arrival in my country when SMS is more reliable than RCS connections.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
Sorry for tagging but did you notice any improvements, fixes or changes to RCS in B5 (e.g. any changes to RCS group behavior)?

I have a feeling that it connects more reliably for me now, but I still can’t use it on CarPlay, certain wifi networks and I occasionally am in spots where I rock a solid cellular connection but RCS is nowhere to be seen (full 5G but no RCS, also when moving fast in cars without CarPlay there is no RCS for whatever reason but full 5G speed).. If it launches like that, it might as well be dead on arrival in my country when SMS is more reliable than RCS connections.

It’s more stable now, and I’ve only had one instance where a group message was sent as an SMS.

However, it’s quite frustrating that you can’t search for content within RCS chats.

Reactions: dk001 and TimFL1

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
It’s more stable now, and I’ve only had one instance where a group message was sent as an SMS.

However, it’s quite frustrating that you can’t search for content within RCS chats.
So iOS still allows you to send SMS into a RCS group?

Hope they change that since the feedback entries show loads if similar reports for that issue.

ellpee

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2024
ALERT: I can only speak about Verizon but if you’re running the beta and decide to go back to 17 you must first go to the Messages settings and TURN OFF RCS. After downgrading I stopped receiving SMS texts from certain contacts and after a week of thinking about it I had an idea, reinstalled 18, turned off RCS, then restored 17 and voila, SMS was working again.

NoGood@Usernames

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2020
United States
ALERT: I can only speak about Verizon but if you’re running the beta and decide to go back to 17 you must first go to the Messages settings and TURN OFF RCS. After downgrading I stopped receiving SMS texts from certain contacts and after a week of thinking about it I had an idea, reinstalled 18, turned off RCS, then restored 17 and voila, SMS was working again.
This is a good thing to point out! Just as you must unregister iMessage when moving from iOS to Android, you must also unregister RCS when moving either from Android to iOS an iOS pre version 18 or if moving from 18 back to 17 since RCS isn’t supported. This would apply for all carriers.

I’m not sure if this would have worked for you or not, but you may have been able to unregister using this page vs all the jumping back and forth.

Normally, this is the kind of thing I would test myself for science, but since RCS has been working flawlessly for me on 18 so far, I don’t want to mess with it! 😇

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I don‘t want to jinx it but I had RCS work while connected to wireless CarPlay on Beta 6 just now. We went for a short groceries trip and I had an unread RCS text, which I opened. The thread showed RCS enabled and I could send a message while being connected to wireless CarPlay.

Hope it stays that way, it’s quite mind boggling that it feels like I’m offline when wireless CarPlay is active with that bug.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
I don‘t want to jinx it but I had RCS work while connected to wireless CarPlay on Beta 6 just now. We went for a short groceries trip and I had an unread RCS text, which I opened. The thread showed RCS enabled and I could send a message while being connected to wireless CarPlay.

Hope it stays that way, it’s quite mind boggling that it feels like I’m offline when wireless CarPlay is active with that bug.

Good.. I am now on Pixel full time, I only carry iPhone 12 Pro Max with me during work time now.

Have not update to Beta 6 yet, I am going to ride with Beta 5 until final release day.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Good.. I am now on Pixel full time, I only carry iPhone 12 Pro Max with me during work time now.

Have not update to Beta 6 yet, I am going to ride with Beta 5 until final release day.
B6 is, for me, most definitely better than B5 in terms of RCS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.