Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
B6 is, for me, most definitely better than B5 in terms of RCS.

To be honest, for RCS, nothing beats Google messages now. At least I get typing indicators, send/read receipt on group chat, I can actually search inside group messages, and most importantly reaction works...

I rather stay with Pixel for now until Apple figure everything out...

Reactions: dk001 and TimFL1

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
To be honest, for RCS, nothing beats Google messages now. At least I get typing indicators, send/read receipt on group chat, I can actually search inside group messages, and most importantly reaction works...

Except, RCS images are better quality when sent from an iPhone.

Reactions: Ansath

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Just wondering if anyone has had issues with Android carrying friends where they aren't getting your messages and vice versa. I was on Beta 2 about a month ago, and had to roll back because my wife wasn't receiving any of my messages. She was using Samsung messages with RCS enabled.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Just wondering if anyone has had issues with Android carrying friends where they aren't getting your messages and vice versa. I was on Beta 2 about a month ago, and had to roll back because my wife wasn't receiving any of my messages. She was using Samsung messages with RCS enabled.
Samsung Messages is notorious for bad RCS functionality. It’s also being discontinued, so might as well get them to switch to Google Messages.

Google Messages is good in terms of deadlocking SMS. iOS keeps switching over to SMS whenever there is a connection blip, whereas Google Messages is more lenient in terms of trying RCS even when connection is bad.

Hope Apple at least hardlocks RCS in RCS group chats (so you don’t accidentally degrade the group to SMS).

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Beta 7 Today:

Fixes:
  • Fixed: Existing RCS 1:1/Group chat will downgrade to SMS even if RCS is still registered. (130029732)
Issues:
  • For group messages with RCS and iMessage participants, a reply to a text message attachment might not display as a thread on the receiver device. (133326509)

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Beta 7 Today:

Fixes:
  • Fixed: Existing RCS 1:1/Group chat will downgrade to SMS even if RCS is still registered. (130029732)
Issues:
  • For group messages with RCS and iMessage participants, a reply to a text message attachment might not display as a thread on the receiver device. (133326509)
That fixed entry has been there since Beta 3, it’s not new. In B2 you routinely lost RCS functionality while texting. The issue one has also been there as of B6 at the very least.

That being said, anything new with RCS? I hope they force RCS in RCS group chats now without accidental downgrades messing with Android contacts.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
That fixed entry has been there since Beta 3, it’s not new. In B2 you routinely lost RCS functionality while texting. The issue one has also been there as of B6 at the very least.

That being said, anything new with RCS? I hope they force RCS in RCS group chats now without accidental downgrades messing with Android contacts.

I don’t know I just copied it from the release notes 😀

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
No update to Mint Mobile on 18.1b3.
I feel like the carriers are locked in now. Barely any movement by them.

Back onto functionality… did anyone test RCS in the last 2 builds? Particularly the group behavior where they allowed you to send SMS and brick the group (@Aoligei )

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
I feel like the carriers are locked in now. Barely any movement by them.

Back onto functionality… did anyone test RCS in the last 2 builds? Particularly the group behavior where they allowed you to send SMS and brick the group (@Aoligei )

btw you missed off Movistar (Spain) on the main page

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I've got RCS here in the UK, but must admit I'm a touch unsure as to whats supposed to be so good about it compared to imessage.

When sending picture messages or emoji via RCS to an Android phone mean we won't get charged by our carrier?

Right now in the UK we can only send pics and emoji from iPhone to iPhone fire free. To do so from iphine to Android would incur a charge.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
btw you missed off Movistar (Spain) on the main page
You should be able to add that in yourself via the wiki post functionality?
I've got RCS here in the UK, but must admit I'm a touch unsure as to whats supposed to be so good about it compared to imessage.

When sending picture messages or emoji via RCS to an Android phone mean we won't get charged by our carrier?

Right now in the UK we can only send pics and emoji from iPhone to iPhone fire free. To do so from iphine to Android would incur a charge.
It’s essentially iMessage-lite for cross-platform texting. Works like any other OTT messenger out there.

Careful though, iOS is very aggressive about downgrading your chat to SMS/MMS when it feels like your connection isn’t good enough for RCS or it doesn’t like your wifi network. There also is an issue where RCS group chats allow you to send SMS/MMS when RCS is unavailable for you (which downgrades your group for you and creates a new MMS group on Android devices) which hopefully is fixed / gets fixed in the near future.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
You should be able to add that in yourself via the wiki post functionality?

It’s essentially iMessage-lite for cross-platform texting. Works like any other OTT messenger out there.

Careful though, iOS is very aggressive about downgrading your chat to SMS/MMS when it feels like your connection isn’t good enough for RCS or it doesn’t like your wifi network. There also is an issue where RCS group chats allow you to send SMS/MMS when RCS is unavailable for you (which downgrades your group for you and creates a new MMS group on Android devices) which hopefully is fixed / gets fixed in the near future.
Thanks Tim. That's really useful information. I think due now I'll stick with the tried and tested method of WhatsApp.

With RCS,are picture messages and emojis free to send?

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
RCS uses data so if your data is free, RCS is free.
Here in the UK, even if you have free data, if you send a picture message or emoji from an iPhone to Android with your free data, the carrier charges you for that message as it counts as a message and not iMessage. So many I know have been caught out by this.

iMessages though are free to send.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Here in the UK, even if you have free data, if you send a picture message or emoji from an iPhone to Android with your free data, the carrier charges you for that message as it counts as a message and not iMessage. So many I know have been caught out by this.

iMessages though are free to send.
It’s because MMS are charged per text sent, RCS works like WhatsApp and iMessage as a OTT chat.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
It’s because MMS are charged per text sent, RCS works like WhatsApp and iMessage as a OTT chat.
So all pictures and emoji messages regardless of which OS you send to would be free? If so, finally and brilliant 🙂

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
When RCS first showed in iOS beta, I called Mint tech support. At that time they indicated that the plan, even though part of T-Mobile, was to turn on RCS post iOS18 launch. No firm date.
Doesn’t surprise me. They only seem to update the modem firmware post iOS release as well. Causes about ~3weeks of data issues usually. Annoying but they’re cheap and have been solid otherwise so I live with it.

Reactions: dk001

mozzamobile

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2024

Which network are you on??

Reactions: scouser75

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
When RCS first showed in iOS beta, I called Mint tech support. At that time they indicated that the plan, even though part of T-Mobile, was to turn on RCS post iOS18 launch. No firm date.
Maybe tech support has changed since my early jobs with AOL and VZW, but when I did support we didn't know anything. 90% of the job was just learning what worked to get the person off the phone without leaving a negative survey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.