Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
My wife uses RCS on her Pixel, and she has tying indicators and read receipts (except for me) off as well. The only thing she cared about was full quality photos and video.

I would disable typing indicators in iMessage too, if offered the option.
I provided feedback for that a long time ago, wish they‘d listen and let us turn off typing indicators.

bombingGround

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2024
Haha I love it…I’m just curious what’s the psychology behind it.
I live in europe, have iPhone since forever and iMessage turned off, only using sms. I dont need all of this communicator fluff that keeps you "engaged", sms is more than enough, if I want to really talk about something ASAP then i just make a call.

Im not a slave to technology, i use it to help me, not trap me into "always online" mentality. The only thing that i see usefull in iMessage/RCS is sending full quality pictures, but thats about it.

Reactions: addamas

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
The only iMessage feature I disable is showing my Focus state. The other ones are at least somewhat useful in a conversation.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I have a RCS group going now with 2 other users and I noticed, that they enforce the same arbitrary "can‘t leave group if at 3 participants" limit for RCS groups. That goes actively against UP, where they say that you only need 3 users at the start of the chat, after that you‘re free to leave the group and it can function with 2 or even 1 user remaining.

So many lazy details they just ignore due to how stupid iMessage handles things.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
I swear to God I hate RCS group chat on iOS. Now we have 2 iPhone 3 Android.

iPhone keep trying to sending as iMessages, kicks me out from group chat and automatically rejoins me when other member messages. Number of times where message not send is stupid.

IMG_0687.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: TimFL1 and addamas

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I swear to God I hate RCS group chat on iOS. Now we have 2 iPhone 3 Android.

iPhone keep trying to sending as iMessages, kicks me out from group chat and automatically rejoins me when other member messages. Number of times where message not send is stupid.

View attachment 2429241
At least it doesn’t try to send as SMS/MMS (don‘t think that bug is fixed though, opened a RCS group when I had no RCS connection and the input box said SMS, was too afraid to send a message though cause of the others being from abroad).

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
At least it doesn’t try to send as SMS/MMS (don‘t think that bug is fixed though, opened a RCS group when I had no RCS connection and the input box said SMS, was too afraid to send a message though cause of the others being from abroad).

Oh it still does.

• Wow
Reactions: TimFL1

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Haha I love it…I’m just curious what’s the psychology behind it.

One of the most important draws 'messaging' has on me (similarly in-kind with email communications) is the idea that we are effortlessly allowed to decide our response time-frames.

If I need to get an immediate response, a phone call is my choice.

When I need space to ruminate (et al.), the informal (and timeless) medium provided by messaging/email is invaluable.

I don't desire to tease the expectant respondent with an indicateur to the possibility that I've fully-completed my dissertation well-ahead of my intended publication ;)

Involuntary {...} implies an immediacy not necessary to the convo.

Boeingfan

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2019
Australia
Involuntary {...} implies an immediacy not necessary to the convo.
That's an assumption. A read receipt is nothing more than a notification that the message has been seen, otherwise it would be called an 'actioned' receipt. Don't overthink it.

When a cars low fuel light is on, and you've noticed it, the car doesn't automatically assume you've filled it up.

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
That's an assumption

This was a response to a query about "what’s the psychology behind it"

I have Read Receipts turned-off.

What leads the 'I-Can't-Turn-It-Off' tell-tale of attention is the {...}, and there are a lot of times that I really don't want the OP to know that I am currently in a deliberative stage in the convo.

Obviously, I am party to the convo; but it may be a simple fact that I am just not ready to participate . . . anything that alludes to a preemptive conclusion to-whit is obstructive to such.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I can confirm that there is something fishy with voice messages going on. They send fine but sometimes they show up as files and if you have more than one device, they usually sync as files to my e.g. iPad.

I reported it during B3 but there is no progress on the feedback ID so far.

Files? As in the same way voicemails show in Messages.

Boeingfan

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2019
Australia

What leads the 'I-Can't-Turn-It-Off' tell-tale of attention is the {...}, and there are a lot of times that I really don't want the OP to know that I am currently in a deliberative stage in the convo.

Obviously, I am party to the convo; but it may be a simple fact that I am just not ready to participate . . . anything that alludes to a preemptive conclusion to-whit is obstructive to such.
How do you perform the same mechanism in a face to face conversation?

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
whiny Android users

*urhm*

I dialogue with at least six users on a daily basis who chose to use android devices.

It really doesn't matter--to me--what they use.

But, it becomes a real problem (on a Professional basis) when I need to share pertinent photos and documents.

Time is of the essence when one is faced with contractual agreements.

Reactions: ProbablyDylan

monstermash

Suspended
Apr 21, 2020
*urhm*

I dialogue with at least six users on a daily basis who chose to use android devices.

It really doesn't matter--to me--what they use.

But, it becomes a real problem (on a Professional basis) when I need to share pertinent photos and documents.

Time is of the essence when one is faced with contractual agreements.
I made no claim that someone else has no use for the feature, only myself.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA

I turn Read Receipts off because I don't always want the sender to know I've read their text yet. Sometimes I want to pretend I didn't get it, rather than acknowledge that I'm ignoring it.

Reactions: splifingate

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Not a feature I have any use for, and I'd like to give the finger to the EU and whiny Android users.
You can thank China for RCS in iOS. EU had barely anything to do with that, they didn‘t even classify iMessage as a gatekeeper so nothing would‘ve happened on that front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.