Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Do they though? The reason Google stepped up and did their own thing is because none of the carriers were adding the infrastructure and they wanted it to "just work." It works on your Android phone, but that isn't because of anything Mint did.

If Mint did not, how are they handling RCS on Android today?
I don’t enough about that end of it, the infrastructure, to reliably make a decent guess.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
If Mint did not, how are they handling RCS on Android today?
I don’t enough about that end of it, the infrastructure, to reliably make a decent guess.
Probably just the generic Jibe fallback that Google added to Google Messages in 2019 (if your carrier doesn‘t do their job and provides RCS, Google just takes over and signs you up via generic Jibe).

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Do MVNO's figure into this? I know I have AT&T via Pure Talk and it's showing RCS as available and enabled in both places.

2Xtreme21

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
Vodafone DE finally!! Needed to go to Settings > About and a Carrier Update appeared (to 59.1) but now the RCS toggle finally showed up.

Reactions: TimFL1

Adam-Kay-

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
(Created an account just so I could post here)

I was curious about this for O2-UK and spoke with Support, and was told the following:

1726516542664.png

So, hopefully it'll be any week now!

adambadamh

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2011
It took me several tries after updating today for RCS to work. It would immediately error out when I tried to send a message from my iPhone but when I tried from an Android back it would circle. After about 60 second the RCS messages came through and it was working as advertised. Very nice to get reactions from Android.

mozzamobile

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2024
(Created an account just so I could post here)

I was curious about this for O2-UK and spoke with Support, and was told the following:

View attachment 2419204

So, hopefully it'll be any week now!
That sounds like he doesn't know that the Global Roll out has happened today, might check in with my Enterprise Account Manager tomorrow and see if they know owt...

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I only have a few people I know with Androids and I texted two of them, one comes up as RCS and works great but the other stays as SMS. Does the other person need to enable it on their android as well? Or is it on by default for them?

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Apple has updated their carrier features website and it includes RCS Messaging as a feature:

Should probably replace the wiki post now
The supported carriers in the US are listed as follows:
  • AT&T
  • C Spire
  • Consumer Cellular
  • Cricket
  • FirstNet
  • Metro by T-Mobile
  • PureTalk
  • Red Pocket
  • Spectrum
  • T-Mobile
  • TracFone
  • US Cellular
  • Verizon
  • Visible
  • Xfinity Mobile
I've updated the wiki post accordingly.

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Reactions: dk001

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
So far, my impressions of RCS are meh...

I have it enabled on my iPhone 15 Pro and I asked my wife to enable it on her Samsung Galaxy this morning. I thought after that, all of our messages would be sent via RCS but it seems that they're still being sent as SMS. For example...

I took our dog for a walk this morning and sent her a few RCS messages about it and I thought they went through no problem.

After a minute, I noticed that I was getting a barage of "Message could not be delivered" notifications and they were all from the RCS messages I sent her.

I resent them as SMS and voila, they went though.

I really hope this is just a bug because Apple made a big deal about RCS being a thing now...

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
So after a day of RCS it brings the most wanted features like typing indicators, read receipts, higher quality photo/video, and reactions.

But it's still missing basics like group read receipts and typing indicators in group chats.

I'll still dump whatsapp for it to consolidate into 1 messaging app, but it's still definitely inferior to messaging apps and imessage.

mfrank29

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
At work, we have a Verizon government/non-profit enterprise account. We were told that they are prohibited to allow RCS for those types of accounts.

Has anyone else heard of this? It does appear to be in the Verizon terms....but why?

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Mint Mobile is clueless about RCS support for iOS 18 when I called them multiple times yesterday, clearly they need to update their carrier settings file to add support, which currently says only Voice & SMS under IMS Status. Perhaps they have no infrastructure setup yet, but they do support RCS for Android. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Did you see my post above? The CEO of Mint addressed this in a post on Reddit.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
So far, my impressions of RCS are meh...

I have it enabled on my iPhone 15 Pro and I asked my wife to enable it on her Samsung Galaxy this morning. I thought after that, all of our messages would be sent via RCS but it seems that they're still being sent as SMS. For example...

I took our dog for a walk this morning and sent her a few RCS messages about it and I thought they went through no problem.

After a minute, I noticed that I was getting a barage of "Message could not be delivered" notifications and they were all from the RCS messages I sent her.

I resent them as SMS and voila, they went though.

I really hope this is just a bug because Apple made a big deal about RCS being a thing now...
Ahh so it’s not enabled by default on android phones? I texted two of my friends with androids, one was RCS and the other is SMS and I couldn’t figure out why

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Ahh so it’s not enabled by default on android phones? I texted two of my friends with androids, one was RCS and the other is SMS and I couldn’t figure out why
Yeah from what I can tell, when it's iPhone to Android, they seem to be switching back and forth between RCS and SMS on their own and there is no rhyme or reason why. When RCS does work, it is cool to see the delivered and read receipts on the green bubbles but its the lack of consistency that's killing it for me right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.