Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
I feel like the carriers are locked in now. Barely any movement by them.

Back onto functionality… did anyone test RCS in the last 2 builds? Particularly the group behavior where they allowed you to send SMS and brick the group (@Aoligei )

So far so good. IOS has been pretty stable with RCS group chat right now.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I have to say that I’m not really impressed with RCS so far. All the audio messages my friend send me through RCS was showed correctly at first but now, all those audio files are going back to a regular file just like SMS was prior to iOS 18 and the read receipt doesn’t work for audio messages as well. Very disappointing. I’ll probably have to stick with Messenger for all my non apple contacts.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
So far so good. IOS has been pretty stable with RCS group chat right now.
So they prevent SMS from being sent into a RCS group or you mean you haven‘t had any moments where RCS wasn‘t available yet when chatting in a RCS group?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I have to say that I’m not really impressed with RCS so far. All the audio messages my friend send me through RCS was showed correctly at first but now, all those audio files are going back to a regular file just like SMS was prior to iOS 18 and the read receipt doesn’t work for audio messages as well. Very disappointing. I’ll probably have to stick with Messenger for all my non apple contacts.

If they are changing it isn’t RCS. The format sent is the format received. If you are now receiving different formats it is the sender or iOS. Sounds like you are not getting RCS - this likely means the issue is on the iOS end.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
If they are changing it isn’t RCS. The format sent is the format received. If you are now receiving different formats it is the sender or iOS. Sounds like you are not getting RCS - this likely means the issue is on the iOS end.
I can confirm that there is something fishy with voice messages going on. They send fine but sometimes they show up as files and if you have more than one device, they usually sync as files to my e.g. iPad.

I reported it during B3 but there is no progress on the feedback ID so far.

Reactions: dk001

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I can confirm that there is something fishy with voice messages going on. They send fine but sometimes they show up as files and if you have more than one device, they usually sync as files to my e.g. iPad.

I reported it during B3 but there is no progress on the feedback ID so far.
Exactly this. But often, the audio messages came correctly on my main device and its clearly RCS, but later on, those same messages were converted back to regular files. Its just pretty bad for future reference if I need to listen an old message and find the correct one.

Reactions: TimFL1

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Exactly this. But often, the audio messages came correctly on my main device and its clearly RCS, but later on, those same messages were converted back to regular files. Its just pretty bad for future reference if I need to listen an old message and find the correct one.
Could be tied to Messages in iCloud freeing up your device storage and you downloading content again when you scroll up a chat?

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
RC is out and one of the biggest providers in Germany (Vodafone DE) has not added support. What a lowlight, but they‘re always late to the party for everything.

Changenotes for Messages also did not budge, still no mentions for the plethora of pending bug reports.

Reactions: 2Xtreme21

GroningenNL

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Groningen
No RCS support in the Netherlands, most people here use Whatsapp. But can comfirm the toggle isnt available in the RC version of ios 18 here in the Netherlands.

• Sad

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Still no support on o2 here in the UK.... to be honest a lot of people in the UK use WhatsApp
And they will continue to use it with no one taking RCS seriously. Providers don‘t bother submitting a simple "Enable RCS" toggle in their profiles, Apple makes it incredibly uneasy to use RCS:
- RCS on iOS is very picky about when it wants to work (connection blip? Hello SMS for 1 minute… wrong wifi network? Hello SMS)
- Apple does ******** to streamline RCS so it works like iMessage, they want to downgrade you to SMS at the slightest inconvenience, including in RCS groups which is a big nono according to the UP spec (iOS allows you to send SMS into a RCS group, which splits the group on the Android side)
- Apple did the bare minimum in providing RCS UP 2.4 instead of 2.6 or 2.7

These points alone make sure RCS is dead on arrival here and flagged as an accidental money sink due to accidentally sending SMS/MMS.
Until providers take it serious and provide proper support + Apple gets with the times and streamlines / updates their implementation, RCS wont be any alternative.

Reactions: mozzamobile

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Evidently it's working fine w/T-Mobile. I couldn't send *ANY* messages to anyone using Android if I wanted to send pics or what have you...they would just time out.

Now I have no issues at all sending any texts, pictures, videos, etc.

mozzamobile

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2024
And they will continue to use it with no one taking RCS seriously. Providers don‘t bother submitting a simple "Enable RCS" toggle in their profiles, Apple makes it incredibly uneasy to use RCS:
- RCS on iOS is very picky about when it wants to work (connection blip? Hello SMS for 1 minute… wrong wifi network? Hello SMS)
- Apple does ******** to streamline RCS so it works like iMessage, they want to downgrade you to SMS at the slightest inconvenience, including in RCS groups which is a big nono according to the UP spec (iOS allows you to send SMS into a RCS group, which splits the group on the Android side)

These points alone make sure RCS is dead on arrival here and flagged as an accidental money sink due to accidentally sending SMS/MMS.
Until providers take it serious and provide proper support + Apple gets with the times and streamlines / updates their implementation, RCS wont be any alternative.
100% agree, its a shame as it RCS is a good improvement over the SMS standard, but both parties have made it a cluster*******

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland

Unfortunately it's not a simple "Enable RCS" toggle. The provider has to implement an RCS server, or use someone else's service and pay for it. Therefore someone at the provider has to see a need for it and come up with a budget. Which is harder than you might thing.

Source: I work for a provider.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Unfortunately it's not a simple "Enable RCS" toggle. The provider has to implement an RCS server, or use someone else's service and pay for it. Therefore someone at the provider has to see a need for it and come up with a budget. Which is harder than you might thing.

iOS seems to have a well-known / generic default Jibe endpoint that profiles use without a specified endpoint. Technically nothing stops Apple from enabling that for every single provider out there, mimicking the default fallback in Google Messages.

People going through carrier profiles found a lot of providers that don‘t specify any endpoint and let iOS use the generic one (they just provide a flag that enables RCS without specifying an endpoint), which is not tied to a single cellular provider. I think Telekom.de is one of them, using the generic RCS EU sandbox jibe endpoint.

Unsure whether these providers have agreements with Google or whether that is an essentially free way of unlocking RCS, since I doubt Google vets any connections / sign ups that way (people used a similar method years ago to sign up for Jibe RCS on their phones, hacking in a generic sandbox endpoint, before Google Messages added the default fallback).

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
iOS seems to have a well-known / generic default Jibe endpoint that profiles use without a specified endpoint. Technically nothing stops Apple from enabling that for every single provider out there, mimicking the default fallback in Google Messages.

People going through carrier profiles found a lot of providers that don‘t specify any endpoint and let iOS use the generic one (they just provide a flag that enables RCS without specifying an endpoint), which is not tied to a single cellular provider. I think Telekom.de is one of them, using the generic RCS EU sandbox jibe endpoint.

Unsure whether these providers have agreements with Google or whether that is an essentially free way of unlocking RCS, since I doubt Google vets any connections / sign ups that way (people used a similar method years ago to sign up for Jibe RCS on their phones, hacking in a generic sandbox endpoint, before Google Messages added the default fallback).

Even if Google provides a generic endpoint that can be used by providers (with or without agreement): it has privacy implications that must be checked by the legal department. It creates all kinds of costs. You need to set up a project and involve several departments. You can't just add a DNS entry and call it a day. A lot of "cover my ass" going on and that's extremely complex even for something apparently so easy...

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Even if Google provides a generic endpoint that can be used by providers (with or without agreement): it has privacy implications that must be checked by the legal department. It creates all kinds of costs. You need to set up a project and involve several departments. You can't just add a DNS entry and call it a day. A lot of "cover my ass" going on and that's extremely complex even for something apparently so easy...
Time will tell how this unfolds. In case you‘re interested in the technical side, there was an insanely detailed discussion on reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/UniversalProfile/s/Rq4hvIPJdL

I certainly hope Apple eventually enables RCS globally via their default / fallback profiles so everyone just signs up with Jibe. That‘s also what the tech cracks in that reddit thread suggest as the most likely outcome in the future.

Reactions: dk001 and ManuCH

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Time will tell how this unfolds. In case you‘re interested in the technical side, there was an insanely detailed discussion on reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/UniversalProfile/s/Rq4hvIPJdL

I certainly hope Apple eventually enables RCS globally via their default / fallback profiles so everyone just signs up with Jibe. That‘s also what the tech cracks in that reddit thread suggest as the most likely outcome in the future.

Thank you! And I sure hope the same. It's the only way to get this going.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
For me, RCS works as it should in Canada with Rogers. Never been downgraded to SMS so far. Sometimes it shows SMS at the bottom, but as soon as I send a message it shows as a RCS message and RCS is now displayed at the bottom again.

My only issue so far is for audio messages that convert back to regular files after a day.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009

It’s an especially hard sell when users already don't use SMS. It’s a solved problem already and RCS doesn’t add any value.

Reactions: ManuCH

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I think this is the thing that colors me a bit confused.
I use Mint Mobile - they are on the TMobile network and already support RCS - I have it on my Android.
Why can’t they just use the same setup for iOS as they already have the infrastructure in place?

Reactions: chrisdazzo

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
I think this is the thing that colors me a bit confused.
I use Mint Mobile - they are on the TMobile network and already support RCS - I have it on my Android.
Why can’t they just use the same setup for iOS as they already have the infrastructure in place?
From what I understand, this is the CEO of Mint: https://www.reddit.com/r/mintmobile/comments/1fd0nn6/_/lmcthes
It'll be a few months, unfortunately. The backend transition is taking some time. Believe me, we want this out as soon as we can.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
as they already have the infrastructure in place?

Do they though? The reason Google stepped up and did their own thing is because none of the carriers were adding the infrastructure and they wanted it to "just work." It works on your Android phone, but that isn't because of anything Mint did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.