Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kapr

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2022
Hi...firstly sorry for my english.
Iam kinda new to the iPhone.
Still have my S22 Ultra...great phone but it is too big.
I try some iPhone 13/mini/Pro...i try like 10 Pro 13 and one problem that i had was with the zoom.
For unknown reason to me...phones just do not want to use 3x zoom when recording...they always crop from wide lens...even if it is sun outside or in a very bright room.
I know that f2.8 may seems to much but heck...even my 10x zoom on S22U with f4.9 do not have the problem..even with very low light.
So...are iPhones still so "stubborn" to not change the lens even if they should?

juanmaasecas

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2014
Hi...firstly sorry for my english.
Iam kinda new to the iPhone.
Still have my S22 Ultra...great phone but it is too big.
I try some iPhone 13/mini/Pro...i try like 10 Pro 13 and one problem that i had was with the zoom.
For unknown reason to me...phones just do not want to use 3x zoom when recording...they always crop from wide lens...even if it is sun outside or in a very bright room.
I know that f2.8 may seems to much but heck...even my 10x zoom on S22U with f4.9 do not have the problem..even with very low light.
So...are iPhones still so "stubborn" to not change the lens even if they should?
Are you recording 4k60, starting from 1x and switching to 3x while recording?

Kapr

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2022
I tried 4k60/4k30 even 1080/60/30...no change.
BTW i thought that iPhone can change lenses during the recording even at 4k60 or cant they?

I even tried some photos with 3x zoom and couple of those were just crops from main lens...even with TON of light.I read that iPhones have "problems" with tele photo lens...but for me it does not make sense...iPhone were THE phones that you can depend on...just point and click and you get the "best" image.

juanmaasecas

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2014
I tried 4k60/4k30 even 1080/60/30...no change.
BTW i thought that iPhone can change lenses during the recording even at 4k60 or cant they?

I even tried some photos with 3x zoom and couple of those were just crops from main lens...even with TON of light.I read that iPhones have "problems" with tele photo lens...but for me it does not make sense...iPhone were THE phones that you can depend on...just point and click and you get the "best" image.
Maybe you’re shootings too fast? You need to wait a couple of seconds until the lens changes from 1x zoomed in to the 3x lens.
In video 4k60, my phone refuses to change lenses while recording, I can only zoom digitally, I guess too much processing going on?

Kapr

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2022
Shooting too fast? I was recording the video...
And pictures? I waited long enough to lense to change.
Even that should not be the problem.
Dont know why the iPhones just do not want use telephoto :-/

n1ghtrain

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2011
I’ll admit that user error isn’t an issue with everyone, but it is there.
Well are you using Lightroom mobile for the ProRaw files? Apples default ending app is lousy for ProRaw. I don’t have a noise control issue when using Lightroom. In fact I’ve made many presets for my images. That saves so much time. Raw files definitely look better or worse depending on the editing app. For me, Lightroom is best. Snapseed doesn’t do well, too much color noise, I haven’t tried photoshop yet, the darkroom app is lousy at controlling highlights, Polarr is a good app, i haven’t tested ProRaw with it yet though. I exclusively use Lightroom mobile, it has great highlight control, it with adjust for the barrel distortion when you turn on optics, etc… So as mentioned, different apps produce different results for ProRaw. I never get any water color effects when using Lightroom. When my ProRaw images are opened in Lightroom, I don’t see any excessive noise unless ISO 6400 or so is used at night. Here are some samples From Lightroom…

Any chance sharing your presets?

Dianneeraser

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Well that just depends on what type of photographer you want to be and how you want the photos to look. I use the default camera all the time, however I use ProRAW exclusively so I don’t have any issues with my photos or the camera. To get great shots, you have to go beyond the jpeg! Apparently you folks are going to continue to complain and blame Apple for everything regarding the camera instead of applying yourselves to do better at photography. This thread is a big waste of my time and probably others as well… Take your mediocrity and run with it lol…
Good hell you’re obtuse…..

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Here’s a photo I took this morning of some dew drops on a leaf and some grass using the Moment app with the 3X camera and “focus peaking” via manual focus. I also reduce my exposure compensation to a -1.6 to give it a moody look after editing in Lightroom mobile. That focus peaking comes in extremely handy when you’re trying to achieve focus in a very small area, this way the default camera does not hunt around for a good focus point and miss what you’re trying to capture.

8AA16A98-A808-48C4-8A54-4AB8E822F62C.jpeg

n1ghtrain

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah I don’t mind sharing at all. Problem is I don’t know how to get them out of the mobile app Lightroom in order to share. If you can help me figure that out then I’ll be glad to pass them on…
I got you!

vladi

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2010
Here’s a photo I took this morning of some dew drops on a leaf and some grass using the Moment app with the 3X camera and “focus peaking” via manual focus. I also reduce my exposure compensation to a -1.6 to give it a moody look after editing in Lightroom mobile. That focus peaking comes in extremely handy when you’re trying to achieve focus in a very small area, this way the default camera does not hunt around for a good focus point and miss what you’re trying to capture.

View attachment 2020445

This is way oversharpened. Not sure if it's Moment doing this or perhaps you did it in post.

Reactions: Brault

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
This is way oversharpened. Not sure if it's Moment doing this or perhaps you did it in post.
It’s not the Moment app, I shot in ProRAW and edited in Lightroom mobile. It could be the upload quality because it looks good on my 12.9” iPad Pro. I used the same settings that I always use on the 3 X camera. those settings were created on my desktop computer in the Lightroom program and I copied those settings over to mobile so they will look the same on a big screen.

Dsmith7

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021
Just a random question, does it appear that the overproccesing of pictu is exclusive to the 13 series. I never had the the 12 and was just curious. I went from 11 pro max to 13 pro max

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
View attachment 2013994 One was taken with 11P and the other with 13P. I spent some time today comparing and I just can’t get on board with the processing. Such a shame. I really, really hope Apple fixes this with an update allowing users to toggle off this crazy.
That first shot with the 13 pro is unforgivable…

man. I feel so bad for every 13 pro owner that has an eye for detail :( that would drive me nuts.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
So has this been addressed or is it still a thing? I've been using the beta and couldn't really tell much of a difference even before I was on the beta.

Shouldibuy

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2022
so just to confirm this is a software issue not hardware right? so apple could eventually fix it right? i need to upgrade my phone and im about to purchase the pro max 13 but with the 14 coming out soon i am thinking maybe holding on for 2 months, do you guys think this issue will be solved by then?

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
so just to confirm this is a software issue not hardware right? so apple could eventually fix it right? i need to upgrade my phone and im about to purchase the pro max 13 but with the 14 coming out soon i am thinking maybe holding on for 2 months, do you guys think this issue will be solved by then?
they don't see it as an issue that's why they won't fix anything.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Lots of people didn't like the camera on the iPhone XS when it first came out (beautygate). Apple fixed that within a couple months. I think they would have done the same thing here if it was possible.

I wouldn't let this stop you from upgrading to the 13PM if you really want it, or just wait for the 14 since it's right around the corner. This is a topic every year... Just search for 'iPhone 12 bad camera', or 'iPhone 11 bad' camera, etc. There'll most likely be an 'iPhone 14 bad camera' thread in a couple months.

Last edited:

atari4

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2019

Yes wait 14, maybe apple will fix that awful camera, or buy an older iphone if you want better camera (iphone 11pm for example). Read that topic to make your own conclusions avoiding troll posts.

Reactions: Videogayme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.