Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
Overall, RCS messaging on iOS remains problematic, particularly with group chats involving Android users.

The RCS experience can vary significantly between iPhones. For instance, I have two identical iPhone 12 Pro Max devices, both running iOS 18 beta 4. One of them provides a seamless RCS experience, while the other frequently switches between RCS and SMS, occasionally creating duplicate chats on Android. This issue often necessitates removing the problematic iPhone from the group.

In the case of the problematic iPhone with RCS messaging, it will be drop off from the RCS chat after 5 minutes.

Last edited:

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Here are additional findings:

If iOS devices cannot send RCS messages, they will default to SMS. On the iOS side, this switch is visible as it changes to SMS, while on Google Messages, a duplicate group chat appears with only the SMS messages.

Do you mean in group chats? So if I‘m in a RCS group and iOS decides that RCS wont work right now, iOS sends the message via SMS into the RCS group chat, which then shows up as a separate group chat on Google Messages?

I thought if you can‘t send RCS, it will simply fail in the RCS group until you can send RCS again? Anything else would be insanely annoying (mainly accidental charges or creating trash SMS groups on other parties phones…).

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
Do you mean in group chats? So if I‘m in a RCS group and iOS decides that RCS wont work right now, iOS sends the message via SMS into the RCS group chat, which then shows up as a separate group chat on Google Messages?

I thought if you can‘t send RCS, it will simply fail in the RCS group until you can send RCS again? Anything else would be insanely annoying (mainly accidental charges or creating trash SMS groups on other parties phones…).

This is behavior on iOS side. Everything looks fine on iOS message app, but it is all messed up on Android side. This is why I have to remove one of my iPhone from group chat, because it is RCS stops working every 3-5 minutes.

On Google message, if RCS gets disabled, the chat box will not show up.

5255582322557766357.jpeg

1721995687219.jpeg

Last edited:

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
This is behavior on iOS side. Everything looks fine on iOS message app, but it is all messed up on Android side. This is why I have to remove one of my iPhone from group chat, because it is RCS stops working every 3-5 minutes.

On Google message, if RCS gets disabled, the chat box will not show up.

View attachment 2400048
View attachment 2400050
Did you report that and request for them to have it work like it does with iMessage groups, that being groups never downgrade to SMS (and your messages simply fail to send)?

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
Did you report that and request for them to have it work like it does with iMessage groups, that being groups never downgrade to SMS (and your messages simply fail to send)?

Yes.

In iOS, if one person in a group chat sends an SMS, the entire group will switch to SMS for all messages. Once an SMS is sent, the iOS Messages app will no longer use RCS.

The issue arises on the Android side. Google Messages requires everyone in the group chat to have RCS enabled. If one message is sent as SMS, it creates a duplicated group chat where SMS messages appear separately from RCS messages. This results in a confusing situation with messages split between two different chats.

The sensible approach is disable chat box if iOS detect RCS is not present.

IMG_0569.png

1722006910855.jpeg

This is spam of three minutes :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TimFL1

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Yes.

In iOS, if one person in a group chat sends an SMS, the entire group will switch to SMS for all messages. Once an SMS is sent, the iOS Messages app will no longer use RCS.

The issue arises on the Android side. Google Messages requires everyone in the group chat to have RCS enabled. If one message is sent as SMS, it creates a duplicated group chat where SMS messages appear separately from RCS messages. This results in a confusing situation with messages split between two different chats.

The sensible approach is disable chat box if iOS detect RCS is not present.

View attachment 2400101

View attachment 2400102
This is spam of three minutes :)
Man I really treat the future if they half-ass their RCS implementation like that…

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
Man I really treat the future if they half-ass their RCS implementation like that…

I have two identical iPhone 12 Pro Max devices(Same devices, same carrier Freedom Mobile m, same version number). RCS works fine on one but not the other. I can't explain why this is happening, but my main iPhone 12 Pro Max, which was upgraded from iOS 17, switches between RCS and SMS every few minutes. In contrast, the other iPhone 12 Pro Max, which was upgraded from a clean iOS 17 installation, does not experience this issue.

So I guess, a clean iOS 18 installation after final release should be done?

Reactions: dk001 and TimFL1

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I have two identical iPhone 12 Pro Max devices(Same devices, same carrier Freedom Mobile m, same version number). RCS works fine on one but not the other. I can't explain why this is happening, but my main iPhone 12 Pro Max, which was upgraded from iOS 17, switches between RCS and SMS every few minutes. In contrast, the other iPhone 12 Pro Max, which was upgraded from a clean iOS 17 installation, does not experience this issue.

So I guess, a clean iOS 18 installation after final release should be done?
There are always the odd ones out. I only have the beta on my main device, which is also the device I work with in terms of App development and cellular + RCS stability has been absolutely dreadful on Beta 4. Before that I only had issues with RCS while connected to wireless CarPlay and when I lost cellular service (sometimes took 10min+ to return).

Now I effectively only have RCS at home on my private wifi or when my signal strength is 4 bars. Anything below that and it‘s gone. What‘s even worse is, that it sometimes shows RCS but sends as SMS (which costs me money across borders, unfortunately the only people willing to use RCS with me are abroad).

As for clean install, I usually have the experience that the final few betas clear things up properly. I usually never reinstall, I just ride it through until the RC hits and stuff fixes itself.

As for RCS stability, this is certainly something Apple has to fix by September or it‘ll leave a very sour taste in everyones mouth. I think most issues stem from Apple trying to combine both SMS and RCS, making the fallback to SMS very aggressive (I had moments where I could watch the RCS/SMS text in the input box flicker 10 times in the span of 2 seconds, presumably because iOS has an internal cellular service quality threshold they want to enforce with RCS).
I just wish they‘d iMessage it and have RCS be like iMessage… just send as RCS for RCS enabled contacts, whether it sends right away or takes a minute like iMessage -> that‘s ok if it ensures 100% RCS and no flip flopping between RCS/SMS all the time. Maybe they get to that point once they introduce E2EE (rumored to happen with Google leaving traces of GSMA MLS mentions in their app).

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
There are always the odd ones out. I only have the beta on my main device, which is also the device I work with in terms of App development and cellular + RCS stability has been absolutely dreadful on Beta 4. Before that I only had issues with RCS while connected to wireless CarPlay and when I lost cellular service (sometimes took 10min+ to return).

Now I effectively only have RCS at home on my private wifi or when my signal strength is 4 bars. Anything below that and it‘s gone. What‘s even worse is, that it sometimes shows RCS but sends as SMS (which costs me money across borders, unfortunately the only people willing to use RCS with me are abroad).

As for clean install, I usually have the experience that the final few betas clear things up properly. I usually never reinstall, I just ride it through until the RC hits and stuff fixes itself.

As for RCS stability, this is certainly something Apple has to fix by September or it‘ll leave a very sour taste in everyones mouth. I think most issues stem from Apple trying to combine both SMS and RCS, making the fallback to SMS very aggressive (I had moments where I could watch the RCS/SMS text in the input box flicker 10 times in the span of 2 seconds, presumably because iOS has an internal cellular service quality threshold they want to enforce with RCS).
I just wish they‘d iMessage it and have RCS be like iMessage… just send as RCS for RCS enabled contacts, whether it sends right away or takes a minute like iMessage -> that‘s ok if it ensures 100% RCS and no flip flopping between RCS/SMS all the time. Maybe they get to that point once they introduce E2EE (rumored to happen with Google leaving traces of GSMA MLS mentions in their app).

I am giving up on my iPhone 12 Pro Max (the one has problems), put the SIM card on Pixel 8… I will not use this until finally releases. The switching between RCS/SMS is very annoying

Reactions: TimFL1

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020

I want report back to you.

I put my SIM card to Pixel for like 30 minutes and used Google Message for the duration of that time. Due to I have too many apps that I am using daily, including Microsoft Authenticator app from work, I changed the SIM back to the problematic iPhone.

To my surprise, it worked fine for the entire afternoon without switching back to RCS.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Just wanted to jump in here and say that this is a very good convo/discussion. This is one thread where I hope someone at Apple is reading through here as this will provide more flavor than Feedback can.

Great job!

• Love
Reactions: dk001 and TimFL1

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Just wanted to jump in here and say that this is a very good convo/discussion. This is one thread where I hope someone at Apple is reading through here as this will provide more flavor than Feedback can.

Great job!
This whole topic can also be found as feedback. I fear Apple will soon ban me from submitting new Feedback for RCS.

My RCS stability feedback alone has 7 comments with reproduction videos submitted each (like toggle wifi/cellular to see RCS vanish), I‘m documenting everything and also giving ideas on how to improve.

The more people submitting feedback, the higher the chance it finds the right people (3 of my reports are already acknowledged with 10 or more similar issues, including the wifi issue for RCS).

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Could just be placebo but I instantly have a better RCS experience on B4.5.

RCS shows up instantly after reboot for me. There is still the odd bug that disables RCS when your connection stack changes (e.g. you turn off wifi and it flips to cellular) but that resolves itself within a few seconds (other way around, cellular to wifi is quicker with just roughly a second of SMS showing).

I have to drive my SO to an event later, I‘ll check CarPlay issues and also see how fast RCS recovers in various situations and report back.

//EDIT: I took the liberty to also report the RCS group SMS sending issue that Aoligei experiences with a semi-detailed writeup and suggestions on how to solve as a Feedback and got this today:
1722072314552.png

Good to know that the Beta community is ontop of their game for these kind of issues.

//EDIT 2: I just dropped my SO off at the event and RCS was gone for the entire ride with CarPlay connected. On my way home I stopped to grab groceries and was adamant about spotting when it reenables itself, to no avail (I disconnected from CarPlay and waited for RCS to return for a minute or two, then gave up and went groceries but kept checking a RCS chat every now and then to always find "Text Message -SMS"). By the time I returned to the car I checked again and RCS was back, only to instantly go away again when the CarPlay connection came up.

At home it was instantly available on wifi, so this is still a big step up from B4.0.
I wonder if the cellular connectivity issue was heavily tying into RCS bricking for me (cellular has been spot on on B4.5 from what I can tell so far, but it‘s only been a few hours on mostly wifi).

Last edited:

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
No RCS on Vodafone UK yet.

No worries. I'm sure it'll be along shortly. No dramas!
From personal experience, Vodafone is absolutely dreadful for anything but their 1Gbit internet package. I had everything from them but been slowly canceling all their services (but the internet package).

They are always slow to adopt stuff and customer service is really hostile.

Hang in there, maybe Apple provides a fallback cutting out carriers that are too lazy …

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Has anyone tested RCS on the 18.1 Beta 1 build? Any improvements / bug fixes?

The revised Beta 4 has really improved reliability of RCS for me. I still have issues with RCS reconnecting after signal loss or CarPlay connection, the odd flickering when your connection changes (e.g. from cellular to wifi) and certain wifi setups where it doesn‘t work but other than that it‘s been pretty reliable.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
No bug fixes in 18.1 period. The release notes just say to see the beta 4 release notes. All that’s different is Apple Intelligence. It’s a fork, not an upgrade. They will continue to build both builds separately as they assume the Apple Intelligence stuff won‘t be finished in time for the iPhone launch.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
No bug fixes in 18.1 period. The release notes just say to see the beta 4 release notes. All that’s different is Apple Intelligence. It’s a fork, not an upgrade. They will continue to build both builds separately as they assume the Apple Intelligence stuff won‘t be finished in time for the iPhone launch.
Several people mentioned issues fixed in the 18.1 topic. Probably placebo or shittalk then.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I just realized, there is no read/send receipt on group messaging.
Yeah it‘s in line with iMessage groups. Sadly UP specifies that clients can ignore read receipts (and typing indicators) so Apple is still faithful to the spec in that regard.

Always bothered me that groups don‘t have delivery confirmation though.

Cchase88754321

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2015
I notice when I respond to a text from my phone on my Apple Watch, the Apple Watch displays SMS. Haven’t actually tried to send a message. Would rather just pull my phone out. Will test tomorrow if it sends as SMS instead of RCS

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I notice when I respond to a text from my phone on my Apple Watch, the Apple Watch displays SMS. Haven’t actually tried to send a message. Would rather just pull my phone out. Will test tomorrow if it sends as SMS instead of RCS
Do you have the watchOS Beta installed? If not, your Watch doesn‘t even know RCS is a thing (same for macOS and iPadOS).

It should still send as RCS on your phone since your Watch only relays text input.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Beta 5 release notes mention nothing about any updates to RCS.

I just updated and it still seems to work. Still have the aggressive RCS presence checks when I‘m toggling wifi / cellular connection.
RCS Business messaging toggle vanished for Telekom.de, not that much of an issue though.

Hope this Beta still brings under the hood improvements, like CarPlay allowing RCS to function. Will test that tomorrow when I‘m driving again.

//EDIT: Didn‘t even have to try CarPlay, even as passenger without an active CarPlay connection RCS is just gone even at full reception with 5G. I‘m starting to think a lot of RCS issues are tied to micro-changes in your network connection (e.g. moving too fast with your cellular continuously grabbing for signal).

Last edited:

ericthered926

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
I’ve been receiving “Your Messenger verification code is G-######” messages the last few days. I was confused, so I updated my Google password, but just realized it could be related to RCS? 15 Pro Max, 18.1 beta on T-mobile here. Is anybody else experiencing this?

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Still nothing for any of the Australian carriers - no love for Optus, Telstra or Vodafone (and likely any of the MVNOs), looks like we'll miss out on support in the iOS 18 release, unless there's an OTA carrier update coming on day one. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.